Sustainable communities in Canada?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
TheRemnant's picture
TheRemnant
Sustainable communities in Canada?

Hi Folks,

I would like to know if any of you know of a community in Canada that is (a) aware of the Crash Course or (b) at least concerned with living within our energy means.  

I live in Ontario.  I'd like to know.  However, if the community you know of is in British Columbia, feel free.

I am not interested in co-housing/communes etc etc, just simply perhaps a neighbourhood where there might be 1-5 acre properties where others are reaching out towards sustainability/resilience/reduction of energy footprint.

Anyone know of anything?

Cheers!

guardia's picture
guardia
Re: Sustainable communities in Canada?

I have my parents that are well established in a small village in Quebec... They are pretty much alone preparing, but they sure would like some company too :)

Mario Galante's picture
Mario Galante

Hi guardia,

Can you please provide more details on that village in Quebec?

yoshhash's picture
yoshhash

I used to live in downtown Ottawa.  Not sure how this came about, but there is the tightest community there of extremely involved, enviro-sensitive, informed, generous, peace and party loving (and well established and well connected, I might add) people I have ever met in my life.  I mean at least over 30 or 40 households.  Not sure if they are into the CC, but I'm sure they would be open to hearing about it.

peter31's picture
peter31

I live in a rural area just north of Kingston, Ontario on a 2-acre property, so I guess I'm in the demographic you are looking for.  Problem is, I'm in a community of one in the sense of preparing for peak oil, although I have my suspicions about my neighbours across the road, who also live on a 2 acre property and who are unusually keen on vegetable gardening.

I'd be interested to hear of like minded people in my area, and to that end it would be very helpful if people posting replies could indicate whether they are Eastern, Western or Northern Ontario, as Ontario is a big place and most of the action at the moment seems to be in Western Ontario (Greater Toronto area), and very little in my patch of Eastern Ontario.

You might be interested to see my contribution to post peak living:

www.postpeakmedicine.com

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments