Time to go?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
anarkst's picture
anarkst
Time to go?

Although it is not my intention, I seem to be ruffling a lot of feathers here.  I enjoy challenging (as well as being challenged).  Sometimes people take this the wrong way, and I understand.  Different groups have different energy :). 

So, if you guys think I should move on, please feel free to tell me.  The last thing I want to do is be disruptive.

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv
Re: Time to Stay

hello anarkst,

I hope you stay, it's always good to have different outlooks in a group.  One thing you might be challenged on, from time to time, is abstract ideas.  Many people will try to get to your point even when you are not making one but rather exploring.  It's the way many of us think.

I don't think you are at all disruptive, I enjoy your posts even if I don't always get it.  Sorry if I bothered you by photo-shopping your other thread. 

Larry

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir
Re: Time to go?
anarkst wrote:

Although it is not my intention, I seem to be ruffling a lot of feathers here.  I enjoy challenging (as well as being challenged).  Sometimes people take this the wrong way, and I understand.  Different groups have different energy :). 

So, if you guys think I should move on, please feel free to tell me.  The last thing I want to do is be disruptive.

Bringing me out of retirement to say... No I don't think that you should move on, while we've had some heated and not so heated exchanges, your perspective is relatively unique. When light falls on a landscape in one direction only then you don't see that it's a three dimensional space, it needs many lights from many directions to understand that landscape. You also made me realize that many times we argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, while ignoring the big elephant in the cormer.

Stick around, you might bring me out of retirement entirely,

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown

Time to go?  You just got here.  Impermanence is swift be damned!  We need someone to throw a monkey wrench into our linear thinking every now and then.

anarkst's picture
anarkst

Thank you very much for your kindness. 

JAG's picture
JAG

Anarchist,
Congratulations, you have established your identity and we all respect your capacity for thought, so you have graduated from stage one. Now it's time to put the e-posturing aside and move on to stage two, friendship. Welcome home.

tx_floods's picture
tx_floods

In reading your posts, I wondered if we were connected in some weird, mental way. I for one, like the way you think.

anarkst's picture
anarkst

You guys are too nice.  I am sure some of you are wondering how somebody gets as different as I seem to be.  I think you guys might appreciate this story. 

I had the good fortune to join a very successful practice just out of school.  These were back in the days when you could actually make decent money being honest (imagine that!).  Being into design and architecture, I decided to build my dream house at 27.  To make a very, very long story much shorter, I got taken advantage (I was incredible naive) and ended up taken a massive loss on this house.  It was an wonderful education (banking, law, finance, etc.).  Five years, lawsuits and over $250K lost (this is in the early 80's when a dollar was still worth over 15 cents!), I was, to say least, dis-illusioned with "the system."  I had just been raked through the coals, big time. 

The next year, I lost a son.  This threw me into a serious philosophical crisis.  For the next five years, I must have read two hundred very intense books on all kinds of philosophy, ethics, law, morality, and economics, trying to figure out what the f*** just happened to me.

When you approach thinking like I did, there comes a time when you reach a limit, and I did.  I became a very hard core anarchist, philosophically, and was literally on the edge.  I had the reached the stage where you either lose it is you transcend.  As it turns out, I met a guy on-line (in a car group) who was a Zen student.  After chatting a bit (and we still do twenty years later), he thought I might be ready for Zen.  And boy, was I ever.  Being a non-intellectual pursuit, I was relieved of having to figure everything out, a burden which I could no longer bear.  Well, to make another long story shorter, I became a very dedicated Zen student, formalizing my practice in residence at a both very serious Zen Center and a Buddhist monastery.  The experiences were life altering.  It's really hard to explain.

So, I have explored both the intellectual and the non-intellectual sides rather deeply.  I know this makes me pretty different, and I know I should not say much of what I do, but, as I mentioned previously, I go back and forth between my intellectual side and my Zen side.  I apologise to anybody who I do not treat with the greatest levels of compassion and respect, as this is my true path.  

I again thank you all for allowing me to be part of your wonderful community.  With great love and respect...

Anarkst       

idoctor's picture
idoctor

Anarkst after reading all this I sure hope you stay. It is great to see other intelligence here especially with different ideas or views. It seems to me that as long as we are constructive & thought provoking it is all good.

You have to be a very strong person to deal with what you have experienced. I really don't even know what Zen is but it looks like I need some because I put myself through circles trying to figure everything out.

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

No.  I enjoy your point of view.  I think your abstract posts can rub some the wrong way.  But we all rub each other in a bad way sometimes.  Other than myself of course

rocketgirl1's picture
rocketgirl1

This is the first time I've read any of your posts and I loved it.  I sure hope you stay and continue to add a little Cranial Zen now and then. 

Truth is truth regardless of how you feel about it.

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

Anarkst - I certsainly hope you stick around. With Gungnir and I heading off into the wilds of Alaska, the CM forums will need more Conceptual thinkers to take our place

Don't worry so much about ruffling feathers... 75% of the world is a Sensor (prefering the concrete). So, if you're an Intuitive (prefering the abstract) you're likely to piss off 3 out of every 4 people you talk to!  I've found that taking a second or two to explain that you're just brain dumping, or exploring a certain philosophical tangent, goes a long way to smoothing relations. That way, you're inviting any Sensor with applicable experience to share their concrete data while you're exploring your abstract concept... it makes them feel included and they can see where you're going (even if they don't enjoy the ride as much as you do). Even though we don't prefer to "get bogged down" in the details, it truly improves our conceptual processes to have a Sensor (who love the details) filling in our framework with data. Even though it's difficult for Sensors and Intuitives to communicate sometimes, we really do need each other to form and execute a workable plan. 

(I won't get into the additional communication issues with Introvert vs. Extravert, Thinking vs. Feeling, and Perceiving vs. Judging... I'm sure everyone can look up MBTI on their own if they're interested. Highly recommend "Please Understand Me" by David Keirsey).

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments