Turnover Rate for This Site?

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
JAG's picture
JAG
Turnover Rate for This Site?

Hi Everyone,

I want to ask some of the more longer-term forum members if they have an impression of the turnover rate on this site. Though I truly value this site and its forum communiity, I think I am starting to get seriously burned out (to the point that its affecting my health). I have been an active participant on the forums for about 6 months and I was wondering if this 6 month burnout is common among forum members.

Thanks for your input. 

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Re: The 100 Hundredth Post Syndrome...

Jeff,

HEEELLLPPPP!!!!

I've been there quite recently...

The answer is simply to step back and find your centre again. Remember, it was much worse six months ago when all you could actually see going on was inside the forum and em, oh, the price of fuel just on the way down after a calorific $147 a barrel in July.

Learn to jump off running is my advise...saves on graized knees and plasters.

I also advise this :- Go find a long timer here thats earned their stripes with large amounts of posts and check see whether they have an email sign next to their name. Click on that and you'll find infront of you the words 'Track' and 'Contact'. Click 'Track' and you'll find access to every thread they ever posted on. Now for the good bit... Go right back to the very first thread they wrote on and start reading back to the present. Cathartic is a word I would use to express a kind of recovery... I also feel that the earlier posts had a great deal less traffic and the conversations are many times more constructive over all. For example :-

New here and scared

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/new-here-and-scared/9129

...just out of curiosity, do you recognise how many from that group are still writing here...??

Ohh yeah, there are a few here (me!!), who could maybe do with reading more than they write, or spend too much time hogging the guts out of threads like a cancer until they're dead. Many was a time when I wanted to write something and certain unmentionables chucked a tangent in that was un-surviveable...

Lastly, set a strict time that you'll read the forums and don't break that rule by hell or high water. The info will still be their tomorrow. You won't find much on a nuclear attack and 4 minute warning being written in here; I'll beUndecided...Wink... or boiling an egg with my 4. Meditative music is a therapy I find useful and this lad always effects my writing somewhat if I play him in the background like I am right now :-

(Rynten Okazaki) Living Naturally - Sungha Jung

...there has to be a better than good reason for being here than hunting out doom and gloom to worry over. Otherwise you're just going to have to hit the drugs :-

Effects of LSD

Best,

Paul

strabes's picture
strabes
Re: Turnover Rate for This Site?

I've only been on board a few months, but I felt it as well.  I took a break a couple weeks ago, and I won't be re-joining some of the dialogues that occur on here, like endless debates about inflation/deflation, or the price of gold, or economic cycles, etc. because it just ends up being a rehash of what people have heard from other sources...we might as well just go to those original sources rather than participate in 2nd-hand debates about them.  I was also investing too much time on some of the economic/financial topics as I was trying to carefully teach fairly complex material.  I can't do that anymore, unless I decide to charge for it on my own site or something.  :)    I kinda lost myself in that.  I'm resetting boundaries.  I think that's a good idea for everyone and I suspect that you'll find yourself less burned out when you do so.

But I also realized that what's happening here sometimes is sort of a facilitation/therapy group for people as we work our way through the angst, fear, sadness, worry, powerlessness, isolation, etc associated with coming to terms with our situation, especially since we live in a world that's oblivious to it.  It seems some on this site have even been effectively abandoned by their extended families as they tried to engage them on these issues.  So, I think that's a beautiful aspect of this site.  That's actually damn cool.  It's great to see people reach out and then be cared for by others.  But again, boundary setting is necessary.  It can be a beautiful thing to participate in group facilitation, but you need to develop and maintain your own personal boundaries. You can't hold the pain of the world.  You can't feel burdened to "be there" for everybody that posts a question or concern.  And you can't let yourself feel like you're missing something if you don't stay current on every forum post.  

I'm glad you've experienced the burnout.  It's the body/mind's way of waking us up to the need for self-care.  The better we care for ourselves, the more we'll be able to care for others.  But now I sound too much like I'm talking to my therapy clients.  :)

I don't know about Chris' plans for the site, but I've heard he has plans to evolve the site to a new level which will help facilitate movement forward rather than just a chaotic melange of forum posts.  That will probably help as well. 

Peace. 

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

Jeff,

I hear you! I was actually wondering about a related question just last night. You and I both joined in October of last year, and it seems to me that I recall browsing the forums then and seeing a lot of people who had joined substantially earlier than me. But, now, most of the post I see are from people who joined around the time you and I joined, or sometime thereafter. There are only a few current, regular respondents who joined earlier (I actually browsed several old posts and checked). So, from a slightly different perspective, might it seem that a number of people may regularly cycle through and then leave?

For me, I still enjoy the site and the forums very much, but do so on a more limited basis than I did previously. I restrict my regular forum viewing to those posts that are of greatest interest and/or potentially most beneficial. Other than the occasional (hopefully) humorous comment, I try to restrict my posts to subjects to which I feel I can meaningfully contribute, or when I have questions I would like to have answered. I also enjoy many of the members on the forums, and have come to think of many as part of my "extended community". I also check out Davos' daily briefings, which are one of my primary sources of new information.

As in all things, balance is key. My wife would probably say I spend too much time here, and she is probably correct (as usual, honey), but I realize I have moderated my viewing, even if she hasn't recognized it. I'm not burned out, by any means, but like everyone else here, I have another life to live in the "real" world. I am actually spending more time getting out the CM message locally, which is probably more important than my time spent here.

Davos's picture
Davos

Really great posts!

Personally everyday I read the news I learn more - but a lot of it is more of the same picture coming into sharper focus and while the art is nice it isn't a sailboat on the ocean that I'd prefer to be looking at.

Now I'm trying to use a guiding principle of mine: Bad is opportunity for good.

Just the other day I posted a question about solar after reading the oil shock article and thinking about all that cow that was slaughtered and is heading towards my freezer after Mr. Butcher does his thing. When done it will be close to 800 bucks and the freezer needs something more for a backup then a gas generator if there is the possibility of rolling power outages brought on by possible fuel shortages.

I'm glad it wasn't answered because it got me started on a solar jihad.

I found that solar panels can be made (in my basement/garage) - and for a fraction of the cost. I'm now reading an eBook I bought for like 12 bucks on how to do this. Who knows where it will lead, but I already have some design ideas that might make panels more efficient. I've also started tinkering with some automotive ideas.

Basically it is pretty clear where this (econoDoom) is heading, and while interesting I'm trying my hardest to focus on big needs which could become the impetus (however the hell you spell that) for invention/positive change.

Take care!

jrf29's picture
jrf29

I certainly felt some burn-out after a while.  For me, it's like treading water in fine wine; the subject matter is very interesting, but ultimately you never make solid progress in any direction, because everything you have written in the past becomes lost and forgotten, and when the question comes up again it must be addressed anew.

I think it would be nice if the site could be altered to allow users to make definitive "guides" relating to common issues, almost like a wiki for the most common topics. 

For example: instead of people asking the same questions about solar panels every month until the people who know about energy become tired of answering, what if there were the ability to work on "The Definitive (Your Topic Here) Guide?" 

We have many people on this site who are bona fide experts in a variety of areas.  Why not put that knowledge to work?  People could apply their knowledge and create permanent, informative documents, and collectively edit these documents to produce something that will last, and which will be useful to anybody looking for basic information on a given subject.  The ultimate product might be a set of free downloadable pdf's.  What do people think?

Brandon's picture
Brandon
Davos wrote:

I found that solar panels can be made (in my basement/garage) - and for a fraction of the cost. I'm now reading an eBook I bought for like 12 bucks on how to do this. Who knows where it will lead, but I already have some design ideas that might make panels more efficient. I've also started tinkering with some automotive ideas.

Davos...was looking for an answer to your question in that thread as well. Ended up doing some research on it, getting out the old electronics books from school (Watts = Amps x Volts...man, I better get to work!)

Could you drop the couple links (yes, I realize the backwardness of this) regarding making panels?...hadn't heard of this.

As far as the original topic of this thread is concerned...I hear ya. But I am torn because so much of the information (especially the permaculture/gardening thread) has helped me actually ACT, not just read. Same with the firearms thread. I've met more of my neighbors because of this site, and the financial analysis of Dr. Martenson has helped me maintain perspective surrounded by a world of denial.

Whad'ya'know?....looks like I joined in October too...hmmm...crazy.

JAG's picture
JAG

Thanks Paul, Stabes, Dr. P, and Davos for your input, feedback, and support. You guys are the best! I will happily heed your advice.

Thanks again 

Davos's picture
Davos

Hello Jrf29, wow, that is a super idea, I hope it gets adopted.

Brandon, shoot me an email and I'll dig up the links off my box downstairs, I'm on my wife's Mac now....Take care.

Yeah this site is super for getting people to take positive action to better themselves and to help others get beyond this mess of the 3 E's coming to one nasty point.

I'm not wrapped up in the calls for revolt, I think like the movie Batman where the guy says this city needs a giant enema - this country is getting one and a lot of bad stuff from poiticians to corrupt bankers to over leverage will come out. 

c1oudfire started a thread of what won't be missed after TSHTF and I was amazed at how un-alone I was. 

PS Brandon my email is [email protected]  

JAG's picture
JAG
jrf29 wrote:

I certainly felt some burn-out after a while.  For me, it's like treading water in fine wine; the subject matter is very interesting, but ultimately you never make solid progress in any direction, because everything you have written in the past becomes lost and forgotten, and when the question comes up again it must be addressed anew.

I think it would be nice if the site could be altered to allow users to make definitive "guides" relating to common issues, almost like a wiki for the most common topics. 

For example: instead of people asking the same questions about solar panels every month until the people who know about energy become tired of answering, what if there were the ability to work on "The Definitive (Your Topic Here) Guide?" 

We have many people on this site who are bona fide experts in a variety of areas.  Why not put that knowledge to work?  People could apply their knowledge and create permanent, informative documents, and collectively edit these documents to produce something that will last, and which will be useful to anybody looking for basic information on a given subject.  The ultimate product might be a set of free downloadable pdf's.  What do people think?

Thanks for the reply. I think your suggestion is fantastic and I think re-organizing the site in this way would dramatically raise its value for everyone. Perhaps this is what Dr. Martenson has up his sleeve with the coming site overhaul.

Oh yeah, the "treading water in fine wine" analogy represents my feelings exactly! Thanks.

becky's picture
becky

Hi Jeff,

Funny, the "Things I Won't Miss..." thread really really got me depressed today. To the point of crying.  I kept thinking about this movie I saw back in the 80's where this angel talked about missing the feeling of newsprint on his fingers.  My point is that if the "s" really does hit the fan, it's not going to be like some cultural neutron bomb that just gets rid of the modern life things that annoy us or are deemed trivial.  Everything will change and we may actually miss some of those stupid trivial things.  We probably also won't have a lot of time for a slower pace of life.  It will be hard work just to survive.  

Sorry for the rant, but I just had to get that out of my system.

Yes, I am feeling like I've been getting more and more burned out by everything -- including this website.  I value it, the information, and the sense of community so much.  But, it is really overwhelming at times.  I'm glad that it's spring and I can work in my little tiny garden.  Just finding something constructive to do really helps.  Music also helps.  I put on disco music (probably on somebody's list of things they won't miss) -- it was hard to stay sad while listening to it.Smile

becky 

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
jrf29 wrote:

Great idea, and from one of the "old-timers", too! 

BSV's picture
BSV

These are good comments. Right after joining this community I realized that one's worth in the community seems to be related to the number of posts. Case in point, the more you post, the higher your rank in the community. I won't go there. I decided to ration my posts and I'm sticking to that. I seem to be a "full member" -- whatever that means. I have no interest in advancing to "bronze", "silver", "gold" or platinum" status. If it happens, fine. If not, fine.

If I have something I feel is worth saying, I will type it at you. Otherwise, I will review your posts with fascinated interest and leave it at that. This is a way of retaining my sanity in a crazy world. I wish you all the best.

BSV

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
becky wrote:

I'm glad that it's spring and I can work in my little tiny garden.  Just finding something constructive to do really helps.  Music also helps.  I put on disco music (probably on somebody's list of things they won't miss) -- it was hard to stay sad while listening to it.Smile

becky 

becky -

Good on ya.  Make no apologies for what kind of music you like.  While you won't find any disco on my ipod, I can certainly understand and appreciate how it makes you feel.  I got lost in a 43 minute long version of Dark Star today at work - 12/6/73, Cleveland, OH. 

May have to go track down my Workingman's Dead vinyl now.  I think it is behind my Brothers Johnson, Rufus, Dazz and Van McCoy albums.

Be happy!  Cool

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
becky wrote:

I put on disco music (probably on somebody's list of things they won't miss) -- it was hard to stay sad while listening to it.Smile

Oh, I still love some disco. Child of the 60's and 70's. I remember all the "Disco Sucks" t-shirts, but that didn't stop me from going dancing on the weekends (insert image of white, awkward, future surgeon disco-dancing here). Ha!

Okay, I'm burned out for the night. Off to bed. Peace, everyone! 

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Becky,

you sweet thing!!

You Know What You Need??? :-

Best,

Paul

kemosavvy's picture
kemosavvy

Jeff, funny I should read your email after a return from a one week vacation from this site (although, to be honest I posted my podcast as you know). I think this post is very timely for all of us that joined up in october in the eye of the storm and are just now getting to the point of evolving beyond the 'student' phase. here's how i've seen it play out for me and i think it may resonate with others:

at, first i couldn't get enough financial and economic information. i have always been an avid student of markets and economics but up until last summer the structure of financial instruments was pretty much hidden from public view. After september of 2008 that all changed, is was as if the curtain was pulled back on wall street and CDO's, MBS's, CDS's, etc. were all reverse engineered and in the pages of the New York Times! I had alot of catching up to do.

and while i was catching up i also had to educate myself on so many other topics of absolute necessity; peak oil, environmental issues, the political machine, the federal reserve. etc.. in all my other previous obsessions i usually had my mind wrapped around it within a few days but this particular journey of knowledge (obsession) had so many paths that i've come to the conclusion that i cannot travel them all. at some point i would have to go from diagnosing the problem to fixing the problem. this is where i am and you may be as well.

so what have i realized? i've realized that the information gathering i have done was absolutely necessary to lift me out of the 'american dream' fog and spring myself into action. i'm in that phase right now. our podcast is designed around this concept, 'the second phase of the CM website'

my next podcast will be with a biodiesel expert and i'm burning the brain cells learning about that. it'll be posted on April 23-24th.

steve

becky's picture
becky

Thanks Paul!  That brought a smile to my face.  By the way, was that a chick fight breaking out at about the 1 minute point?  It looked like some hair-pulling and shoving.  And then back to dancing.  Like nothing happened.  Ahh, the seventies...

becky 

James Wandler's picture
James Wandler

jrf29,

I really like your idea.  In the last podcast Chris and Becca mentioned some new features coming for the site - by specialty and by geography so maybe your idea will get traction!

JAG,

I do hope that with the changes coming the site will move to the next level.  In the meantime I wonder if some people that post on this site get trapped in an "eddy" (i.e. an eddy being the part of the current in a river that gets trapped behind rocks and the current may even move upstream.) 

I believe that Chris has two primary goals for this site: a) once you have progressed from awareness to understanding then take appropriate action at the personal and community level and b) get the word out to continue the exponential growth curve of awareness of cm.com so that others themselves can continue with a) and b) - or at least begin a process of new thought ("planting seeds").  Chris feels a sense of urgency with this and if you consider the threats and opportunities I'm beginning to see why.  Time is short.  There are a lot of people on this planet that need the opportunity to be helped with his information.

So where does talking to each other in forums fit in with those two goals?   

Are we helping bring others along on this journey that are new to the site?  If so, a laudable goal. 

Are we trying to find and share new sources of information on how we can take action?  Again, sounds like a laudable goal.

Are we trying to find new sources of information to deepen our understanding?  That's what I do and this is why I don't have that many posts even though I've been around for a while.  I also skip a lot of the forums - I'm too busy learning from other sources to acquire new tools that I can use to leverage my effort, and the effort of others, as much as possible.  I also want to be sure that I'm moving in the right direction.  Going to Rowe was a big help in this regard.

Chris has a work ethic like I can't begin to imagine - and yet I get the impression he lives a balanced life.  He isn't trapped in an eddy - he's blazing a trail and we are hanging on to his coattails.  Personally I do what little I can to help while I'm busy taking action in my own way.  But I do have to sacrifice conversation to get things done.

I hope this helps - I'm just trying to answer your question - and it happens that the above is just a general feeling I've developed lately - it certainly isn't directed at anyone, least of all yourself.  We are in a process of transition and we progress at our own pace.  However we do have full control of every decision we make through the course of each day.  May your decisions be productive ones.

Cheers,

James

P.S. If this is affecting your health it sounds like you need to bring some balance into your life.  Make sure you are getting exercise, time with family and friends, eat properly, do some fun things you really like to do, find some way to shut all this out for a while, plan some activities to give yourself fun things to look forward to, make taking action and partipating on cm.com a fun activity, etc.  I have to work on all of these things myself too!

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

52 seconds in!!!Laughing Well spotted...

Best,

Paul

grl's picture
grl

Hi Jeff,

This is my first post in probably over one month. I got so burned out on this site that I tried to remove myself as a member. That wouldn't work so I just changed my member name. I was fairly active on the site and I must say that although I am not an obsessive type, I felt a compulsion to spend many hours reading the posts here. I can't even explain it. I think my views got somewhat distorted and my friends were probably starting to think I was losing my mind. What I have found since I broke the habit is that any post by Chris Martenson is worth my time. The rest of it, well...probably not worth my time.

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

I've lost track of how long I've been reading this site. Less than a year, but only by a little, I think. I remember when CH. 15 was first published, so just before then, whenever then was...

I am really glad this thread came up, because frankly I worry sometimes about some of the comments I see in the forums. Yes, the economy is bad and will get worse for all the reasons CM has warned us about. But life is short enough to start with, and worrying never helped anyone.

Yes, it makes sense to be prepared. But allowing your knowledge of what's on the horizon to interfere with your happiness today just doesn't make sense. Enjoy life and limit your "Crash Preparation" activities to what you can do while maintianing a positive outlook on life. This is a big deal, but it's not worth compromising your health (physical, mental or emotional) for.

Something I noticed about Chris and Becca Martenson when I met them is that they are very positive, upbeat people. They frame their knowledge of what's coming as a good excuse to get really involved in their community, and going out of their way to become friends with their neighbors and the parents of their kids' friends.

Sure, this will be a really tough time for America. But it won't be as bad as WWII in Europe and it probably won't get as bad as the breakup of the soviet union. Lots of people lived through those events, grew closer to their loved ones, and survived to move on to times of prosperity.You will too.

My advice is that if all this gloom and doom is getting to you, take a break from the forums. Keep reading Chris' blog - it contains important information. But as valuable as some of the forum discussions may be, they sure can be depressing. It's just not worth it to create undue stress in your life over this.

If you've been spending beyond your means on borrowed money, stop doing that and try to start saving. But beyond that, whatever is going to happen is going to happen, and you can't stop it so worrying about it won't help. If you can prepare for potentially difficult times in a way that feels positive to you, do so. But in my opinion, lapsing into paranoia and building bomb shelters serves only to detract from your quality of life needlessly.

Erik

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

When people leave I don't think its because they have begun to disagree or just given up, as others have mentioned I have seen the info here function as a seed that causes people, after they digest it and gone through the various stages of depression, to start making plans and looking for other sites/ sources of info on what they can or should do next. IMHO anyway.

nkdroth's picture
nkdroth

All the information and opinions on this site do become overwhelming at times imho....But also as a result I am a lot better informed and prepared than I otherwise would have been. Overall it's been more positive than negative for me personally.  I enjoy the daily news put together but Davos ...that is a time saver.... and of course, Chris' blogs.  I do try to pace myself if I start becoming anxious. I find the more I'm prepared the less anxious I feel.nk:)

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Oh and one more thing, no everyone can afford to pay for the membership so they might drift away for that.

I'm not against Chris charging for things, hes got bills to pay after all like the rest of us.

Woodman's picture
Woodman

Since last summer with the help of this site and others I've raised my awareness and understanding and have taken steps to protect my investments.  Now, although I keep an eye on evolving events, I'm more focused on making changes in my life and spreading awareness to others, and continuing to enjoy life.

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

I'm somewhat of a junkie here, reading everything since taking the CC in 9/08, going to Rowe, trying not to post BS. For me, this IS my community, unfortunately, and reflects my difficulty in getting my wife and others surrounding me to see this as other than a group of catastrophists. I have made a number of attempts to promote the CC to no avail. I have one more shot with a poitical film group but I am under no illusions. I keep in touch with a few Rowe folks but, aside from buying a few small things, have been unable to effect much personal or local change. The posts can be depressing or banas but, like any info, you separate the wheat from the chaff, the ideologues from the information-providers.

The only turnover for me will be raspberry or, perhaps, lemon.

SG

scotthw's picture
scotthw

Though I have followed some of Chris' advice and that of some forum members, the single best thing all of this has done for me, is some semblance of mental preparation, my mindset.  After reading Orlav's "Reinventing Collapse", I realized your own mental state (ahem, a CALM, resolute one) is your best preparation, even beyond all the intricate, frenzied machinations we can fall into, physically preparing, as important as that may be. 

During a state of collapse, to whatever extent it goes, one of the single greatest harms that can befall a society is the mental state of the breadwinner in the household, whether that is male or female.  That person's sense of self worth plummets and though they may know logically its not their fault, it frequently leads to ... well, some pretty dark consequences. 

Women, who tend to be better socializers than men and value relationships more than possessions, seem to fare better psychologically.  On that notion I have worked hard at getting my head around "its going to be OK no matter what " and I do believe that.  Hopefully that sensibility will become second nature to me as all this unfolds.

Scott

JAG's picture
JAG
Thanks Everyone for the Fantastic Replies!

When I started this thread I thought I would get a few replies, but I had know idea that I would see the overwhelming support that I got. From the bottom of my heart...Thank you. This is truly a great community.

Now I think my wife and I are taking the day off from our business and headed to the beach for a day of R&R. Thanks again.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

As 'the elder' here (I think I was the third person to register, and I now have nearly 1300 posts under my belt), I might have to add to the fray...

As most of you would know, I saw this [email protected]#k coming a long time ago....  though I was somewhat surprised to see things developing THIS early, I really did not expect TSHTF much before 2012, but there you go, no one's perfect, least me..!

As a consequence though, I have been busy preparing, and I now have so many positive things to do (and posting here I count as one of them) that I think I am able to cope with all the crapola.  I mainly suffer from frustration as I see solutions everywhere, it doesn't have to get really ugly, just a little bit ugly.. :-)

I agree this site needs a redesign.  I also think the search engine is underused and under valued, especially by the many newbies who come here and ask the same questions that were asked (and answered) many months ago.  There must be someone out there who knows how to design websites that can rearrange the way things are found.

The only thing I find hard to keep up with is following threads.  A thread can be really interesting to follow, just as I go to bed on the other side of the world.  Then you guys rip into some new great discussions, and the task bar shows me a whole lot of new threads, the ones I was following are long gone while I slept.  I know I know...  it's hard to satisfy everyone.   Don't know how you get around this one.

Maybe, along the "start here if you're new"  buttons at the top, some of the 'definitiv' threads should be listed...  maybe someone (some poor voluntary sucker?) could pull all the very best posts and catalogue them...  a big ask, I'd hate to think how many thousands of posts there have been...

The newbies definitely to be catered for somehow, or the whole message could be lost in cyberspace...

Just my ramblings.

Mike. 

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
Damnthematrix wrote:

As 'the elder' here (I think I was the third person to register, and I now have nearly 1300 posts under my belt), I might have to add to the fray...

As most of you would know, I saw this [email protected]#k coming a long time ago....  though I was somewhat surprised to see things developing THIS early, I really did not expect TSHTF much before 2012, but there you go, no one's perfect, least me..!

As a consequence though, I have been busy preparing, and I now have so many positive things to do (and posting here I count as one of them) that I think I am able to cope with all the crapola.  I mainly suffer from frustration as I see solutions everywhere, it doesn't have to get really ugly, just a little bit ugly.. :-)

I agree this site needs a redesign.  I also think the search engine is underused and under valued, especially by the many newbies who come here and ask the same questions that were asked (and answered) many months ago.  There must be someone out there who knows how to design websites that can rearrange the way things are found.

The only thing I find hard to keep up with is following threads.  A thread can be really interesting to follow, just as I go to bed on the other side of the world.  Then you guys rip into some new great discussions, and the task bar shows me a whole lot of new threads, the ones I was following are long gone while I slept.  I know I know...  it's hard to satisfy everyone.   Don't know how you get around this one.

Maybe, along the "start here if you're new"  buttons at the top, some of the 'definitiv' threads should be listed...  maybe someone (some poor voluntary sucker?) could pull all the very best posts and catalogue them...  a big ask, I'd hate to think how many thousands of posts there have been...

The newbies definitely to be catered for somehow, or the whole message could be lost in cyberspace...

Just my ramblings.

Mike. 

Wow, you were one of the first registered users? I had assumed the site had been around much longer than when I started to follow it, and later joined it in October 2008. And, nearly 1300 posts? That's impressive; I don't imagine I'll ever get there.

Good suggestions, too. It is indeed common to see the same questions asked and answered. Overall, from the posts I have seen, most respondents to these repeat questions have been gracious, either simply answering the question again, or linking to a similar, older reply. It would be great if things could be better organized with respect to the forums, but as a guy who hasn't had tremendous exposure to other forums, I don't know if there are better solutions out there which could be emulated.

Also, and I know that CM and others have addressed this, but I think it is important that those of us who do contribute fairly regularly keep in mind the goals of this site, and try our best not to be off-putting to those who are newly arrived. Most have been very good at this, I think, but there have been a few exceptions.

As to following the threads in which I am interested, I usually check the "My Posts" section under the "My Account" heading at the top of the page. If there is a thread in which I am interested, but don't necessarily have anything meaningful to add at the time, I post a brief note, just so that it will be available in the "My Posts" section for later follow up. I realize there is a "Subscribe To This Feed" button at the top of each thread (denoted by a little orange button), but I am as yet unclear how this actually works, as I still have some difficulty relocating those threads, unless I have posted on them.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments