Time to go (for real)

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
anarkst's picture
anarkst
Time to go (for real)

Jason has asked me to desist from bringing Zen in my conversations because of the rule to disallowing religious discussion.  I told him that Zen, technically, has nothing to do with religion.  Obviously, though, it is very much a part of who I am.

I would like to wish you all the best of luck and remember that you have, by far, taken the biggest step, recognition. The beauty of the human spirit is that you already posses all of the solutions.   

Take care.   

becky's picture
becky
Re: Time to go (for real)

anarkst,

If you decide to take one last peek at this site, please know that I enjoyed your posts.  They were thought-provoking and often quite beautiful.  I wish you well on your continued journey.

becky

rowmat's picture
rowmat
anarkst wrote:

Jason has asked me to desist from bringing Zen in my conversations because of the rule to disallowing religious discussion.  I told him that Zen, technically, has nothing to do with religion.  Obviously, though, it is very much a part of who I am.

I would like to wish you all the best of luck and remember that you have, by far, taken the biggest step, recognition. The beauty of the human spirit is that you already posses all of the solutions.   

Take care.   

Just be sure to maintain that motorcycle in an artful manner!

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer
Zen is a religion?

Really? I've been a student for life and I had no idea it was a religion.  I thought it was a method of artful disciplined thinking . . .with a twist of surprise . .  . . (scratching head) EGP

JAG's picture
JAG
Re: Zen is a religion?

Zen is the antithesis of religion, but I would also say, what the Anarchist has been promoting is also the antithesis of Zen. "Intellectual Zen" is a misnomer, and is very harmful. 

All the best.

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

Here we go again....ugh.

switters's picture
switters

I have differed with anarkst on his/her interpretation of Zen, and in one particular thread I felt that his/her comments were not relevant to the subject at hand. I did, however, enjoy the discussion that was provoked by those comments.

Leaving organized religion aside, I do feel strongly that some "spiritual" practices can provide a solid foundation of resilience and support in life, and that we will need such a foundation more than ever in the times to come.

Spirituality is simply a way of talking about how we make meaning in our lives. If we can't talk about how we make meaning in the face of the greatest crisis humanity has ever faced, we're missing out on one of the most important conversations we can have.

There are many principles or "guidelines for behavior", if you will, that have their roots in religions but have been incorporated into modern wisdom traditions and contemporary approaches to everything from addiction to dealing with grief. Acceptance is one such principle. It can be found in many different religions and spiritual philosophies, but here on this site it is the sixth and final stage of awareness in Chris's Six Stages of Awareness that people go through when they learn about the Three Es.

Non-attachment is another such principle. It has its roots in religion, but is similarly embraced by western psychology as a means to live a balanced and happy life in a world of constant change. Why?

No matter how much we prepare for the crisis of the Three Es, we will never have ultimate control. There will always be variables we can't predict or respond to in advance. When we remain attached to a particular outcome or to the fulfillment of a particular desire, we mortgage our happiness to the changing circumstances of life. Our happiness and peace become dependent upon external factors over which we do not have complete control. We become victims of fate rather than active participants in creating the life we wish to live from the inside out.

Attachment to a particular outcome also blinds us to alternative possibilities as they present themselves. We become like horses with blinkers on, only seeing what is directly in front of us on the path we've set out for ourselves. This is the worst thing we can do in a world of turbulent change because it makes us less resilient. Resilience, which is the capacity of organisms or ecosystems to successfully adapt to changing circumstances, is perhaps the single most important quality we can cultivate as we prepare for the coming transition.

This is just one example of how important spiritual practices and philosophies can be in our efforts to adapt and respond to crisis. There are numerous others, and they can be found in many different traditions. I happen to believe that these "intangible" resources are ultimately more important than any of the tangible skills and resource we talk about on this site.

tom.'s picture
tom.
Quote:

I told him that Zen, technically, has nothing to do with religion.  

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
anarkst,

... my illusive yet embraceable cohort. The world, it seems, wears many different masks to avail upon itself a depth of meaning, yet, surprisingly, a superficial nature; a value so thin as to be invisible; hidden in plain sight - all too true, a dream woven into and upon itself; awoken only when within the realm of dia need or supposed in the thread upon some reflection deemed through hindsight and re-invention - these being those characteristics that stem a divine note to peak both curiosity, and, with hope, knowledge - whether in the divine, or simply turning over a leaf in summer to find the fraise of veins hidden within, against your thumb pressure - these being what we stem as glorious epiphany, late at night and far into the future, as we reflect back on such wonder ...

A man sat at a metro station in Washington, DC and started to play the violin; it was a cold January morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that thousands of people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

Three minutes went by and a middle aged man noticed there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried up to meet his schedule.

A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip: a woman threw the money in the hat and, without stopping, continued to walk.

A few minutes later, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again. Clearly he was late for work.

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried, but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, 1097 travellers walked right by the musician and only 7 people stopped and stayed to watch and listen. 27 gave him money but continued to walk their normal pace. He collected $32.17. When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed it. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

Only one knew that the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the finest musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written on a violin worth 3.5 million dollars.

Three days before his playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at theater in Boston and the seats averaged $100.00 each.

This is a real story. Joshua Bell, playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and priorities of people. The outlines were: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour: Do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize the talent in an unexpected context?

One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be: If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing some of the most beautiful music ever written, how many other things are we missing?

... I wonder, does the Stradivarious violin feel the same rapture as the violinist when he coax's a single perfect note from his beating heart ...

Of all the thousand people that walked by Joshua Bell, so few noticed the joy echoing from the walls of that Washington metro centre.

... In reality, most people want to be the same; they simply ignore this fundamental aspect of the human condition. They're so eager to be a part of the group that they'll betray their own nature to get there. If something pleasurable and strongly desired is prohibited, it becomes an obsession ...

... there are no endings my friend, only new beginings ...

"Mitakuye Oyasin, Akita mani yo"

Paul

Broadspectrum's picture
Broadspectrum

Well Vanityfox451,

I have had the Hirsh report since it first was published.  Funny that it was government funded only to be buried after it came out by the same government.  I guess "they" didn't like the results.  It certainly was never discussed in MSM.  Not in MSM's interest.

I don't think anarkst is with us anymore to reply.  I wish he was because he would have had something very interesting to say about the Joshua Bell story.  I also wanted to ask him if he considered himself a Quantum Activist. 

From your writings, I would say you probably are as well as C1oudfire, ao, JAG and certainly Gungnir...to name a few that come to mind.  What is a Quantum Activist, you ask.  An e-mail was received by me today that will begin to explain.  If you have seen "What the Bleep Do We Know?” and its sequel “Down the Rabbit Hole”  you have already begun this journey.

First a 2.5 minute video Quantum Activist YouTube Movie Trailer

EXCERPTS from the e-mail: Amit Goswami  A Pioneer of the New Paradigm
The more scientists uncover about the universe, the more amazing they discover the universe to be. It seems that science need not be just a materialistic pursuit, but may point towards the existence of the soul and God.

So what are these transforming messages of quantum physics? First, consciousness is the ground of all being, and all objects of our experiences (of sensing, thinking, feeling, and intuition) are quantum possibilities for consciousness to choose from. Second, if we choose what is conditioned in us from prior experiences, we are choosing from our ego-consciousness; whereas if we choose what is unknown and unmanifest in our prior experiences, we are choosing from what traditions call God-consciousness (or, in scientific language. ‘quantum consciousness’).

A paradigm shift is occurring in science, from a matter-based science to a new science based on the primacy of consciousness. During this Prophets Conference South India pilgrimage quantum physicist Amit Goswami, a pioneer of the new paradigm, will guide you into understanding the idea of quantum consciousness and show how it integrates science and spirituality. He will teach how a new theory of evolution based on the primacy of consciousness resolves the difficulties of Darwinism and leads to the idea of planetary transformation as the next step of evolution.

The Embracing Transcendence pilgrimage in South India will help you break through your materialistic conditioning (ie, viewing reality as defined by Newtonian physics), to become free through a quantum understanding and experience of consciousness and God. If you wish to explore the idea that consciousness, rather than matter, is the ground of all being, then this revolutionary excursion into the sacred precincts is for you.

Whatever your background, this pilgrimage is sure to fascinate in its exploration of the transformative aspects of quantum physics. Amit will lead you through experiential exercises of quantum aspects of downward causation such as how to set intentions. In connection with the subtle dimension of reality you will experience your vital energy centres (the chakras) and chakra healing. In connection with creativity, you will have an experience of ‘creative flow’. Amit will initiate you into quantum activism, a new integral (karma) yoga for re-establishing ethics in ourselves and in our society. Do not miss this unique opportunity to travel and transform with Dr Amit Goswami and Dr Uma Krishnamurthy.

Amit’s wife, noted yoga psychologist Uma Krishnamurthy, will be guiding your mystical adventure through her South India homeland. Uma is a pioneer of yoga psychology and will introduce the basic concepts of the psychology of transformation. In particular, she will discuss and demonstrate during your time together the methods of transforming negative emotions into positive emotions. She will also delve deeply into the relevant teachings of the South India mystics.

Amit Goswami, Ph. D., is a professor of physics (retired) at the University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon where he has served since 1968. He is a pioneer of the new paradigm of science called science within consciousness an idea he explicated in his seminal book, The Self-Aware Universe where he also solved the quantum measurement problem elucidating the famous observer effect.

In his private life, Goswami is a practitioner of spirituality and transformation. He calls himself a quantum activist. He was featured in the film "What the Bleep Do We Know?” and its sequel “Down the Rabbit Hole” and in the documentary “Dalai Lama Renaissance.”

Dr Krishnamurthy has been traveling worldwide for the past ten years leading workshops and spiritual retreats on yoga psychology; in particular, she regularly conducts workshops at the Yoga Biomedical Trust in London, at Sivananda Yoga and Vedanta Centers worldwide, and at Krotona Theosophical Society, Ojai, California. She has also received formal training in classical Indian dance (Bharatiya Vidya / Bharatanatyam). Her research on the similarities of yoga and classical Indian dance has received much acclaim.

Full South India Pilgrimage Information Linked for You at greatmystery.org/events/india2010.html

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Broad -

Quite possibly the best post on the site today - thanks.  Would you consider firing up a separate thread on this so the topic can be easily found and followed?

From your description it sounds like Drs. Goswami and Krishnamurthy are taking (leading) the first steps towards realizing the "future" postulated in several of the essays in "Year Million" by Damien Broderick.

Quantum entangled, neural computers and a universenet.

Fascinating stuff - thanks again for the link.  Will watch tonight.  Not sure where I fall in the spectrum - I tend to be an objective, 'measure it' kind of person, but at the same time I have a part of me that functions without requiring any proofs.  Call it faith or Quantum Activism - doesn't matter to me and both work in the end.

Good thing our network operations center blocks You Tube or we'd never get any work done.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Broadspectrum wrote:

I also wanted to ask him if he considered himself a Quantum Activist. 

From your writings, I would say you probably are as well as C1oudfire, ao, JAG and certainly Gungnir...to name a few that come to mind. 

Hi, Broadspectrum;

Thanks for the recognition, but I must inform you that I am not a Quantum Activist.  I'm not going to elaborate, as I can't really do so without running afoul of the "no religion" clause. 

BTW, I'm really glad to see some new names and avatars showing up in the threads . . . welcome!

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

THANK YOU VanFox.....

beautiful piece

Brad's picture
Brad
Broadspectrum wrote:

If you have seen "What the Bleep Do We Know?” and its sequel “Down the Rabbit Hole”  you have already begun this journey.

Hi Broadspectrum,

I really enjoyed both of these movies...an amazing group of scientists, phyisists, and other "out of the box" thinkers.

I don’t think anarkst’s posts about his not needing to take the “human steps” of preparation for the “storm” that’s headed our way, are in alignment with Amit Goswami’s proposed relationship between the “ego” and the “quantum-self.”

I would try and make this idea relevant here, on this forum, by saying it‘s something like each of us working out our individual strategy (ego) to help assure our families safety through these turbulent times…and then coming together as an internet community to share ideas in a more global way (quantum-self).

Here is a snippet of an interview with Amit Goswami that elaborates on this idea…

Brad

"The place from where I create…you and I become one. So I can look at my interest and you can look at your interest without any difficulty whatsoever, because this individual selfishness, it just disappears. It’s just an illusion. It doesn’t exist on that level, but actually when you analyze this…(and it’s a bit more subtle)…why?...because it’s still this “I” that I’ve identified; this individual that I’ve identified. This “I” has to prepare the ground work for that leap to that non-ordinary state that I sometimes call the “quantum-self.” So this ego is important in that dance in the sense that the ego has to prepare. And then when that leap occurs to the quantum-self, and we have the great “insight,” the ego has to manifest that insight. So the ego comes in both the manifestation stage, and the comparison stage. And because of that it’s a dance of the ego and the quantum-self both. We cannot disfigure the individuality completely…denigrate the individual movement. It is both the movement of the individual and the movement of the whole…it cannot be otherwise."

Broadspectrum's picture
Broadspectrum
Re: Go To New Thread. Quantum Activist

Hi DIAP,

Thanks for the encouragement.  That means a lot coming from you.  I will take you up on your suggestion.  If it gets moved to CT, then so be it.  You said, "Not sure where you fall in the spectrum".  Well maybe, you enjoy a broad spectrum.  Ha ha.  Those DRs are not the first, but close, certainly a couple of the foremost.

Hi C1oudfire,

Thanks for that information and the welcoming.  I have been around a lot longer (I read here just about every day) than the number of my posts indicate.  My first visit to CM.com, October 7, 2008 to be exact, the day of the Stock Market's all time high.  What a coincidence.  Not so - from a quantum viewpoint.  I also appreciate the viewpoint of your posts/threads and your adherence to the rules.  My posts being so few and far between would be easy to miss. 

Hi Brad,

I'm glad you saw those movies.  They have opened so many door for many persons...helping them connect.  Well, that's where I'm closing the door.  I am going to open a new door, a forum topic so as to discuss, as you so succinctly put it, "it‘s something like each of us working out our individual strategy (ego) to help assure our families safety through these turbulent times…and then coming together as an internet community to share ideas in a more global way (quantum-self)".

Give me a few moments.  Thanks All,

Broadspectrum

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments