Survey: Does KingWorldNews.com work for you? I get "500 Server Error" almost all the time

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.
Survey: Does KingWorldNews.com work for you? I get "500 Server Error" almost all the time

I'm curious whether others have the same difficulty I do accessing anything of substance from KingWorldNews.com. For example, I've been trying all weekend to listen to Ted Butler's weekly interview at http://www.kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/Broadcast_Gold+/Entries/2010/..., but can't get the page to load. I always get this error message:

Server Error

The following error occurred:

[code=SERVER_RESPONSE_RESET] The server response could not be read because of an error. Contact your system administrator.

Please contact the administrator.

This is the response I get at least 80% of the time. I wonder sometimes whether the problem is that KWN's server for some reason doesn't work outside normal U.S. hours. Being in Hong Kong, I normally am trying this in the wee hours of the morning U.S. time. I generally have to sit and just keep clicking Refresh until it finally works (no apparent rhyme or reason), except that it seems to work a little better late at night my time, meaning daytime in the USA. The problem is exaccerbated by KWN's refusal to publish their interviews on iTunes, making the KWN website the only source for this stuff.

I can't imagine this happens to everyone, since it's such a horrendous problem... Do others encounter this? I generally have excellent Internet service, fast access to most U.S. sites, and no trouble with other sites. My primary browser is Firefox but I also have tried using Explorer and Safari, and get the same results. I've also tried it from a different computer, same results.

Thanks,

Erik

p.s. I've experienced this problem for many months, so I'm sure it has nothing to do with my recent article criticizing KWN for their involvement with that GATA affair.

M.E.'s picture
M.E.
Re: Survey: Does KingWorldNews.com work for you? I get "500 ...

Just checked it and the site comes up fine here in MA, USA all the time.  We use Safari.  I sometimes listen to it on my iPhone with no problem.

Ken C's picture
Ken C

Hi Erik,

I just tried the Ted Butler interview on KWN and got a SERVICE TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE ERROR 503

this is the first time that that ever happened to me. I don't know why.

I use Firefox and I am in Calif. and it is almost 5:00 AM

Ken

Luc's picture
Luc

Hi Erik,

It loads easilly from Canada this morning.

Was in Florida yesterday and it loaded well.

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

Hmm. Interesting. I'm still getting exactly the same thing, as I almost always do... 500 Server Error on just about every page.

Is anyone out there in Asia? How does it work for you?

Thanks,

Erik

barrt's picture
barrt

Hi Erik

Try this (sorry to turn this into a geek thread)

The KWN site uses an Apple Quicktime plug in, which lets just say isnt the industry standard, it could be causing your browser to send odd comands to the KWN server causing it to crash if your copy is outdated or corrupt (500 errors are internal server errors, usually caused by poor code being executed, so its my guess that the problem is your browser plug in, or KWNs page coding, perhaps a bit of both. There are better ways IMO to deliver audio than Quicktime, see the CC for a good eg.)

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

is where you can update your plug in, then try the page again. If that doesnt work then perhaps contact KWN and suggest they hire me ;-)

You could also try disabling Quicktime in your browser, then just click on the mp3 link and let your audio player handle it

Either that or its a red govt firewall trying to shut you down, or rather KWN! (just kidding there)

If this helps I'll be delighted to have handed something back to you hombre for all the education I've had from you over the past year. Kudos Plus for the silver market articles too, I learned a lot. Laughing

Happy days y'all

barrt

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

Barrt,

Thanks for the kind words and advice, my friend. I installed the Quicktime upgrade which I'm sure didn't hurt, but unfortunately it didn't help either. Same exact problem after the upgrade and reboot.

No doubt KWN would be better off with you as their webmaster. I had an interaction with their webmaster several months ago where I pointed out they were loosing market share by not publishing their interviews thru iTunes store the way FSN and others including Two Beers With Steve publish their podcasts. The response was that they tried that but the webmaster couldn't figure out how to get it to work, so they gave up. No great surprise.

I'd e-mail Eric King a recommendation of your services, but somehow I don't think he's going to follow my advice in light of my recent article...

Thanks for trying, dude!

Erik

Travlin's picture
Travlin

I've never had a problem with KWN from from the mid-west including late at night.  Tried it just now and loaded the interview with no problem. 

SteveW's picture
SteveW

Erik,

It always works for me but I've become confused by the geek talk from barrt. Do I understand correctly (as I infer from him) that you load the webpage OK but then the audio MP3 link just fails?

I've got Windows Media player set as my default and it plays that way. Maybe his suggestion to disable Quicktime works?

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

SteveW,

No, I can get the home page all the time (KingWorldNews.com) but any of the other pages - individual interviews or even just the directory pages like the "Broadcast Gold+" page won't load. I just get "500 Server Error".

It seems to be an intermittent problem. If I just sit there and keep hitting refresh, after a hundred or more 500 Server Errors, it will suddenly just work - like some sort of fluke. But it's not that the problem has been fixed - subsequent attempts will result in a few hundred more 500 Server Errors before it works again.

The really frustrating (to me) part of this is that if they would just publish their stuff on iTunes like everyone else, I could get it there. I e-mailed the webmaster about that once and he told me he had tried but couldn't figure it out! Sounds like time for a new webmaster, but somehow I don't think Eric King is open to my constructive suggestions at this particular time...

Erik

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments