Time to short the weak banks and consumer discretionary names

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD
Time to short the weak banks and consumer discretionary names

In my opinion this rally is done, at least for the weak names. Companies light US Bank, Comerica bank and US Bank could fall at least 30%, maybe even more. Also, some consumer discretionary names such as Macy's, Saks, Borders, and others. Good luck and happy shorting.

JAG's picture
JAG
Re: Time to short the weak banks and consumer discretionary ...

BMT,

While the indicators forecast a pullback is in the cards, I think its too early to tell if the rally is done, so I'm just sitting in cash at the moment and not trying to short the markets. There have been some reliable indications that this rally could be a new bull market, and that it is likely to resume after a correction. Good luck with your shorts, be nimble in your positions, as the latest Rydex asset flow measures show that many, maybe too many, traders are jumping on the shorting bandwagon.

Just my two cents.Thanks

paranoid's picture
paranoid

I got some SRS and FAZ - inverse ETF's ....so far they are up significantly!

jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10

I can't see how this rally is anything more than a "sucker's" rally. Things just aren't right for a bull market. Unemployment through the roof.....deflationary economy........bankruptcy everywhere. Who is buying stock, the FED?

JAG's picture
JAG

Jerry,

I would agree wholeheartedly with your statement, but the market may not agree with me, so I try very hard to put my personal beliefs aside when trading, and see the market for what it is, not what I think it should be. The "tuition" of this market education can be very expensive.

rickets's picture
rickets

Re the SRS and FAZ....

A warning about leveraged ETF's.....over the long term they will experience whats been called Beta Decay.  In short, take a look at DIG vs DUG, or FAZ vs FAS......SDS vs SSO.  Notice that over a year, whether leveraged long or short they all have experienced long term massive declines?  This is due to the way they rebalance your position every day.  You may want to consider trading these only for super short term trades or as a hedge, as over the long haul I cant find one thats made postiive returns.

JAG's picture
JAG
paranoid wrote:

I got some SRS and FAZ - inverse ETF's ....so far they are up significantly!

SRS down more than 8% in 3 days

FAZ down more than 11% in 3 days.

"Your honor, the people rest."

Jstic's picture
Jstic

FAZ is a stock that should be held for a day or two at the most, and that is pushing it.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments