A suggestion for the moderators regarding flagging of posts

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
rowmat's picture
rowmat
A suggestion for the moderators regarding flagging of posts

As there has been some angst recently concering the flagging of posts I suggest the following.

I can understand the flagging of post that contain personal attacks, banned subject matter, inaccurate or totally off topic subject matter.

Yes and there is a section for 'controversial subjects'.

But the flagging of posts that contain factual, relevant information has me somewhat perplexed.

The post I'm refering to is concering the G20 meeting in Pittsburg.

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/g-20-pittsburgh-summit-americas-sons-and-daughters-feel-hard-bite-martial-law/28377

Now I know the emphasis of the website are the three 'E's and based upon that very premise I would have thought almost nothing could indeed be more 'on topic' than the G20... why?

What is the G-20?

"The Group of Twenty (G-20) Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors was established in 1999 to bring together systemically important industrialized and developing economies to discuss key issues in the global economy."

Now some may argue that the the title of Larry's post "G-20 Pittsburgh Summit - America's sons and daughters feel the hard bite of martial law" was, in itself, controversial. But the reality is parts of Pittsburg were indeed under effective martial law and I have seen the footage of University students being targeted by the security forces while on their own campus.

From what I have seen, I would have to say very few people actually deserved the treament they received as, for the most part, they did not appear to be antagonising the police or military. I didn't see anything that could have been considered rioting.

If Larry's post was flagged because it was considered controversial then I guess any post that mentions Government control by Wall Street or insider trading or 'The Feds' vanishing trillions or Chris Dodd receiving special deals from Countrywide should also be flagged... YES?... NO?

Well aren't they controversial topics too?... AND  extremely relevant to this fundamental subject matter if this site?

As for Cloudfire's post concering her objection to the 'flagging' then being deleted.

http://www.peakprosperity.com/comment/52363#comment-52363

This, to me, was even more disturbing than the flagging itself.

"It is our policy to encourage all users to flag posts which they find objectionable, and it is not appropriate to rebuke the community for having flagged a post."

Answer me this... is it reasonable for the community to not know why a post was flagged especially if it was flagged by just one person and the rest of the community has not objected to the post? Especially if that post is then deleted or removed to the 'dungeon'?

Anyway here is my suggestion.

NOTE: The exception to this is if the post has clearly violated the rules then of course the moderators should take action irrespective whether the post was flagged or not.

If someone wishes to 'flag' a post they should be required to give a reason why and that reason should be included as part of the flagging for all registered users to see.

Up to this point the 'flagger' can remain anonymous.

Then the members should vote whether they deem the flagging resonable or not.

If it is decided the 'flagging' is justified  then the moderators can either delete, or remove the post to the CT thread.

If the flagging is deemed by the majority to be unreasonable then the flaggers indentity should be revealed.

Not in order to be chastised, but just to ensure that if you really believe you are justified to flag a post then don't hide because it doesn't give the poster a right of reply and it approaches a 'kangaroo court' kind of mentality.

Hopefully this should prevent a few from simple flagging a post just because it irks them, but doesn't actually break any of the rules.

I don't think there are enough flagged posts to cause too much work for anybody and this procedure, if anything, should ensure against frivolous flagging of posts and thus reduce the frequency of them.

rowmat

Moderator Jason's picture
Moderator Jason
Re: A suggestion for the moderators regarding flagging of ...

rowmat,

Thanks for your suggestion.  We'll consider it.   Although I cannot guarantee that it will be adopted, we'll keep it in mind as the necessary software becomes available for the site.

Best,
Jason, moderator

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

Hi, Rowmat;

Thanks for having the courage to speak up, and to propose a solution to an unhealthy situation.  You have rightly recognized that under the current policies, flagging has become a de facto anonymous argument that a subject does not have sufficient factual substance to warrant our full attention.  Sadly, the very fact that a post is flagged has the effect of suppressing posting by those who have a strong aversion to confrontation. 

From the nature of recent well substantiated news, the very freedoms that make us American are in critical peril . . . If ever we are going to get over this castrating fear of being politically incorrect, the time is now.  What is wrong with us, that we'll flood into the streets to defend our "right" to have sex with whomever, however, and whenever we please, but protesting the manhandling of young students going about their business does not move us to action and protest?  Can we not muster even the courage to voice an objection?  Are we to sacrifice our moral sensibilities on the altar of political correctness?  Does the Community take precedence over common decency and morality?  What will we tell our grandchildren about why we were unable to protect their posterity? . . . . That we didn't want to offend The Community? 

The subjugation of truth and morality to The Community [communism] has all of the hallmarks of Stalin's reign of terror . . . . Is that what we've come to? 

rowmat's picture
rowmat
Moderator Jason wrote:

rowmat,

Thanks for your suggestion.  We'll consider it.   Although I cannot guarantee that it will be adopted, we'll keep it in mind if and when the necessary software upgrades become available.

Best,
Jason, moderator

No worries Jason,

Just another thought.

If the 'flagging' of a post (that hasn't broken the official posting rules) is deemed by the community to be unreasonable then how about giving the 'flagger' a choice...

To either 'put their money where their mouth is' and 'step up to the plate' by allowing their identity to be revealed to 'the community'...

or if they decide that their objection may have been made in 'the heat of the moment' then give them the oppourtunity to voluntarily withdraw their objection (flag)

Cheers rowmat

P.S. I mean just imagine if one of the members of this site actually worked for Goldman Sachs, or 'The Fed' and started flagging every second post... I'm sure we'd all want to know that now... wouldn't we? Wink

Actually don't laugh, it wouldn't be the first time a forum had been 'infiltrated'.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

This discussion should not be over, simply because the suggestion which Rowmat has offered is not currently feasible, economically and/or electronically.  This situation is becoming a frequently repeating event that can only stifle truly open discussion of critically important issues, or drive such conversations to another venue  . . . Please, folks, if you care about these issues, let's continue the dialogue, and find a solution that works to simultaneously nurture the community and to foster truth and moral expression . . .

I was once accused of being insincere in my exhortations toward unity in this community . . . At the time, I strenuously believed that accusation was untrue.  But now, in light of current events, I now realize that the accusation is true . . . I do not put any "community" above truth or morality . . . To do so is against everything I believe, and against the principals on which this country was founded.  To put "community" above truth and morality is to revere communism . . . Is that "who we are"?

Edit:  typo

Edit:  Note -- This was composed and posted prior to seeing Rowmat's most recent post, immediately preceeding . . . which I would advocate as a viable plan . . .

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
rowmat wrote:
Moderator Jason wrote:

rowmat,

Thanks for your suggestion.  We'll consider it.   Although I cannot guarantee that it will be adopted, we'll keep it in mind if and when the necessary software upgrades become available.

Best,
Jason, moderator

No worries Jason,

Just another thought.

If the 'flagging' of a post (that hasn't broken the official posting rules) is deemed by the community to be unreasonable then how about giving the 'flagger' a choice...

To either 'put their money where their mouth is' and 'step up to the plate' by allowing their identity to be revealed to 'the community'...

or if they decide that their objection may have been made in 'the heat of the moment' then give them the oppourtunity to voluntarily withdraw their objection (flag)

Cheers rowmat

P.S. I mean just imagine if one of the members of this site actually worked for Goldman Sachs, or 'The Fed' and started flagging every second post... I'm sure we'd all want to know that now... wouldn't we? Wink

Actually don't laugh, it wouldn't be the first time a forum had been 'infiltrated'.

That sounds reasonable, to me . . . Let people have the courage of their convictions . . . Or keep their tongue . . .

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments