Survival Mode: (For now forget about deflation of property) Should I Buy Property With Land or Water?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
nickdanger's picture
nickdanger
Survival Mode: (For now forget about deflation of property) Should I Buy Property With Land or Water?

If you had a chance to purchase a house and you have only the choice of acreage or water which do you think is the best?  let's say,  i have a choice of purchasing a house with 5 acres or a house on a lake with only a quarter acre.  assuming you are trying to position yourself for worse case scenario and hope for best for the economy.  understanding the triangle of life:  food/water, protection and shelter.  what would you do? and why.  i have that chance and i'm struggling with it.

jumblies's picture
jumblies
Re: SURVIVAL MODE: (for now forget about deflation of ...

I guess it depends on rainfall, but I'd suggest land is more important on account of being able to raise crops and animals. i guess with a lake you could raise fish. and frogs.

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

Even a private lake will be shared by others. That could be a benefit or a drawback depending on your relationship with others around you.

If it were my choice I would choose the 5 acres provided you had access to water via a well or stream.

The publicness of a lake would make me wary.

nickdanger's picture
nickdanger

good point johnny thanks

nickdanger's picture
nickdanger

@jumblies...my thoughts  exactly

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Johnny Oxygen wrote:

If it were my choice I would choose the 5 acres provided you had access to water via a well or stream.

I agree with Johnny for the reasons both posters stated.  To me, choosing land over a lake is not even an issue.

Travlin 

earthwise's picture
earthwise
Travlin wrote:
Johnny Oxygen wrote:

I agree with Johnny for the reasons both posters stated.  To me, choosing land over a lake is not even an issue.

Travlin 

I'll second that. What good is unlimited water if you have no land to take advantage of it. Five acres is good; you can grow a lot of food on that.

sofistek's picture
sofistek

I would definitely go for the land, assuming that there is a reasonable amount of rainfall. You can always catch rainwater (with as many water tanks as you can put in). You can also plant, over time, a food forest which creates its own microclimate, reducing the need for irrigation.

aggrivated's picture
aggrivated

I have no idea what the 5 acres you are considering looks like?  Do find out about water avaliabitly, it is critical.  If you are looking at 5 acres and it will cost you $10K to sink a well on that land, then you need to factor in that cost.  Also, deep wells take big electric pumps to extract the water.

If the terrain is suitable and water is not too deep underground, a nice holding pond can be created out of one of the acres.  This would give you enough water for the times when rain is scarce. Then you would have your own lake.  My place has a 1.5 acre pond w/ an avg 5 feet depth.  That's a lot of water! 

Also, the concept of holding tanks is excellent.   I have seen layouts that catch roof runoff and feed into very large holding tanks; enough to go through a long dry season.  Also, consider that water can be pumped slowly out of a lake at lower elevation to a tank at your highest elevation with a small DC motor pump run off photo electric power.  This will give you gravity fed irrigation. 

I agree with the other posts that 1/4 acre is close to inadequate and lake sharing associations can be problematic.    Could you have a house boat and use the land for the garden?  It's not really enough to be self sustaining with a house also.  Also, most areas require at least an acre for septic, so this must be close to a municipal sewer system. Your neighbors in the lake property situation will be very important.

Does anyone think 1/4 acre would be enough?  I'd like to hear a counter proposal to that end.

maceves's picture
maceves
Re: Survival Mode: (For now forget about deflation of ...

What about floods and high water?  You could have even less than that 1/4 acre in a really rainy season,  Our big lake here fluctuates from year to year.

Doug's picture
Doug

For me, my well is one of the most important assets I have.  There is nothing upland from the well that threatens the quality of the water.  In essence, water is a big part of my security.  I have springs that allowed me to dig a small 1/4 acre pond that always has water and is near my garden if I ever have to lug or pump water to the garden.  Much of the reason I have water security is that I have about 12 acres of land that is rich in water, even including a 4-5 acre wooded wetland.

I don't think having lake front property does much to make you sustainable, unless you have a way to transport that water to a garden.  Frequently, lake water, unless you can treat or filter it, isn't suitable for drinking.

I guess, in answer to the original question, land with groundwater is my priority.

Doug

txgirl69's picture
txgirl69

If you can put a well on the 5 acres, take it.

We have a well with a hand pump mounted on top. When we do lose power (we lose power often), there is no need to worry about accessing water. Also, if any of the surrounding neighbors have a well, you could offer to exchange meat/eggs from your animals for water, possibly?

The hand pump is relatively inexpensive and anyone can assemble it......

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments