Threadiquette, aka Time Management and CM Posts

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Threadiquette, aka Time Management and CM Posts

Hi, folks;

I can't help but notice that some of our usual sources of highly useful posts and threads are less visible of late.  Speculating as to why this might be, it seems to me that one logical inference is that those who are busy doing have less time for reading and posting.  Which is fine, and as it should be, except that there are fewer opportunities for us to benefit from their collective experiences.  I've reflected on this, and seen that there are several things that I can do to make the use of this site more efficient, so that folks can sample and contribute efficiently, and then go back to their gardens and other projects.  Here are a few of my ideas:

•  When posting lengthy articles, provide an unbiased synopsis of the article (and some separate editorial remarks, if desired), or at least a brief description, in addition to a link to the article.  Avoid posting the text of long articles in their totality.
  • When posting videos, rather than posting only the link or the embedded video, also provide a synopsis of the content, so that the potential viewer can ascertain whether it is pertinent to their interests without having to access it, wait for it to load, watch the obligatory ads, etc..
  • Limit personal chatter in the threads.  Highly personalized opinions and personal peccadilloes are OK, but not very useful to others in preparing for the future.  This is not to say, eliminate this sort of communication.  Certainly, this kind of conversation can be the spice that makes the information more palatable . . . and, to some extent, is the glue that binds people together.  But, it should not be the main course of threads other than those whose express purpose is recreational. 
  • Respect the intent of the thread originator, and, if a thread has evolved in an organic way, respect the current community of posters on that thread.  If a dramatic shift of the topic is desired, start a new thread, with focus on that aspect of the topic.  This saves time for subsequent users, as the content of the thread remains germane to its original title.
  • Especially if a thread has moved off-topic, make use of the subject line to reflect the content of the ongoing conversation, so that readers can determine whether that is a topic in which they are interested before navigating to the thread.
  • Before starting a new thread, do a quick search to determine whether the topic has already been covered, or whether a separate thread, exploring a specific aspect of that topic, is warranted.
  • Along those lines, in originating threads, avoid titles so cryptic that readers cannot have any indication of the thread's content without clicking on it. 

Well, that's all I can come up with for now.  Maybe, if we can make the threads a tad more concise, it will be possible for some of our highly engaged members, who are deeply involved in the process of preparing, to come to the table, now and then, to share their experiences and wisdom. 

Disclaimer:  This is should not be construed to exclusively advocate highly sterile postings of data and statistics, or to entirely stifle glimpses of individual personality. 

So, with that, I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts on how we can make this a more efficient process, while still maintaining the character that makes this community uniquely "CM". 

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12
Re: Threadiquette, aka Time Management and CM Posts

c1oudfire

I like those suggestions, will try to follow them myself.

Regards

D

Brandon's picture
Brandon

c1oud,

These are great thoughts.  You really nailed it.  I especially agree with 1,2,3,4,5,6 and.....well, all of them.

Thanks...I will try to implement!

-Brandon

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

C!oudfire ,  

Sorry  All , I am just a Sidetracked Sister by design .. I  too will  try to stick to the Ideas or  stay off  post .  My  Threadiquette has probably frustrated more than a few.  Thanks for the Hints .

Diana

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Hmmm, I have to plead no lo contendere on personal chatter and off-topic-ness.  I'd plead guilty as charged but I do make a good-faith effort in these regards.  So -- I'll see if'n I can't keep myself in reasonable check.

Viva -- Sager 

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Au contraire mon amie!

Hi, Diana;

Au contraire mon amie!  Yours are especially the sort of post I'd like to see more of . . . You are actively engaged in preparing for the future, on the physical, emotional, and spiritual fronts.  You have years of experience in these arenas.  And, to our benefit, you have recently been generous enough to take time out of your busy day to offer us bits of wisdom gleaned from your experiences . . . Please continue to do so.  (See disclaimer, above).  Your recent deliciously long post describing the establishment of your homestead is just the sort of thing I'd like to see more of.  Carry on!

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

Allrighty then ,   This is how my mind goes ...   Chokecherries  are ready !!   Wildprairie are you up for making Jelly ? Call me  Monday .

Diana

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
On Mea Culpas

Hiya Sager;

OK . . . I thought I handled this in the disclaimer, but apparently, I came across differently than I intended.  For the record, Sager, your occasional brief colorful personal remarks are just the sort of thing that I enjoy as spice with my meat and potatoes.  Like a skilled chef, you have a good sense of how much spice is more, and when more is less.  I have especially found your recent posts regarding the community you are investigating, and the thought processes you are engaging in, relative to same, very relevant.  And, given their sporadic frequency, I personally feel that your occasional witty off-hand remarks are a great example of how to add a little wit and personality to the conversation.  That goes a long way toward keeping the conversation lively and palatable. 

To All; 

FWIW, I think it's just fine . . . more than that . . . It's welcome, to occasionally post an interesting or humorous anecdote about some day-to-day experience related to preparing for the future.  But, more to the point, this is not about what enjoy or find relevant . . . And, really, in any case, it has more to do with volume than any specific type of post. 

I'm not going to respond reassuringly to every mea culpa that folks post, because, sure enough, one of the most egregious offenders will come on, and I will not be able to honestly offer reassurance without being disingenuous.  So, suffice to say that I shared these as personal guidelines for examination of my own practices, and would like to open the floor to discussion of other ideas that I may not have considered.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Diana wrote:

Allrighty then ,   This is how my mind goes ...   Chokecherries  are ready !!   Wildprairie are you up for making Jelly ? Call me  Monday .

Diana

Now, that's an example of something that, in my mind, might be better left to a PM . . . (Unless there's a cryptic message in there that I didn't understand.)    My reasoning is that it seems that this message is intended for one member . . . Or did I read this wrongly?

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

.   Yes ..  it was a hint to everyone ...  we  all  need to know  that  we are allowed a very short time to glean the wild fruit ..... Before the birds get them all .  Some may not have been out looking .      We need to get  off our computers and get to it .    No I do  not have time to go searching the archives for the  fruity section .    And yes while I was here I left a short message  of a personal kind  ...while I still had an Internet signal . 

Time is Money ...  to me Time is more precious than money .

Lakhota's picture
Lakhota

I am a bit confused.  Has this not already been addressed by Dr. Martenson's team?  http://www.peakprosperity.com/faq/forum-guidelines 

I would think that one would not want to try and regulate the posting styles of any members of this site.  Not all memberrs of tiwahe are the same and it is through this interaction that we learn.

Ms. C1oudfire, I also find it puzzling that this appeal is coming from you who has an odd history of editing your past posts with a single period, in some cases removing valuable information that would have been of benefit to other readers.  Have you received some direction from the Dr. Martenson's team that we should all be adhering to?

All members, please bear with me as I fear I may have misunderstood something.  If that misunderstanding has lead me to post my observations in error, please do not let that cause disagreement. 

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Re: On Mea Culpas
C1oudfire wrote:

Hiya Sager;

OK . . . I thought I handled this in the disclaimer, but apparently, I came across differently than I intended.  For the record, Sager, your occasional brief colorful personal remarks are just the sort of thing that I enjoy as spice with my meat and potatoes.  Like a skilled chef, you have a good sense of how much spice is more, and when more is less.  

Okay.  Cool!  Hard to know where that elusive "line" is sometimes.  (But I also know that I catch myself doing OT posts a lot, so that I will work on...)

Viva -- Sager

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Lakhota wrote:

I am a bit confused.  Has this not already been addressed by Dr. Martenson's team?  http://www.peakprosperity.com/faq/forum-guidelines 

I would think that one would not want to try and regulate the posting styles of any members of this site.  Not all memberrs of tiwahe are the same and it is through this interaction that we learn.

Ms. C1oudfire, I also find it puzzling that this appeal is coming from you who has an odd history of editing your past posts with a single period, in some cases removing valuable information that would have been of benefit to other readers.  Have you received some direction from the Dr. Martenson's team that we should all be adhering to?

All members, please bear with me as I fear I may have misunderstood something.  If that misunderstanding has lead me to post my observations in error, please do not let that cause disagreement. 

Hi, Lakhota;

Please note the context of my posts in which I describe these as my personal guidelines . . . You may adopt them, or add to them, or ignore them, as you see fit.  Of course, Dr. Martenson will set all forum guidelines . . . That is a given.  And, yes, I have received some personal guidance from the Martenson team.  And, it is just that . . . personal.  (No offense intended, but it's not like we have an ongoing rapport.) 

Your observations are noted, and I apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused you. 

I apologize for my limited time . . . I don't speak Lakhota, and I frequently don't have any idea what you are saying.  And furthermore, your sehewe ast afrunpus et anwiche awawe. 

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Re: On Mea Culpas
SagerXX wrote:
C1oudfire wrote:

Hiya Sager;

OK . . . I thought I handled this in the disclaimer, but apparently, I came across differently than I intended.  For the record, Sager, your occasional brief colorful personal remarks are just the sort of thing that I enjoy as spice with my meat and potatoes.  Like a skilled chef, you have a good sense of how much spice is more, and when more is less.  

Okay.  Cool!  Hard to know where that elusive "line" is sometimes.  (But I also know that I catch myself doing OT posts a lot, so that I will work on...)

Viva -- Sager

What's an OT post?

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Diana wrote:

.   Yes ..  it was a hint to everyone ...  we  all  need to know  that  we are allowed a very short time to glean the wild fruit ..... Before the birds get them all .  Some may not have been out looking .      We need to get  off our computers and get to it .    No I do  not have time to go searching the archives for the  fruity section .    And yes while I was here I left a short message  of a personal kind  ...while I still had an Internet signal . 

Time is Money ...  to me Time is more precious than money .

Ah, I see . . . You are more subtle, Diana, than I imagined.  I thought you were doing it as a humorous example of what not to do, but I see that your meaning was at least twofold . . . . Still waters run deep.  Hope your internet connection holds up. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments