Transition Towns March Newsletter

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
cmartenson's picture
cmartenson
Transition Towns March Newsletter

Here's the March 2009 Transition Towns newsletter...posted at the request of Mike (DTM).

Best,
Chris

greendoc's picture
greendoc
Re: Transition Towns March Newsletter

Hmmm, there is nothing here....am I correct?

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

How does one read it from here?

Mike 

ckessel's picture
ckessel

Chris,

I don't find the newsletter or a link in your post. What am I missing?

Coop

admin's picture
admin

I fixed it.  Should be available now.

Ron

Brandon's picture
Brandon

Thanks for the article, Mike, and for posting it, Chris.  I found the part about permaculture very helpful.  I continue to try to find time to research, and articles like this that directly lay out what to do are very helpful.  Even though each environment is different, and each person has to find what works for them, examples like this are great starting points for reference...for me pictures are worth a thousand words.

Mike, would you be able to take photos which are from ground level, that help fill in the details of your wonderful aerial view photo.  Perhaps photos from the house, looking back into zone 1, the wind break, zone 2, etc.  Of course, I don't know what photos would be most helpful, since I'm not knowledgable on this stuff, but these perspectives are a guess.  If so, it would be appreciated, as I continue to search and gather info.

Thanks for sharing.

-Brandon

greendoc's picture
greendoc

what a wonderful newsletter mike!  The nature of wealth article especially great.  I wish I acould attend one of those worker bee permablitz parties...sounds like you guys know how to have fun while doing good work! 

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

Thanks to Chris who emailed me direct and offered to upload my file for me, and then Ron for fixing the technical problems!  There are other Permaculture threads that can be read on this site already.  Use the wonderful search engine situated at the top of every page you open from this site to find archived stuff.  When I find some time, I might upload some pics and stories about our patch of dirt..

The main reason I wanted to share this newsletter was to demonstrate what can be achieved in a fairly short time to bring local communities on board.  Six months ago, this little town had no community 'assets' to speak of, except for our tiny market (which nearly went down the gurggler because of past mismanagement).

It was my wife who, having read the doom'n'gloom on this site and knowing about Transition Towns through our Permaculture connections, decided we should instigate one ourselves.  I also happen to edit the Permaculture Newsletter (which covers a very large area), so I simply placed an add in it to inform people from our town that we were looking for a core group to meet in the park to kick off.  23 people turned up!

As you can see, I make no bones about the severity and depth of the looming problems in the Coorier, but we also offer lots of solutions to balance things out.  I'm one who believes people need to be shocked out of their torpor..... it's one of the aims of the newsletter.  This month they will get both barrels.  There is another local paper around here that covers a much wider audience in which I have written a lengthy article on what went wrong with the economy and why I don't believe it will ever recover now we have hit Limits to Growth....  and there is a link to CM.com and the CC.

I guess in many ways, this thread should be in the "less talk more action" one...  because starting a TT is the MOST useful way of preparing.  You can't do it on your own.  This weekend, we're hoping to fill the Hall with a movie show, 100 ~ 150 people would be great... then we can harvest the many talents that must be out there to make the whole community resilient, and not just us.  We've put a lot of work into this, you may even have noticed I haven't posted as much as usual lately!

Mike 

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Just read the newsletter, DTM, and I must say I dug it.  The wife & myself have been working away at similarly-themed projects vis-a-vis community building for a couple years now and a TT initiative is a natural extension of what we've accomplished so far.  Thanks for the inspiration!

Goodonya, Sager 

ckessel's picture
ckessel

Nice job Mike et al.  There is a lot of work that goes into keeping a newsletter running and yours is a good example of a communities focus. Thanks for publishing it here for us.

Coop

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
Damnthematrix wrote:

<snip>

... you may even have noticed I haven't posted as much as usual lately!

Mike 

Yeah - I wondered where you'd wondered off to! Undecided

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer
Re: Transition Towns July Newsletter

from the Transition News email:

Transition Resources

Crash Course on the Economy

crash course videoFor those of you who have been wrestling the facts from the opinions about just what is going on with the economy, we encourage you to watch Chris Martenson’s Crash Course (available on-line or on DVD) at www.PeakProsperity.com or take his 2-day seminar.  Chris’ analysis cuts through the spin and leaves one with an even stronger conviction to build thriving Transition Initiatives in our communities.  

Here are two suggestions:

1. If you haven’t read the Economics Addendum to The Transition Handbook, read it here.
  2. Consider asking those who have a solid understanding of the Crash Course material to present a DVD viewing and discussion for your local Initiative.  Everyone will benefit and you will see further community involvement and development.

Nice to see we are all on the same team!!

EGP

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments