Trick Question For Obama's Economic Team

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
Carl Veritas's picture
Carl Veritas
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 23 2008
Posts: 294
Trick Question For Obama's Economic Team

 

American taxpayer debt now stands at $10.6 Trillion (Fed government borrows, you pay).

 

Question for the Economic Team-----

How can the US economy create new jobs without adding to the enormous debt or raising taxes?

 

srbarbour's picture
srbarbour
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 23 2008
Posts: 148
Re: Trick Question For Obama's Economic Team
Quote:

Question for the Economic Team-----

How can the US economy create new jobs without adding to the enormous debt or raising taxes?

A: You borrow as much as you can get away with, then default. Ta-da! No debt.  Tongue out

--

Steve

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 17 2008
Posts: 807
Re: Trick Question For Obama's Economic Team

answer ...............you dont answer the question because they have no interest in creating jobs.

this is about the greatest transfer of wealth in the history of the world. you want jobs ? go to asia

krogoth's picture
krogoth
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 18 2008
Posts: 576
Re: Trick Question For Obama's Economic Team

Well, they better create jobs, because if the tax burden is on the employed alone, then they would be taxed at about 50-60% on average in the coming years. Imagine working 6 months or more a year on average just to pay back all this crap, because it very well may happen. This burden will grow as more people become unemployed or retire.

 

Close the imports (except oil) and create or manafacture in America only, or make imported products extremely high priced for foreign countries to export into our country, ie extremely high tariffs.

 

 

Ray Hewitt's picture
Ray Hewitt
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Apr 5 2008
Posts: 458
Re: Trick Question For Obama's Economic Team

How can the US economy create new jobs without adding to the enormous debt or raising taxes?

New jobs are built on savings and production from savings. The current system is designed to create money from debt. Expect massive unemployment until savings exceeds the supply of debt money. Government cannot create jobs because it has no mechanism, no feedback, on what consumers value. It mimics the market while misallocating capital. Every time they screw up, they blame the market (consumers) for not doing what they expected.

Obama hired the same retreads that made this mess. Don't expect them to know what they are doing. All they know how to do is throw money at the problem.

The correct answer for Obama's team is to get the hell out of the way.

 As a side note, I just found out that Peter Schiff is Irwin Schiff's son. For those who don't know Irwin Schiff, he was a leading tax protester back in the 70s, went to jail for it. Considering Peter's popularity, Irwin is getting his revenge.

Ray Hewitt's picture
Ray Hewitt
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Apr 5 2008
Posts: 458
Re: Trick Question For Obama's Economic Team

Close the imports (except oil) and create or manafacture in America
only, or make imported products extremely high priced for foreign
countries to export into our country, ie extremely high tariffs.

Any attempt to maintain high American wages will only increase unemployment. That was the unlearned lesson of the 30s.

Price controls in any form always create unintended consequences. Taxes in any form always have a negative effect on the private economy.

krogoth's picture
krogoth
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 18 2008
Posts: 576
OK here we go

OK I said nothing about maintaining higher wages for Americans at all. In fact, I think wages should be lowered in general, matched by a much lower cost of living in America (impossible, I know). Higher prices for goods would generally happen for just about anything as long as we have greedy unions and the standard of living we are used to, and unions need to go away, and the standard of wasteful living needs to change dramatically.

You can go many places where the cost of living is much lower, and the standard of living is not better or worse. just different. 

What is needed is a general humbling of America. Other countries don't beat us because the standard of living they have is worse, but to Americans in general it is worse.

Just because you don't have a flat-screen 50" TV in every room because you cannot walk 20 feet to the living room to watch 1 TV, 3 cars in the driveway and a house that is way too big usually for the size of your family. Plus you are buying everything you can to keep up with everyone else does not mean you are living better. In fact, you are living wastefully and you are probably overweight. America in general is typically 10-20% overweight indivually and growing.

This is another fundamental base problem in America. What we really need and what we think we need. I have covered this in many posts on this website, so I am not going to rehash it.

Spend some time in India, Vietnam, Korea, Taiwan and China to see how different cultures live. How they are sometimes worse than you think, or sometimes better in ways. The first 2 things they do better is education and taking care of the elderly, and I could go on and on about socialized medicine and other programs they kick the crap out of America with. Some are horrible with the handicapped, which America is generally better at.

Do you need to deal with things you are not used to? Yes because it's a different way of life. But if you spend some time in these countries and many others, you will learn one important thing. Why can they do it so much more cheaply than America?

It's not because they don't have nice houses, or nice cars, or nice things in general. All of these countries have the super rich as well. It's because the MAJORITY of the people live within acceptable means, support the family unit much more as a whole than Americans do, care greatly for the education of the children, and can live on much lower amounts of money.

Better or worse? Well, that's perception. As long as America keeps paying for cheap imported goods and cannot support itself internally without international imports or support, we will continue to be bent over. It will come at the expense of jobs, education, higher taxes, lowered health-care, and eventually a forced lower standard of living.

America is getting pushed into 2 classes now, the have and have nots, and the have nots will be growing at an alarming pace. But maybe that's the wake-up call America needs?

Just 30-35 years ago, Americans typically had 1 car, 1 TV set and a modest house. Healthcare insurance was completly afforadable. Dental insurance was completly afforadable. Perscription drugs were much cheaper. Doctors used to come to your house if necessary. I could go on and on.

 

 

Ray Hewitt's picture
Ray Hewitt
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Apr 5 2008
Posts: 458
Re: OK here we go again

I said nothing about maintaining higher wages for Americans at all.

That's the usual war cry.

As long as America keeps paying for cheap imported goods and cannot
support itself internally without international imports or support, we
will continue to be bent over.

So now cheap imports are bad for us?

What is needed is a general humbling of America. 

It's getting it, good and  hard. Real hard.

Whatever your reasons, what I said above still stands. Your cure is worse than the disease.

At the root of America's problems is a dysfunctional economic system based on Keynesian Theory. To my knowledge, every country in the world subscribes to the same belief system. It is not until that way of thinking is thoroughly discredited can a viable economic system take it's place. It could take decades.

If I have a cause on this site, it is to get people to stop thinking government is the solution.

krogoth's picture
krogoth
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 18 2008
Posts: 576
Retirement should be fun for you

And Hewittr,

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one

You remind me of a saying my father told me-

Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig

Enjoy your future job at McDonalds, Mr. Boomer

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ray Hewitt's picture
Ray Hewitt
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Apr 5 2008
Posts: 458
Re: Retirement should be fun for you

That was a real non-answer.

People who appeal to government to do something are so arrogant that they believe others should be forced to conform to their beliefs. This world has an over-abundance of petty tyrants.

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Sep 7 2008
Posts: 488
Re: Trick Question For Obama's Economic Team

Come on, guys. I thought we were above that kind of stuff on this site!

Futuo's picture
Futuo
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Apr 15 2008
Posts: 155
Re: Trick Question For Obama's Economic Team

I agree with mainecooncat. A little disappointed...

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 17 2008
Posts: 807
Re: OK here we go

sorry zo i disagree i dont think unions need to go.

i think the finacial institutions need to go. you mentioned not one word about the outrageous bonuses.

unions dont acoount for much of the work force anymore. just show me one other way working people can negotiate  decent wages and benefits without collective bargaining. care to be a worker at wal mart? didnt think so.

unions need revamping no doubt but i think we need more of them. i am tired of seeing the middle class get hammered while the fat cats get fatter. the companies got fat so the workers got fat. the companies got thin so should the unions.

i was a union carpenter and had to pay off my mortgage and support my family. i could not have done it in a non union shop.

this does not even take into consideration the access to politicians corporations have. what access does joe the carpenter have without a union. just tell me how the working guy gets a share of the pie other than unions and i will consider it.

if you are talking just about uaw i say they need to cut way back to be competitive. but it was not their decision to build huge suv's and hummers. remember the japanese carmakers are hurting now too paying $ 30 less an hour.

i am not saying unions are perfect by any stretch they just happen to be an easy target right now but someone show me how we get a decent wage for the average blue collar worker without unions and collective bargaining.

you want to be competitive? raise the wages of the prison labor in china to two bowls of rice a day instead of one.

why do we have to come down why dont they come up? because we want cheaper nikes thats why. because we dont care about child sweatshop labor or environmental destruction as long as it happens somewhere over there.

sorry zo but i was walking picket lines when i was in grade school. unions allowed me and millions of others be middle class.

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 17 2008
Posts: 807
Re: Trick Question For Obama's Economic Team

america last year worked to about july 23 to pay all the taxes. it is tax independence day.

with the way they are spraying paper we will work till about thanksgiveng next year. which will give us time to go out on black friday with money that is ours and trample people to death to get a computer and printer for $299.

as for creating jobs in america it is great campaign rhetoric but we will have to start from scratch. we do not have a steel industry, we will soon not have an auto industry. we dont have a textile industry. we dont make shoes here. about 1.5% of the population is engaged in farming. once peak oil starts to be felt we can employ more people on farms, of course we wil need to raise more horses, china is cornering the market on all the strategic minerals. india and china turn out 600k engineers and scientists a year we turn out 60k.our school system is in tatters. 200 colleges have closed in the last 20 years

just what jobs is anyone talking about creating and how ? oh yeah i forgot a two year project to fix our infrastructure. so that the cars that no one is buying and the trucks not carrying the goods to stores where people are not shopping will get there without the bridges falling down.

hate to pee on obama's parade but fugeddaboutit

Carl Veritas's picture
Carl Veritas
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 23 2008
Posts: 294
Re: Trick Question For Obama's Economic Team

It's a loaded question because neither Democrat nor Republican economic teams will execute the solution even if they knew the answer. Only you can.

Attempting to solve the riddle forces you to----

Take a closer look at how jobs are created, and who creates jobs in the economy.

The Federal government can only "create" jobs by borrowing or taxing the people.

So if they cannot borrow or tax they cannot create jobs. To solve the riddle government will be forced to rely on the Central Bank to create new employment, by "stimulating". Hoover and FDRs New Deal and TARP are stimulants.

The central bank( not part of the federal govt) can artificially lower interest rates by buying banks inventory of government bonds. No money changes hands in this transaction because the Fed creates the "payment". The payment banks receive from the Fed serves as fresh reserves in which they could pyramid new loans to the public. To the extent that business and consumers borrow the new money, new jobs can in fact be created. But.

This practice creates the job creating booms that gets liquidated as soon as the Fed reverses course. Todays housing bust was once a boom created by Greenspan driving rates down to 1 percent . Once the flow of bank credit stops, producers such as homebuilders find themselves overextended and forced to liquidate taking jobs down with them. Risk taking on both sides created todays financial mess but originated from the Feds activities.

The other consequence of the Feds bank credit expansion is persistent inflation.

It now takes $22.10 of todays money what $1.00 bought in 1913.

But despite all of this why does the government---no matter which party----repeat the same economic errors?

The only answer is ----

.Because the establishment is guided by the economic theories of the British economist John Maynard Keynes.

Since the 1930s the government has been calling plays after plays from Keynes playbook. Flexible money supply, debt financing to force economic activity, and above all a central bank. Bankers and congress may have pushed for the Federal Reserve Act of 1913 but it is the mvp in Keynes economic playbook.

The Austrian economists have long exposed the hidden connection between the boom bust cycles, debt and inflation with the presence of a central bank. But like James Grant have said, he learned of Austrian economics everywhere except in school.

So absent the government and its central bank, who is left to create new jobs?

Businessmen. Using their own or borrowed money from peoples savings.

Borrowing from Time Deposits to be specific. Ample supply of savings drives rates down to a sustainable level where demand and production (thus employment) can reach equilibrium without abrupt changes. Demand Deposits just needs to have legal property rights protection to avoid bank runs arising from multiple claims from a single source. It cannot be lent out by banks. Keynes labels the practice of saving money as hoarding and not to be tolerated, because it does not fit in his model.

This would mean sound money chosen by the people and backed by gold. Gold has been chosen by people for millennia to serve as money. Arguments that theres not enough gold to back our money is bs. For starters, open up Fort Knox vault and return Americans gold confiscated by FDR. It's been there since the 1940s.

So again how can the US economy create new jobs without adding to the debt ($10.6 Trillion) or increasing taxes?

By eliminating the Central Bank from the equation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

krogoth's picture
krogoth
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 18 2008
Posts: 576
Re: OK here we go
joe2baba wrote:

sorry zo i disagree i dont think unions need to go.

i think the finacial institutions need to go. you mentioned not one word about the outrageous bonuses.

I don't need to. I have spent half my posts doing nothing buy attacking banks. I didn't think I needed to post that again here. As for Unions, maybe they worked in your day, but they are outdated greed machines now.

joe2baba wrote:

unions need revamping no doubt but i think we need more of them. i am tired of seeing the middle class get hammered while the fat cats get fatter. the companies got fat so the workers got fat. the companies got thin so should the unions.

You think this is because of Unions? What about the Union fat-cats getting rich?

joe2baba wrote:

i am not saying unions are perfect by any stretch they just happen to be an easy target right now but someone show me how we get a decent wage for the average blue collar worker without unions and collective bargaining.

Wow, technology rose all alone, people made good money and until just the last few years, jobs didn't go overseas. It's the governments fault that job's went overseas, not because they didn't have a union. In fact, I know a lot of Blue Collar people who got into computer technology in the early 90's, quit harder labor jobs, and made 4 times the money in technology. All of this happened ALONE without UNIONS and people made GREAT MONEY and made decisions themselves about money, financing, investing etc. Now 20 years later, all those support jobs are in India. Joe, you think a technology union could have saved that? Why was one not started then?

joe2baba wrote:

you want to be competitive? raise the wages of the prison labor in china to two bowls of rice a day instead of one.

why do we have to come down why don't they come up? because we want cheaper nikes thats why. because we dont care about child sweatshop labor or environmental destruction as long as it happens somewhere over there.

sorry zo but i was walking picket lines when i was in grade school. unions allowed me and millions of others be middle class.

So in a nutshell what your telling me is that instead of making jobs, we should preserve unions. Instead of what you consider lowering our lifestyle, we should raise the Chinese to our standard of living as well as other countries competing with us?

Wow, now I am surprised! Not that it matters much, considering we will very soon have many jobs of importance on any level and no middle class at all for the masses, the union argument is irrelevant.

Also, they are raising the standards of living in other countries, slowly. They are follow the fine example of consumption created by Americans, and will eventually be into the toilet in another 40-60 years, just like we are now. 

The game continues 

 

 

 

grl's picture
grl
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Nov 30 2008
Posts: 188
Re: Retirement should be fun for you

Hey guys, I have been reading these posts for weeks now but Krogoth's comments prompted me to register so I could post a comment. I have been very impressed by the intelligent and civil discussion that goes on here (as compared to a lot of website postings I have read). How sad that she or he has degraded the tone on this website. I hope that should she or he do this again, she or he is banned. And btw Krogoth, I was a child in a solidly middle-class America 30 years ago (2 parents, 3 kids)  - we had two cars, one for Mom, one for Dad, three T.V.'s - one for the family, one in the parent's bedroom, one for the kids and a 2K sq ft house. All my friends in my middle-class suburb had approximately the same. (I can't tell you what Medical/Dental Insurance costs 'cause I was a kid). Your facts are wrong and your nostalgia is misplaced. 

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 10 2008
Posts: 3998
Re: Trick Question For Obama's Economic Team
Cluesaw wrote:

 

American taxpayer debt now stands at $10.6 Trillion (Fed government borrows, you pay).

 

Question for the Economic Team-----

How can the US economy create new jobs without adding to the enormous debt or raising taxes?

 

Cancel the debts. 

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 10 2008
Posts: 3998
Re: Retirement should be fun for you
4liberty wrote:

Hey guys, I have been reading these posts for weeks now but Krogoth's comments prompted me to register so I could post a comment. I have been very impressed by the intelligent and civil discussion that goes on here (as compared to a lot of website postings I have read). How sad that she or he has degraded the tone on this website. I hope that should she or he do this again, she or he is banned. And btw Krogoth, I was a child in a solidly middle-class America 30 years ago (2 parents, 3 kids) - we had two cars, one for Mom, one for Dad, three T.V.'s - one for the family, one in the parent's bedroom, one for the kids and a 2K sq ft house. All my friends in my middle-class suburb had approximately the same. (I can't tell you what Medical/Dental Insurance costs 'cause I was a kid). Your facts are wrong and your nostalgia is misplaced.

liberty,

I don't always agree with Krogoth....  but here I do.  Some of us have been putting up with hewittr for weeks, and today, as I catch up with this list, it's fast becoming obvious many members of this intelligent forum are getting exasperated with him.

Krogoth is one poster whose opinions I always look forward to, for better or worse, and should be banned (which I seriously doubt, we know who should be!) then I'd be inclined to forget about this site.... 

Stick around, you might learn a few things here, some of Chris' followers are pretty darn smart people. 

grl's picture
grl
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Nov 30 2008
Posts: 188
Re: Retirement should be fun for you

thank you for the welcome Matrix (I mean that) but my comment was not directed towards Krogoth's analysis or exasperated readers of hewittr but rather towards Krototh's ad hominem attack on heweittr* - it simply is not becoming to this site. (and gives some insight into Krogoth's emotions vs. her/his reason)

 

*And Hewittr,


Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one

You remind me of a saying my father told me-

Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig

Enjoy your future job at McDonalds, Mr. Boomer 

krogoth's picture
krogoth
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 18 2008
Posts: 576
hewittr and joe2baba

Well considering hewittr does nothing but go from topic to topic with outlandish if not impossible solutions, based on little or no data, I would consider and expect more solid contributions from him. Since I am from the South, we used to call people like him a pot stirrer. Just arguing for the sake of argument, and not really adding anything to the conversation. So now I will try to ignore him because he really is not adding anything positive or provable, just a lot of wind.

As for Joe, I understand why you feel the way you do, because I am in the generation behind you and hewittr I think, with an even more bleak outlook and future to face. While you were in the free love generation, my generation grew up with Aids, and while you had your nice Union job or security, my generation grew up knowing we could not depend or retire on one company alone, and we would more than likely work for 5-10 companies in our lifetime.

Then you support and feed dollars to the very beast you hate by the way you shop every day.

At least my generation is primarily interested in education still, and still questioned authority all the way up to the government level. My generation is the antiestablihmnent generation. The generation behind me, or my generations support system, is 10 times worse. They are XBOX robots, tied to a strobe light of force fed misinformation, nutured by terror and as a majority, lazy with no direction.

That's why I hope hewittr enjoys his job at MacDonald's.

What you boomers don't realize, or maybe you do and just don't want to admit it, is that your support system is fading fast, and my generations support system does not even exist.

You will not spend your retirement days enjoying life on the golf course, shuffleboard court or playing tennis. You will spend them working until you drop dead. All the boomers will, except the extremely wealthy ones.

Your retirements will dry up, social security will go away, and then you will RETURN to the workforce for your remaining days. That is, if you can even find a job. You will be competing with PhDs for your MacDonald's job, so it may be a bit tough.

You see, regardless of how much data is being posted on here, how much information we consume or digest, or much we disagree with the information or the delivery method, at the end of the day we are all screwed. From the boomers to the generations supporting them, all screwed.

America will become nothing more than a hollowed out, used up shell of a dirty amusement park for the rich and wealthy to enjoy in America and abroad. This will be stocked full of people without unions or support, working for practically nothing, with lines of replacements behind them to replace them at any minute if they drop dead, with it's only purpose to amuse the world like a bunch of clowns.

Shadows of what we could and should have been.

You all just keep buying your cheap crap from WalMart and Target because every dollar spent is another nail in the coffin of America's future.

Unions, they will die. They will be forced to. The sheer audacity of these organizations like the UAW make my blood boil. I will be laughing when Ford and GM close for good, as they deserve to. Victims of excessive greed and gluttony.

I am SO glad to have hedged my bets about my future years ago, living and working in multiple countries, because anyone who puts all the eggs in America's basket will end up with no eggs soon.

 

Happy Shopping! Your Chinese masters will be arriving soon! You work for them already and don't even realize it, like a blind consuming monkey, everytime you pull out your wallet or go into your purse to go shopping.

 

 

krogoth's picture
krogoth
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 18 2008
Posts: 576
Re: Trick Question For Obama's Economic Team

I said generally that America needs to create jobs, I didn't say it could be done, because it probably is impossible at this stage of the game.

krogoth's picture
krogoth
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 18 2008
Posts: 576
Re: Retirement should be fun for you

OK, now Chris needs to add an ignore feature to the website.

krogoth's picture
krogoth
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 18 2008
Posts: 576
A bench warmer signs up

Well I for one am glad you signed up finally. And if it takes my shotgun delivery for Chris to get more members, or get more people like you out of the shadows, waking up, or adding something productive to a conversation instead of bench-warming and not playing in the game, so be it.

I am really sorry I don't coat my postings in sugar for you, or put some bubbles in the bath for you to enjoy, or give you a teet to suck on. Reality and truth usually are hard to swallow for most sheep.

And since it's not YOUR website, I don't think you decide what is becoming or not. Put your bible down, turn off FOX, and start reading the truth and/or different opinions for a change.

Believe me, if Chris or Erik ask me to leave, cancel my membership or censor my postings, which for the most part are civil and have added a great deal to this website, and more than likely you just have not read them bench warming so much, then I will go.

 

Peace,

 

 

 

 

caroline_culbert's picture
caroline_culbert
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 2 2008
Posts: 624
Re: Trick Question For Obama's Economic Team

We seem to be playing this cat and mouse game as far as wages are concerned.

1.  We have fluxuations in currencies that create profit for those who buy and sell currency, but the problems lie where currency is tied to wages.

2.  currency is tied to wages

3.  corporations and/or companies have incentives to lower wages to maximize profits

3.  If we don't outsource, then the whole friggin' corp ends up moving out of the country

4.  If we allow outsourcing, we shoot ourselves in the foot

5.  If we do outsource and we don't outsource we still lose because they pluck the border jumpers for the jobs and pay pennies on the dollar as wages anyway.

6.  I found out that my brother-in-law's employer (pharmeceutical equip.) has whole warehouses of cheap labor, in the U.S., mass producing medical bags.... the only wierd thing was that they're all Japanese.  Why!!!??? I asked... my sister said-- cheap labor.  So in essense, it doesn't matter where you set up shop, or what the currency exchange rate is when there will always be people who will work for less.

7.  The demand for jobs is high and the supply of jobs is low.  The only way you'd ever get fair wages is if everyone in the whole world agreed not to be scabs.

8.  It's the right thing to do, but how do you get there?  Is it even possible.

I don't believe in creating jobs just to create jobs.  You might as well just hand the workers a check.  They should look at creating jobs that will simultaneously generate sufficient profit in the long run and is in high demand (such as better education) so the gov't can use that profit to pay off debt.

It's going to be hard to find something to invest in, now, that will generate a profit, later, esp. since the profit will have to keep up with the compounding rate of interest upon that debt.

krogoth's picture
krogoth
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 18 2008
Posts: 576
Re: Trick Question For Obama's Economic Team

That's exactly my point as well, is anything possible at all anymore?

caroline_culbert's picture
caroline_culbert
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 2 2008
Posts: 624
Re: Retirement should be fun for you
krogoth wrote:

OK, now Chris needs to add an ignore feature to the website.

LMAO!!!  Too Funny!

krogoth's picture
krogoth
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 18 2008
Posts: 576
Re: Retirement should be fun for you

Thanks Matrix,

 We don't always agree, but when I agree with you, I give you props. You usually do your homework.

 

Peace

 

 

 

 

 

caroline_culbert's picture
caroline_culbert
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 2 2008
Posts: 624
Re: OK here we go
krogoth wrote:

OK I said nothing about maintaining higher wages for Americans at all. In fact, I think wages should be lowered in general, matched by a much lower cost of living in America (impossible, I know). Higher prices for goods would generally happen for just about anything as long as we have greedy unions and the standard of living we are used to, and unions need to go away, and the standard of wasteful living needs to change dramatically.

You can go many places where the cost of living is much lower, and the standard of living is not better or worse. just different. 

What is needed is a general humbling of America. Other countries don't beat us because the standard of living they have is worse, but to Americans in general it is worse.

Just because you don't have a flat-screen 50" TV in every room because you cannot walk 20 feet to the living room to watch 1 TV, 3 cars in the driveway and a house that is way too big usually for the size of your family. Plus you are buying everything you can to keep up with everyone else does not mean you are living better. In fact, you are living wastefully and you are probably overweight. America in general is typically 10-20% overweight indivually and growing.

This is another fundamental base problem in America. What we really need and what we think we need. I have covered this in many posts on this website, so I am not going to rehash it.

Spend some time in India, Vietnam, Korea, Taiwan and China to see how different cultures live. How they are sometimes worse than you think, or sometimes better in ways. The first 2 things they do better is education and taking care of the elderly, and I could go on and on about socialized medicine and other programs they kick the crap out of America with. Some are horrible with the handicapped, which America is generally better at.

Do you need to deal with things you are not used to? Yes because it's a different way of life. But if you spend some time in these countries and many others, you will learn one important thing. Why can they do it so much more cheaply than America?

It's not because they don't have nice houses, or nice cars, or nice things in general. All of these countries have the super rich as well. It's because the MAJORITY of the people live within acceptable means, support the family unit much more as a whole than Americans do, care greatly for the education of the children, and can live on much lower amounts of money.

Better or worse? Well, that's perception. As long as America keeps paying for cheap imported goods and cannot support itself internally without international imports or support, we will continue to be bent over. It will come at the expense of jobs, education, higher taxes, lowered health-care, and eventually a forced lower standard of living.

America is getting pushed into 2 classes now, the have and have nots, and the have nots will be growing at an alarming pace. But maybe that's the wake-up call America needs?

Just 30-35 years ago, Americans typically had 1 car, 1 TV set and a modest house. Healthcare insurance was completly afforadable. Dental insurance was completly afforadable. Perscription drugs were much cheaper. Doctors used to come to your house if necessary. I could go on and on.

 

 

 

 

Well done!

caroline_culbert's picture
caroline_culbert
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 2 2008
Posts: 624
Re: OK here we go again
hewittr wrote:

I said nothing about maintaining higher wages for Americans at all.

That's the usual war cry.

As long as America keeps paying for cheap imported goods and cannot support itself internally without international imports or support, we will continue to be bent over.

So now cheap imports are bad for us?

What is needed is a general humbling of America. 

It's getting it, good and  hard. Real hard.

Whatever your reasons, what I said above still stands. Your cure is worse than the disease.

At the root of America's problems is a dysfunctional economic system based on Keynesian Theory. To my knowledge, every country in the world subscribes to the same belief system. It is not until that way of thinking is thoroughly discredited can a viable economic system take it's place. It could take decades.

If I have a cause on this site, it is to get people to stop thinking government is the solution.

Gov't should always be part of the solution.  Most of us work 3-4 months of the year for it; I'm sure as hell going to get my money's worth!  If you pay into a system, hopefully you work to benefit from it.  What am I doing on this site if not to better my future somehow?  Attempting to "fix" the government starts with fixing ourselves.  The closest thing resembling a government is something like a family.  Once you get your house in order, read up, and get busy educating your neighbors.  It's hard, but sometimes it requires work.  What we're doing right now, hopefully, is starting to wake some people up.  Slowly but surely.  In the end, we may want a minimal gov't but that doesn't mean our gov't should never be part of the solution.  It should be the impetus for the solution!  That's what we pay them for!

Ray Hewitt's picture
Ray Hewitt
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Apr 5 2008
Posts: 458
Re: Trick Question For Obama's Economic Team

Krogoth

Well considering hewittr does nothing but go from topic to topic with
outlandish if not impossible solutions, based on little or no data, I
would consider and expect more solid contributions from him. Since I am
from the South, we used to call people like him a pot stirrer. Just
arguing for the sake of argument, and not really adding anything to the
conversation. So now I will try to ignore him because he really is not
adding anything positive or provable, just a lot of wind.

First of all Krogoth, I'm 66, probably older than you, and I suspect better educated. When I was young, I thought I could solve the problems of the world. As I got older, I began to realize my limitations. There is no god; there is no controlling authority that can make this all go away. There are six billion people on this planet trying to make the best out of their lives. There is no solution that can be implemented by government authority; there are only more problems if one takes that route. So you and your kind can pretend you have solutions for the world. And I'll continue to see people with your mindset as the problems for the world.

At least my generation is primarily interested in education still, and
still questioned authority all the way up to the government level. My
generation is the antiestablihmnent generation. The generation behind
me, or my generations support system, is 10 times worse.

I wouldn't believe it by the way you rant.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments