Unemployed

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
Unemployed

I am kind of curious as to what people who are laid off are doing with their time .   Yes many will be looking for new employment or ways to start a business .   How many do you think have decided that they need to go back to school to improve their chances ?  How many have taken lesser paying jobs ?  How many are spending their time volunteering ?   How many gave up and are laying on a couch in their folks basement ?

What is your plan if it is you that gets the pink slip ?  How much worse do you suppose it will get ?

Just curious ... 

FM

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
Re: Unemployed

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/lost-job-lost-house-lost-anything/16268  ( sorry my AADD  keeps me from focusing on going back in the archives )  But  I have been led back to this post that Joe2baba  started  over a year ago  where many shared  then and    Maybe the people there can update us some .   I am so willing to learn from others mistakes when I can .   Anyone brave enough to share what it has been like going through these changing times ?

I still do not know anyone loosing their house or their job  but want to more prepared as the times come .  If a person here looses their job they do take a lesser paying job or two if they need .      But there are sure a lot more transient people coming through here heading south  .   And so many are strong young men who would be able to work at something .

I am still  looking at ways that I can cut back more to get  more things ready .

FM .

yoshhash's picture
yoshhash

It is not possible to put me into any neat category, but I was living off my savings for much of the last 1.5 years.  I am quite the contrarian amongst the Chris Martinson group, since I put us about $30,000 into credit card debt to buy a foreclosed fixer-upper in a city with notoriously high unemployment- Windsor, ON (right next to Detroit, no less! see http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/i-just-put-offer-house/15168)  I am also technically still a student.

I am an architect, but I was taking jobs that I would call "way beneath me", because- well, I had no choice.  General construction, renovations, etc. For about 8 months, I was an energy auditor.  Currently, I am selling solar panels/leasing rooftops for panels.  It was dicey for a while, was starting to sweat bullets as we reached our absolute credit limit with no way to pay it down.  (We are masters at saving/economizing, but that means nothing if you are earning next to nothing. )  However, things are looking up again, am starting to make some very good money with the solar panels. We are climbing out of debt, it wasn't easy but I think this was a perfect example of trusting your instincts.

I should mention that I absolutely love what I do, am not particularly concerned that I am not putting my education to full use.

Don't squander your downtime!  Find something to do, even for peanuts- as long as it's something you're good at or something you love.  Even volunteering has benefits you don't even realize.  Start your own business, or join up with like-minded people and pool resources.  The absolute worst thing you can do is get stuck in unemployment paralysis.  Start running, grow a garden, teach yourself a new language- it doesn't have to cost anything.  THROW OUT YOUR TV!!!!  Seriously.

ps- @ full moon:  I think I have ADD too....have finally consulted with a doctor.  Not sure if you were joking, but I look forward to being able to concentrate on one thing at a time.

land2341's picture
land2341

My husband got his pink slip in November 2009.  He was able to continue working through the shut down until Jan 2010.  ANy and all overtime or extra work that was offered he took.  When he was actually out of work he enrolled in a  training program to gain alternate skill sets.  Not college,  just a training program.  While he was in there he continued to both look for work,  and take any work he could get.  He did alot of things.  

During this time I added a part time job to my other part time time job.  We also leased land to put in bigger crops.  We expanded our flock and expanded our bartering group.  We bartered his labor for food and car repairs as well as under the table cash.  We also bartered skills -  he offered specific skills to a plumber who then fixed our plumbing....

We are unlike many others.  We had substantial savings.  We had been preparing for this, had no debt other than the mortgage, and we had one year's worth of mortgage payments in savings. If there was something we did wrong it was not really coming to grips with how high COBRA would be.  If it were not for the assistance I am not sure what we would have done. And we were able to put the kids on CHIP.   I have pre-existing conditions and require medication daily.  Our COBRA payment would have been higher than our mortgage.  As it is they are over $500 a month.

He is now in a steady contract job.  Still no benefits,  but he is supposed to get those in January.  Again, he is working as much as is available and we're rebuilding the savings and restocking the larder.  I went two whole months without going into a grocery store.  If he gets moved over to full time come Jnaury we'll heave a big sigh of relief,  but not let down our guard.  The days of long term secure employment are over.  

I think we did pretty good and but will not really consider this "over" until the benefits start.  But, the benefits issue really hit home.  No one would touch me.  I tried to get plans for the us outside of work and got lousy plans for extreme money.  The kids pediatrician took the CHIP,  but my daughter's hospital does not so we drove 40 minutes to get to another hospital for her stitches.  That system is a disaster.  

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

So glad things are working out for you  all  .  I heard (PM ) from a few others and they are getting by and prepping too.  

Today though I heard from a friend that they are going to divorce . Can you imagine in these times !  Not good ... never good but  now even worse .

I so will not rest until my property is paid off !

FM

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Your welcome  Athurart,   

I think this is a test.....  one like we may never have experienced .  One we can come through and on the other side be stronger .  Stronger in what is truly important  to us.  We can learn perseverance ,  Integrity ,Compassion , Resourcefulness, Self-reliance ,Assurance ` .. The list can go on and on   as we can be like gold going through a refiners fire ... and come out more pure .

Maybe we just have to look at things a little differently than the rest of the world ?

So willing to listen to things others have learned .  Although I usually learn everything the hard way .

FM

Godfrey's picture
Godfrey (not verified)

It’s not as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be.  There are a few companies that are trying to stem the tide of resumes by eliminating groups of people.  I’m sure it’s true that the unemployed are more apt to send a resume for job postings for which they are not qualified.  Stop doing that:  You’re giving the rest of your unemployed friends a bad name.by (Suzanne Lucas)

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Well no big deal when it is your neighbor who looses their job . A rather  large deal if it is you who has no job .  I will tell you my husband was laid off from his job for almost 3 years . He had to take a job at 1/3 the pay . We did not  get to take unemployment because we already receive a retirement check from the Air Force .  Before he was put back on we had even put our socks and underwear on the Credit card .   I am here to tell you it takes a long time to pay these off .   I am thankful we were able to cut back and not loose our place .  But  there needs to be shared ways to live frugal  for those who do not have the resources, like many here do ,to buy gold or land .   Cutting your expenses so that you can live on minimum wage pay if  need be . 

FM

nkdroth's picture
nkdroth

My husband and I were' lucky'.  We sold our house at the top of the market and paid off all our debt.   So when he was laid off ( Jan 2009) we took the payout .  A year later he was able to find a part time job in retail for 40% for his pay.  We are fine... We  use cash only and live within our means. nk:) 

land2341's picture
land2341
Godfrey wrote:

It’s not as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be.  There are a few companies that are trying to stem the tide of resumes by eliminating groups of people.  I’m sure it’s true that the unemployed are more apt to send a resume for job postings for which they are not qualified.  Stop doing that:  You’re giving the rest of your unemployed friends a bad name.by (Suzanne Lucas)

I understand that there are issues of people applying for jobs for which they are not qualified for.  I grasp that this may be skewing the numbers when they say 700 people applied for a job.  I grasp that.

But, I am genuinely unclear as to which "it" you are referring to in "It's not as big a deal."   I assure you when the primary bread winner loses his job it is a big deal.  When you live in an area that has maybe three major employers and two shut down and the other lays off 1/3 of its people it is a very big deal.  Unemployment figures as listed by the government are not realistic.  Come on out and smell the poverty.  This is a big deal.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments