Trouble posting links

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
switters's picture
switters
Trouble posting links

I'm having trouble including links with the <a href> tag.

I create the link as follows <a href="http://PeakProsperity.com>link</a> and then choose "filtered HTML".  But when I post the message, it isn't converted to a link.

Why?  I've seen other posts with links so I know it should work.

cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
Re: Trouble posting links
I'm not sure why.  All I can see is that you don't have the enclosing (") in the link.

I copied your code, added the (")-mark and it looks like a working link ,,,? 

link

Fixed code = <a href="http://PeakProsperity.com">link</a> 

switters's picture
switters

Hmmm... I know I had another one earlier where both quotes were there but it still showed up as text.

I'll try again:

<a href="http://PeakProsperity.com">link</a>

Did it work?

EDIT: looks like it's still not working for some reason.  All of the text is running together as well - I guess I need to use <p> tags to create space between paragraphs since it's filtered HTML? 

admin's picture
admin

A couple of comments.

First, if you're attempting to add a link with the rich-text editor enabled, you need to do so by highlighting the text you wish to turn into a link, then clicking the icon above which looks like a "chain link".  A window will then pop up which allows entry of the URL to be referenced. If you attempt to write "<a href="http://www.peakprosperity.com">link</a>" in the rich-text editor, it's just going to be displayed as text, not a link. 

The reason it works this way is the text editor doesn't know if you're wanting to create a link, or if maybe you're writing a forum posting about HTML programming and want to display the actual written code.  This approach allows for both to be included.

Second, it is possible to have "<a href="http://www.peakprosperity.com">link</a>" recognized automatically as a link, but only if the rich-text editor is disabled.  This is done by clicking the "disable rich-text" link below any entry field.

I hope this helps and let me know if there are any questions.

switters's picture
switters

I appreciate your reply.  The reason I haven't been using the "chain link" method is that when I highlight text, and then click on the "chain link" to insert a link, a small little window pops up but it remains blank inside.  There is no text at all and no place to enter the link.  See the screen grab below. 

As you can see, I have no problem with the "insert image" command.  When I click that, a box pops up and I am able to enter text for the URL and choose the border, vertical and horizontal space.

But for some reason, when I click on the "chain link" I just get a blank box.  I'm using Safari 3.1.2 on a Mac running OS X 10.5.5 (latest version). 

switters's picture
switters
UPDATE: I tested this using Camino on OS X and had no problem.  So, there seems to be an issue with Safari on the Mac and the "chain link" input.
admin's picture
admin

Ah hah!  Yes ... thanks for letting me know you use Safari.  This is the issue.  There is a known bug with using the rich-text editor with Safari.  This will be mentioned in the site FAQs to be published in the near future.

If you use Safari, you have one of two options: (a) disable the rich-text editor and type the HTML directly, or (b) use an alternate browser such as Firefox (recommended) or Camino.  Sorry for the difficulties.

switters's picture
switters

Ah, well... I've been going back and forth between Safari and Camino anyways, so this is just one more reason to use Camino!

Thanks for your help.

Chris

switters's picture
switters

I did a little research and learned that, as you suggested, there is an issue with TinyMCE comments and Safari for the Mac.  However, if you are using Drupal there seems to be a potential fix.  I'm not a programmer so I don't know if this is a viable solution for CM.com, but would you be willing to check it out?

http://drupal.org/node/283819

I'd be very happy if this works, and I imagine a lot of your other Mac users would be too.  Please let me know.

For the moment I'm using Camino, but I'd really prefer to use Safari.

admin's picture
admin

Thanks for taking time to investigate, I do appreciate it.  This is an issue I understand quite well.  It is really a problem of dependencies, and unfortunately we won't be able to solve this as soon as we would like.

As the chart on this page shows, TinyMCE works on Mac OS X and Safari 3.x if using the 3.x branch of TinyMCE.  However, as this page shows (especially if you download the modules and read their instructions), Drupal 5.x requires the use of TinyMCE 2, whereas Drupal 6.x requires the use of TinyMCE 3.  TinyMCE 3 is not supported in Drupal 5.x.

So you may ask, "why not just upgrade to Drupal 6.x and solve all of the problems?"  Ah!  I do wish it was that easy.  While the core Drupal 6.x code has now been available for some time, the problem is most supporting modules have been in various states of Alpha, Beta, and Release Candidates for the past six months.  Having played around with these modules extensively, there's no way I would feel comfortable running a production site with such unstable key supporting modules.

Just to give you a sense of how "bleeding edge" some of the modules are, it was announced on November 5 that CCK 2.0 was finally ready for production use with Drupal 6. On October 17, the Views 2.0 module was announced as ready for production use with Drupal 6.  CCK and Views are two cornerstone modules, and they have become available in production versions in the past three weeks.  I'm sure you could imagine the status of various smaller modules we use for the site, where many of them are still in development, early testing, or beta.

As much as I'd like to take care of this issue, it's really a matter of trade-offs.  I don't feel comfortable at this point jeopardizing the stability of the site to ensure we add new features.  I hope you can understand.  We will eventually get there in time.  Smile

switters's picture
switters

I really appreciate your reply and I realize this isn't a high priority.  Mac users are a significant minority and I'm accustomed to having to wait for stuff like this.

On the other hand, I'm sure many of your Mac users would be very grateful if this could be remedied!  To that end, have you heard of FCKeditor?  It works with both Drupal 5.x and 6.x.  I tested it with Safari and the link function works flawlessly.  It also adds a lot of word processing functionality that isn't available in TinyMCE.

Here's the FCKeditor page on Drupal's site, and here's a demonstration page where you can test the editor.

Perhaps this could make it into the next site upgrade?  

Thought I'd give it a try, anyways. Smile

admin's picture
admin

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've used FCKeditor before, and it's certainly something we'll consider going forward.  The nice thing about TinyMCE is it does have some integrations with other modules that are useful.

Also just so you're aware, TinyMCE has *lots* more word processing capabilities.  The functionality available via TinyMCE and FCKeditor is just about identical.  That doesn't mean we expose all of it to end users.  Wink  A lot of the other options in rich-text editors add minimal value, but maximum ways to break the layout/design of any given web page.

switters's picture
switters
I agree that more features in the editor aren't useful.  I'd just love to be able to use Safari at some point.  Thanks again for your consideration.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments