Sunspot Activity and the Stock Market

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
JAG's picture
JAG
Sunspot Activity and the Stock Market

Ok, its official, I heard it all now. Steve Hochberg of Bob Pretcher's www.elliottwave.com just published a newsletter in which he correlated the current absence of sunspot activity with the current bear market in stocks. I know that the human trait to discern patterns in the environment was useful during our evolutionary past, but to suggest a correlation between solar weather and the stock market is a "little" self-obsessed I think, and far from useful in our current environment.

In my life, and in the content of my posts here on CM.com, I have always tried to be open-minded and consider all the possibilities, but Pretcher just lost me with this one. How can I consider anything he says as credible now? In short, I can't.

I wish I could post the newsletter here for laughs, but its copyrighted material.

Thank God for Chris Martenson.

SPM's picture
SPM
Re: Sunspot Activity and the Stock Market

A few weeks back they had a short announcement on the news that someone had correlated all the sunspot cycles to all our recessions. I searched online for the bar graph they displayed on the boob tube, but I was never able to find it. I only took it for a grain of salt at the time.

I guess their fitting in pieces any way they can.

Sean

tx_floods's picture
tx_floods

One of the books I picked up at random at the library was called (more or less) "The Coming Economic Collapse of 2006" I cannot remember the name of the author. He tied in sunspot phenomena with economic cycles. Also, he used prophecies of Edgar Cayce to predict the next downturn. I read a few chapters, and quickly filed it under "K for kook". If you look hard enough, I guess you can find anything you want to find.

Ken C's picture
Ken C
JAG wrote:

Ok, its official, I heard it all now. Steve Hochberg of Bob Pretcher's www.elliottwave.com just published a newsletter in which he correlated the current absence of sunspot activity with the current bear market in stocks. I know that the human trait to discern patterns in the environment was useful during our evolutionary past, but to suggest a correlation between solar weather and the stock market is a "little" self-obsessed I think, and far from useful in our current environment.

In my life, and in the content of my posts here on CM.com, I have always tried to be open-minded and consider all the possibilities, but Pretcher just lost me with this one. How can I consider anything he says as credible now? In short, I can't.

I wish I could post the newsletter here for laughs, but its copyrighted material.

Thank God for Chris Martenson.

This is no more strange than people that correlate the presidential election to who wins the super bowl.

I think some folks still think that they can preview the future by looking at the innerds of a chicken.

Maybe it works???

Ken

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments