Taking the California bar exam in 5 weeks..

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD
Taking the California bar exam in 5 weeks..

Its the time of year when 1000's of people are prepping for the bar exam. I just so happen to live in California so ill be taking the hardest bar exam in the country. The feb 2009 bar had the lowest pass rate in decades being 35% of all takers. July should have better results because of the extreme downside on the pass rate last time. Regardless, im pretty nervous.

I know that if i dont pass it wont be the end of the world as i could keep taking it until i do pass. Regardless it is so exciting being so close to adulthood, real adulthood with the prospects of finding meaningful employment and becoming a productive member of society. Im 26 and still feel like a kid as i have never earned a real paycheck before. Ive been in school since the age of 4 so in a sense ive been sheltered from the realities of the real world. Law school is somewhat more realistic as they do drop the bottom 15% of the 1st year class (at least my school does). I was pretty scared of not making it the first year but my confidence helped me overcome. Now ive since recently graduated and am prepping day and night for this exam. Im scoring close to passing but not stong enough to pass if i took it today. Ive got a couple thousand more hours to review and prepare so im betting that my performance will increase.

The feeling is surreal. One exam seperates me from student to professional status. I would prefer a free market alternative where graduating law school with a valid Juris Doctor is sufficient to practice law. However, government has control and jurisdiction over the practice of law so i have to prove to the State Bar of California that i have the minimum competence to become a practicing attorney. As if the 100's of exams in law school, the $80,000 in student loans, and 7 years of education arent enough. Oh well, this is reality and i have to do what is required in this reality.

Wish me luck. And when i do pass :) ill be the first to bring a class action law suit against the federal reserve for intentionally and maliciously devaluing the value of our hard earned money for the benefit of some favored financial institutions and wall street greed.

Septimus's picture
Septimus
Re: Taking the California bar exam in 5 weeks..

Good luck on your exam and then fighting to uphold the Constitution afterward!

Lemonyellowschwin's picture
Lemonyellowschwin

What are you going to do for work when you pass?

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

I would like to do a little bit of everything to see what i really enjoy. Some business litigation, immigration, criminal defense, NO PERSONAL INJURY unless the plaintiff really got screwed. But it really depends on what the job market has to offer as i live in southern california (epicenter of subprime synthetic CDO implosion) so we will see. Lets i hope i pass first!!

Lemonyellowschwin's picture
Lemonyellowschwin

My understanding is that the legal job market is pretty tough.

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

The market is pretty bad but if your not picky you can find something pretty quick. For example, real estate lawyers are having a difficult time becuase the volume of transactions have slowed. However, business transactions (contracts, partnerships, corporations) continue to flow. Remember, when a big company goes bankrupt many new smaller companies become born. So opportunity exists with a law degree. Regardless of the current depression it is still possible to find meaningful employment and actually accumulate wealth. Its going to be tougher than it was thats for sure but that is life and we must play with the cards we have been dealt.

For example, many people in cali owe tons of money on their houses but also own properties. Swaps with banks could occur whereby the bank takes a property in exchange for cutting the amount owed. Also, immigration is a good area to practice in socal. Less immigrants are coming but there are still immigrants coming. Im excited for the future!!

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Good luck dude, because we all know the world needs more lawyers! :)

jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10

Bear, you might take a look at estate planning and elder law. There are a lot of us crotchety baby boomers getting old out here.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments