Thoughts about upcoming natural gas vehicles?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
xseo93x's picture
xseo93x
Thoughts about upcoming natural gas vehicles?

Hello CMers! I've been reading a lot about natural gas vehicles lately, especially Honda's CNG civic. Though I do realize the cost of the vehicle may currently outweigh the fuel cost benefits, I just wanted to know whether or not you guys think the US will be able to implement this cheaper and cleaner alternative fuel before this peak oil problem gets out of hand. I know California is making some pretty good progress in building fueling stations around the state, but what are some of your outlooks on this based on vehicle costs and implementation in terms of rebuilding fueling stations and replacing gasoline powered vehicles. I'm not much of an expert on this topic, so i'd really appreciate some incite on this topic! 

Ayala's picture
Ayala
Very good question and I

Very good question and I hope there are some answers. 

I would also be curious if anyone has any insight into the cost of having a home fueling option. I've got a 1,000 gallon tank burried for my generator and it would sure add a lot of resiliency to be able to power a CNG (or in my case Propane) vehicle using a home refueling station and a huge tank.

BTW, if anyone is wondering, the cost of the tank and regulators and installation to be able to power my generator was $3,000 for the 1,000 gallon propane tank and the local delivery company that tops off the gas charges $.30/gallon over rack. The unknown is how much the equipment would cost, including installation, to be able to use that same tank to refill a car's gas tank.

I look forward to hearing responses, xseo93x, to your question as well.

Cheers!

Jager06's picture
Jager06
CNG/ LNG/ LPG

I have recently been looking into an older 4WD vehicle and have found that the best bang for the buck is a conversion kit.

For around $1000.00 you can convert an older, carburated vehicle to nat gas or propane. There are specific rules that vary from state to state, and in my state an inspection and certification must be passed for on road use.

However, at $2.70 a gallon for propane, even with a 10% decrease in fuel efficency, there is a chance to save some money. Additional money flowing into companies who manufacture this type of conversion will increase it's research and availability. The same with any market creating economic condition.

There are also dual fuel kits that allow you to switch on the fly between the compressed fuel and regular gasoline that provide even more options for the driver.

So, instead of buying that expensive new car or truck, go for the cheap used one, and convert it to dual fuel use. Save money on purchase, operating costs and diversify your fuel usage to make yourself more resilient.

A win/ win in my book.

Best Wishes,

Jager06

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments