Tribute to Devo

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
bluestone's picture
bluestone
Tribute to Devo

Just a diversion for those interested (and sorry if i screwed up posting the music videos)

I’m making this post in tribute to the music group Devo, who for 30 years have tried to admonish Americans about the ongoing degredation of our society.  Devo, a “new wave” group from Akron, Ohio, believed that American society and the modern world were devolving.  While most were reveling in modern technology and consumerism, the members of Devo thought otherwise.  They believed that society had already reached its apex, and was on a downhill slide.   This interview provides some insights into the group on qtv:                                      

The name Devo, is derived from the term De-evolution.  De-evolution is not an accurate scientific theory.  Species do not regress, they merely adapt, change, and evolve to the environmental conditions they encounter.  The musical group Devo did not suggest that man was evolving back into a more primitive ape species.  Rather, their music implies that homo sapiens has never been able to escape its primate past.  In spite of its advanced intellect and cognitive abilities, home sapiens is still primarily driven by its primal instincts (fear, hunger, aggression, violence, sexual drive).

Interestingly, several of the group members were students at Kent State University during the early 1970s.  One of the band members, Gerry Casale, was present during the Kent State massacre.  He was friends with and witnessed the shooting deaths of two of the students.  This event no doubt had a profound impact on the focus and message of Devo.

The messages (albeit many times silly)  in their music are so appropriate to the times we’re living in and this is present in much of their imagery.  They called themselves the “spuds boys”.  The spud was representative of humility and was a staple.  They called the upside down red flower pots they wore on their heads their “energy domes.”  The energy domes promoted energy conservation by  “capturing the energy escaping their heads, and redirecting it through their bodies”.  Devo recognized the “corporate feudal state” we were succumbing to.  They warned that we were being distracted by consumerism and techno-fantasy.  Americans were confusing consumerism with freedom whereas in reality our freedoms were being taken away.  One of their concert characters, Booji boy, a man child, was a representation of infantile regression of Western civilization.   Their most famous song, “Whip it” was not truly a song about sado-masochism or masturbation.  That was the irony.  This was really a song crying “Hey Americans, get your act together and think for yourselves”. 

Here's my personal theme song for these times.  "worried man"

and a couple morem  "Beautiful World"

bluestone's picture
bluestone
Re: Tribute to Devo

Sorry couldn't post the videos.  here are the links

"worried man"  my personal theme song for these troubled times

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/music/watch/v20057427FqCZtPQb

"Beautiful world" (or the world is not so beautiful)

"through being cool" (not feeling to cool being the only guy around trying to make a change)

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Re: Tribute to Devo

Hey Blue --

Devo were big rock-star heroes of mine waaay back when.  "Mongoloid" was a particular fave of mine -- and speaks to the issues you discuss.  Thanks for bringing back some good memories!

Viva -- Sager

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments