Survival +: Structuring Prosperity for Yourself and the Nation

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Survival +: Structuring Prosperity for Yourself and the Nation

I don't know how many of you read Survival+ by Charles Hugh Smith but I have heard some people mention it here. I finished reading it a few weeks ago and I can't stop thinking about it. This is the most lucid and thorough investigation into what is (and has been) going on that I have ever read. I normally don't recommend books but this book is clearly a must read. Extremely impressive.

What are your thoughts?

No...I'm not being paid to say this. Smile

suesullivan's picture
suesullivan
Re: Survival +: Structuring Prosperity for Yourself and the ...

I already like the title. I've been struck lately by the dichotomy between Sharon Astyk's take on the future and preparing oneself for a genteel slide into tolerable poverty, and Jim Rogers' urging folks to invest in agricultural commodities to build wealth. I want to prepare for these dislocations, but I don't want it to be an inevitable slide into lower-classness for us, and I'm struggling with whether I should be figuring out how to make money in this new world, or simply keep trying to save and squirrel it away. Does the book address this conundrum?

idoctor's picture
idoctor

Thanks Johnny O.

http://www.oftwominds.com/survival-plus1.html

darbikrash's picture
darbikrash

I've also just finished it and I found it to be one of the best books I have read in quite some time. Although his topic and direction are quite ambitious, I think he pulls it off sucessfully integrating many of themes discussed here, and adds addtional scope.

It's well done and a must read for anyone frequenting this site. I've often wished there were forums or threads diedicated to discussing current and relevant books such as these, as they are just too important to file away on the shelf and forget.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Suesullivan wrote:

...but I don't want it to be an inevitable slide into lower-classness for us, and I'm struggling with whether I should be figuring out how to make money in this new world, or simply keep trying to save and squirrel it away. Does the book address this conundrum?

I would be less concerned with lower class / middle class and more concerned about being in a surviving class. I would also be less concerned with 'making' money and more concerned with 'keeping what you have' as well as how to survive from day to day.

Yes the book does address this. Go to idoctor's link and you can read it, or most of it, for free. I would suggest buying the book because its cheap and you will want to have it as a reference.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Read it cover to cover.

One of my Top-5 all time favorites.

The best way to look out for Number 1 is to also look out for Numbers 2 through 20.... ~ Charles Hugh Smith

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Morpheus what are your other top 4?

SteveR's picture
SteveR
Must-Read Book

I just finished a book that has blown me away and may be the most important book that I have read for a long time. [Note: I was just about to create a new post about this book and then saw this thread.]  This is the first book that I’ve seen that clearly explains the interactions – almost from a systems engineering perspective – among the Plutocracy, the Savior State, the Underclass, the Middle Class, the mass media, etc.

Here’s an excerpt:

“The primary means of controlling our experience and thus manufacturing our passive acceptance of a debt-serf/financial “Plantation” economy ruled by a partnership of a corrupt, over-reaching State and rentier-financial Power Elite is the mass media/marketing complex owned and operated by a handful of global media corporations.”

The most important chapter (IMO) is available as a free download here:

http://www.oftwominds.com/Survival/Overreach-InequalitySP.pdf (6 pages)

And here is the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Survival-Structuring-Prosperity-Yourself-Nation/dp/1449563449

Disclosures: I have no financial ties to this book or its author.

darbikrash's picture
darbikrash
Johnny Oxygen wrote:

Morpheus what are your other top 4?

I'd be interested in that list myself.

I'll throw in my picks:

- Life, Inc. Douglas Ruskoff

- The Long Descent John Michael Greer

- The Fourth Turning William Strauss and Neil Howe

- Consumed Benjamin Barber

- The Sorrows of Empire Chalmers Johnson

goes211's picture
goes211

I just finished reading this and I am really impressed.  It reminded me a of a modern philosophical interpretation of Hayak's "The Road to Serfdom".  I think it is the best critique of our current system that I have read to date.  They are certainly not the same, but I felt strabes Renaissance 2.0 hit videos hit on some of the same topics but with more accessability to the mainstream reader / viewer because it is far easier to watch some youtube videos than to read a 400 page book.

I would love to hear what a mainstream (non-crash course mentality) reader thought of this book.  Did it change their thinking in any way or did they just think it was all a bunch of bunk?

Also has anyone read the free version and the full version?  I read the full version and I was wondering what readers of the free version missed.

Saffron's picture
Saffron

I would like to place a group order for Survival + since a few of us are talking about meeting and I'm thinking a book discussion would be a great way to start. I'm wondering if the full book itself is too ambitious for a group project and am wondering a) if anyone has read the Primer and b) what your thoughts are for reading one vs the other.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments