Term limits?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
semmer's picture
semmer
Term limits?

Congress (both parties) has proven its inability to handle our nation's finances prudently. We have a cycle where an elected representative owes 'favors' to those who helped elect him, resulting in runaway government spending.  Pork is the lifeblood of all members of Congress as they seek to remain in power.  Pork produces votes. I think the time has come for term limits.  While term limits has some downside in that the (few) good representatives will be sent home, there are many more "bad" reps that will be purged from the system.  I would add that as they are sent home, they should be forced to give up their "special retirement plan" and join the rest of us in the Social Security program. 

Alex Szczech's picture
Alex Szczech
Re: Term limits?

Term limits would be healthy for the body politic. Two terms for the Senate and 6 terms for the House. 

It seems to me the Republicans promised term limits with their so-called "Contract with America" back in 94.They won a majority in both houses and didn't do squat. Yell

scbissler's picture
scbissler

The main problem with term limits (besides being a restriction on voters' choice, and thus democracy) is that it would only encourage more looting from those in congress.  If they know they only have a certain amount of time they will work all that much harder to get their fat little fingers on whatever they can, enrich their friends, and set themselves up for cushy jobs.  The way to limit their chicanery is decentralization. 

caroline_culbert's picture
caroline_culbert
semmer wrote:

Congress (both parties) has proven its inability to handle our nation's finances prudently. We have a cycle where an elected representative owes 'favors' to those who helped elect him, resulting in runaway government spending.  Pork is the lifeblood of all members of Congress as they seek to remain in power.  Pork produces votes. I think the time has come for term limits.  While term limits has some downside in that the (few) good representatives will be sent home, there are many more "bad" reps that will be purged from the system.  I would add that as they are sent home, they should be forced to give up their "special retirement plan" and join the rest of us in the Social Security program. 

Well this puts the majority of the burden on the system of "term limits" instead of imposing the burden upon the constituents as it should be??

Ken C's picture
Ken C

The length of terms for Senate and Assembly are set in the Constitution so any change would take an amendment- next to impossible even if it is a good idea.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments