The Transition movement comes to the US

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
switters's picture
switters
The Transition movement comes to the US

Check out this interview of Jennifer Gray, co-founder of Transition US.  I am hosting a Transition training in Oakland at the end of May for those who might be interested in starting a Transition initiative in their local area.  Visit this thread for more information about the training.

JohnV's picture
JohnV
Re: The Transition movement comes to the US

Thanks Chris,

In my view "tribe-ing up" will be more important to our individual survival and security than guns, gold, stockpiles, and any other attempt at creating an individual fortress for the future. 

switters's picture
switters

I couldn't agree more, John.  I like that the Transition movement is focused on initiating change on the neighborhood/community scale.  I believe that is where the most work needs to be done, and the most potential lies.

Another aspect of the Transition movement that is very important, and often overlooked in other environmental/ecosocial movements is the necessity of creating a positive vision of the future that motivates people to engage.  I'm not talking about wishful thinking or pie-in-the-sky fantasy.  I'm talking about really looking at the opportunities, as well as the challenges, that peak oil, resource depletion and climate change present.  

People need to understand the gravity of our situation.  But they also need to have a vision for how their lives could actually get better as a result of the changes we need to make collectively.

JohnV's picture
JohnV

I agree.  We need to remember that people lived abundant, full lives in many cultures prior to the industrial age.

switters's picture
switters

I thought you might be interested to read some of the national press coverage that Transition has been getting here in the States (if you haven't seen it already).

Transition has also launched the new website at www.transitionus.org featuring news, training events, resources, toolkits and more. Check it out! 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments