Taking Down America by Alfred W. McCoy

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Poet's picture
Poet
Taking Down America by Alfred W. McCoy

I read a really interesting article that outlines several scenarios for the end of American hegemony, all supposed to take place by 2025. Personally, I think we'll be lucky if it lasts that long. I'd love to get some of your thoughts on the scenarios after reading the article. How plausible are they? Or will it be something else?

From the Asia Times, December 7, 2010:
Taking Down America
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/LL07Ak01.html

Or from TomDispatch, December 5, 2010, as:
The Decline and Fall of the American Empire
Four Scenarios for the End of the American Century by 2025
http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/175327/tomgram%3A_alfred_mccoy%2C_taking...

• Economic Decline
  • Oil Shock
  • Military Misadventure
  • World War III

Introduction:
"A soft landing for America 40 years from now? Don't bet on it. The demise of the United States as the global superpower could come far more quickly than anyone imagines. If Washington is dreaming of 2040 or 2050 as the end of the American Century, a more realistic assessment of domestic and global trends suggests that in 2025, just 15 years from now, it could all be over except for the shouting.

"Despite the aura of omnipotence most empires project, a look at their history should remind us that they are fragile organisms. So delicate is their ecology of power that, when things start to go truly bad, empires regularly unravel with unholy speed: just a year for Portugal, two years for the Soviet Union, eight years for France, 11 years for the Ottomans, 17 years for Great Britain, and, in all likelihood, 22 years for the United States, counting from the crucial year 2003."

An interesting quote:
"Embattled empires through the ages suffer an arrogance that drives them to plunge ever deeper into military misadventures until defeat becomes debacle. In 413 BCE, a weakened Athens sent 200 ships to be slaughtered in Sicily. In 1921, a dying imperial Spain dispatched 20,000 soldiers to be massacred by Berber guerrillas in Morocco. In 1956, a fading British Empire destroyed its prestige by attacking Suez. And in 2001 and 2003, the U.S. occupied Afghanistan and invaded Iraq."

Poet

maceves's picture
maceves
Re: Taking Down America by Alfred W. McCoy

Wow!

Well, it looks like there isn't anything I can do about any of that except worry about it.  I have often wondered what it would be like if China invaded and took over the United States.  That is what I call a nightmare.

Poet's picture
Poet
Re: Taking Down America by Alfred W. McCoy
maceves wrote:

Wow!

Well, it looks like there isn't anything I can do about any of that except worry about it.  I have often wondered what it would be like if China invaded and took over the United States.  That is what I call a nightmare.

Luckily, China will never invade. The sheer logistics problem aside, it would just be too costly.

If a country were to do it, it would make more sense to use economic dominance and just buy the profitable businesses and natural resources outright, then use American courts and police to enforce the ownership. Oh yeah, it's happening already, with many foreign corporations...

Poet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments