Study guide, suggestions for classroom use, open discussion ideas

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
joandoinjapan's picture
joandoinjapan
Study guide, suggestions for classroom use, open discussion ideas

I would like to use the Crash Course in my classroom and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for introducing the course, leading into the different units, follow-up questions, etc.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing your ideas.

ckessel's picture
ckessel
Re: Study guide, suggestions for classroom use, open ...

Joandoinjapan,

I created a powerpoint slide with definitions for the major words used in the course and I review them before starting.  Another key point is to thoroughly introduce Chris and his background and define neurotoxicology. Most have no clue what that is or why it is of value.

Also, I prepare participants that they may experience a variety of emotions and feel compelled to voice long held opinions and beliefs that  may run contrary to info in the CC. I make the statement that this is okay and ask for tolerance among all as regards the variety of opinions and beliefs which may be expressed. I also ask and encourage individual research to uncover facts which can support or reject data but that opinions and beliefs be prefaced as such.

Discussion following the video is very important to develop community and exchange ideas.

And watch out for the entrenched educated elite as they may have problems with your choice of classroom material!   I was going to offer the course at the local Junior College but suddenly the theatre was not available for "political commentary" as it was referred to.  Now of course not one person making that claim had even cracked open the first DVD!!!!   I wrote it off to "MCL"  (More Clueless Leadership) and not to worrry ----this message will not go away!!!

Best of luck and may your students thank your efforts!

Coop

joandoinjapan's picture
joandoinjapan
Re: Study guide, suggestions for classroom use, open ...

Thanks for that Coop.  I've ordered the presenter's package but it has yet to arrive and I'm giving the talk tomorrow to a bunch of university students in Japan.

Hope it goes well...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments