Alastair Lough's picture
Alastair Lough
Transition Towns to Address Peak Oil, Climate Change and Economic Crisis

Chris
has not mentioned that Transition Towns has arrived in America,
and can be one
part of any community's solution.

http://www.transitiontowns.org
http://www.meetup.com/Transition-Trainin...

Cheers,
and keep up the great work!

Alastair
Lough

switters's picture
switters
Re: Transition Towns to Address Peak Oil, Climate Change ...

On the contrary, there has been a lot of discussion about the Transition initiative on this site.  Many members/participants on this site are already involved in Transition movements or are planning to attend a training soon.  Enter "transition" in the search box on the upper right and pick through the results.

cwixom's picture
cwixom

First, before you read what I have listed below, know this:  I am all about being responsible stewards of our earth.  I keep my house at 62 degrees in the winter to reduce my fuel usage.  I have been upgrading my insulation to lower use further.  I have transitioned to CFLs for lighting.  All this in the face of strong resistance from my wife and children.  My primary vehicles have all gotten over 32 MPG since 1975 and my current one gets 44 MPG on a bad day.  I have only owned 5 vehicles in the past 36 years and 2 of them are in my garage right now.  I seek to reduce my impact on the globe continually but not because I fear climate change or global warming.  It is because there are limited resources and I have driven through cities in the 70's when the pollution burned your eyes. So before you accuse me of not caring or understanding tell me how you are "walking the walk".

So, on the subject of climate change here are a few quotes from some credible scientists that should be considered.  There are hundreds more that I have come across in my research, so I am not inclined to join the climate change parade.  As someone with an education in the sciences, I believe we know too little about the full scope of this issue to be making oppressive policies for the mitigation of something without strong credibility.  If you want to talk resource conservation and pollution reduction, go for it, but leave reasonably suspect politicized science out of it.

Quote:

“I am appalled
at the state of discord in the field of climate science…There is no
observational evidence that the addition of anthropogenic greenhouse
gas emissions have caused any temperature perturbations in the
atmosphere.”
-
Award-winning atmospheric scientist Dr.
George T. Wolff, former member of the EPA’s Science Advisory Board,
served on a committee of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration (NOAA) and authored more than 90 peer-reviewed studies.

“The sky is not
burning, and to claim that it is amounts to journalistic
malpractice…the press only promotes the global warming alarmists and
ignores or minimizes those of us who are skeptical.”
-

Chemist Dr. Mark L. Campbell, a professor of chemistry at the U.S.
Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD, who has published numerous studies in
the Journal of the American Chemical Society on topics such as methane. 

“Once again we
have misleading climate change pronouncements being based on data
errors, data errors detected by non-UN, non-IPCC, non-peer-reviewed
external observers
This is exactly what happens when you base your arguments on ‘consensus science’ and not scientific fact.” -

Professor Dr. Doug L. Hoffman, a mathematician, computer programmer,
and engineer, who worked on environmental models and conducted research
in molecular dynamics simulations. Hoffman co-authored the 2009 book, The Resilient Earth, described as
“bringing a dose of skeptical reality to climate science and the global warming debate.”

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer

For those who have not yet seen it - The Highly recommended - Rob Hopkins video is on youtube (search Transition Towns).

We added our Austin MN location to the Transition Town Map and encourage permaculture but find it is a hard concept for people who do not grow their own food to think that one day they may have to learn. So, facing that obsticle, I wrote up a website on all the short-cuts I now take in gardening and food preservation. . . among other things. 

I'm still learning and really enjoy feed back on the site and what more I can add.

Peace.

EndGamePlayed

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments