Suicide isn't painless.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
straight's picture
straight
Suicide isn't painless.

My mum lives in New Zealand [NZ].  She called in tears yesterday because a close friends teenage son had committed suicide by hanging himself from a tree on the banks of the local river.  This was the second suicide in the small rural town in a week and the fifth in the last year and a bit. 

Mum doesn’t want to live there anymore.  It is too depressing.  There are no jobs and the kids roam the streets looking for something to do.

The issue of youth suicide is of course a complex one.  Mum tells me that this lad, like so many in town, left school too early, failed to get one of the very limited number of jobs, then fell in with others in the same predicament, turned to drugs, got in trouble with the law, assaulted another youth in town and was meant to go to court in the next few days with the knowledge that this time he would probably do some cell time.

Even my elderly mum could see that the system and the society have failed this boy;  the boy didn’t see it that way, he took it all a bit personally, he saw it as his failure.

In recent visits to NZ I was amazed at the low level of public awareness of what is really happening in relation to the three E issues. 

Charles Hugh-Smith's writings of Dec'08 on 'the end of affluence' and 'the end of formal work' http://www.oftwominds.com/blog12-08.html paints a picture of a world where the victims of the system don’t get angry, but depressed because they blame themselves.  They don’t see the system failing them, they see themselves failing the system.  In his writings he talks of a possible rise in suicide rates as a response.

You know the system I talk of here, http://www.storyofstuff.com/, 'the matrix', the 'work, lend, spend, consume', cycle.

The stories that define our culture are fundamentally erroneous.  They simply don’t work, unless your postal address ends in ... Wall Street.  They have evolved and been manipulated to suit corporate and political needs. http://freedocumentaries.org watch 'the century of the self' and 'the trap'.

Those that fail to 'perform' seem to be taking it personally.  What is your experience of this?  Is suicide the new diabetes?

Straight. Brisbane. 

Mephi's picture
Mephi
Re: Suicide isn't painless.

Straight,

Had a similar situation in the town I live in. The wife stumbled across this apropo song: "Why" by Rascal Fatts. You can find it on Youtube. I suggest you pick the sample what displays the lyrics with the song and pictures. It kind of sums up your point about it not being painless perfectly. If only everyone contemplating this understood the wreckage they leave behind.

Mephi's picture
Mephi

To make it easier here is the link:

straight's picture
straight

Yeh Mephi, thats a very powerful song.

My mum grew up in the little farming town that she lives in now.  I spent holidays there with my Grandmother.

It is very different now.  It is still slow and beautiful.  Now my folks are the age my Grandmother was when i used to visit on holidays.

In my mind the 'Crash Course' is like an 'anti-suicide' pill.  Once you know that the system was not set up with you in mind'; once you are aware of all the issues in the course, then you are better armed to survive. 

Personally I got the near depression over with in advance of the rest... I think thats great!   

I believe the future will bring much stress and many people will not challenge the 'system', they will challege themselves.

If you want to inoculate your frinds, get them to watch the 'Crash Corse'.

Straight.

Ed Archer's picture
Ed Archer

Sadly, I see this as an increasing trend, lots of kids will realize they have no chance of using their expensive educations or getting a wellpaying blue collar job, those who don't get angry are maybe gonna want to end it all. :(

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12

Very sad. 

Some info on suicide for those interested:

http://www.stopasuicide.org/index.aspx

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments