Sustainable Living Lesson IV: Pre-Electricity Household Appliances and How They Work

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
metalmongrel's picture
metalmongrel
Sustainable Living Lesson IV: Pre-Electricity Household Appliances and How They Work

Wow, I just found another great resource for household living technologies.  The following book is called "Physics of the Household" and the beauty of it is that it was written in 1918.  While you might think that this would have very outdated technology, it's actually better that it's not too advanced because almost everything in it looks simple and "somewhat" home-makeable out of easy to find materials (no injection molded plastic, circuit boards, etc).  Also, even though my last lesson was about electricity, this book will teach you nearly everything you need to know about non-electric household appliances and how they work in case you're without electricity for an extended period of time.  A free PDF of it is available here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=5KkLAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA168&lpg=PA168&dq=household+list+of+conductors+of+electricity&source=web&ots=4DuzwLDVVN&sig=aj2JJ0sj9kwzmhT8nUJDiyPsljw&hl=en&ei=Kg6WSdnTLJWksAOR_vmmBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result#PPA87,M1

It has diagrams on how how almost everything found in the house works.  From heaters, to coffee grinders, to fruit pressers, to water wells, to hydraulic belows, to everything you might need.  The best part about it is that it has the physical equations there to accompany each tool or property.  I think this is by far the most important material that one could have if they're going to be stuck without modern ammenities for a long time.  The pictures and diagrams are very usefuly as well.  I'm printing this puppy out for sure...

-Tom

Ruhh's picture
Ruhh
Re: Sustainable Living Lesson IV: Pre-Electricity ...

I'd like to start by saying thanks for posting this series. I know I'll
definitely be using the well water instructions this coming spring. You
probably just save me a few hundred bucks... or at least a few hours
worth of reasearch!

The  book looks pretty interesting. I don't understand how to get the free PDF though? I even sighned in but it looks like I have to buy it. Am I missing something?

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
Ruhh wrote:

worth of reasearch!

The  book looks pretty interesting. I don't understand how to get the free PDF though? I even sighned in but it looks like I have to buy it. Am I missing something?

Ruhh,

On the right hand side of the page just a couple of lines under the My library | Sign in link, there is a [GO] button with a "search" box immediately to the left. Under that is the download link:   Download PDF - 4.8M

Fogle's picture
Fogle

Sounds like a great book. But I have simelar problems as Ruhh. Maybe the pdf-download is not availeble tot non-US users. Probably a copy-right issue. The direct link gave a 404-error.

Too bad, but I did ad it to my watch-list for when I am roaming secondhand bookstores. I will come across it for sure. Thanks for posting.

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor

Nice find, Metal.

Link did work fine for me (U.S.). Reminds me of the chemistry experiments I did at home as kid, now largely illegal, LOL. I have a few of my old books around but let us know if you find similar free books for making stuff. I have formularies, etc., though you'd need to equip a small lab.

SG

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Why couldn't somebody who d/l in US e-mail the pdf as an attachment to our friends elsewhere?  Would the Book Cops run all over my wife's clean Pergo floor in their jackboots?

Just wondrin', Sager 

Kaisdad's picture
Kaisdad
SamLinder wrote:
Ruhh wrote:

worth of reasearch!

Ruhh,

On the right hand side of the page just a couple of lines under the My library | Sign in link, there is a [GO] button with a "search" box immediately to the left. Under that is the download link:   Download PDF - 4.8M

Sam has provided the link, just right click save target as and DL, you may need to rename the file with a pdf extension to open it. Good luck

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder

I just tried the link. It goes to the right place but the free download option seems to have disappeared! Even signing in doesn't help. Very strange.

I managed to download the file when it was first presented on 2/13/09, but it is 5MB (341 pages). Not something that can be posted here.

If you are interested in trying to get a copy, send me an email via the link under my name and I'll try and email you a copy back - that's assuming your email system can accept 5MB files.

Ruhh's picture
Ruhh

Sam

The link did work right from here.

you have to right click the following and choose 'save link as'

http://books.google.com/books/pdf/Physics_of_the_Household.pdf?id=5KkLAA...

thanks again.

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
Ruhh wrote:

Sam

The link did work right from here.

you have to right click the following and choose 'save link as'

http://books.google.com/books/pdf/Physics_of_the_Household.pdf?id=5KkLAA...

thanks again.

Ruhh,

I'm beginning to think I'm losing it! Your link works great - quite direct. Just for grins I tried the other link again that I had a problem with and the download option is there again! Yikes! Yell

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments