Student loan debt growing at a rate of $2,853 per second

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD
Student loan debt growing at a rate of $2,853 per second

The number grows to a rate of $90 billion annualized. This can also be considered a stimulus as this $90 billion goes towards faculty salaries, rents, utilities, cleaning companies, accounting firms, In addition, students typically borrow more than their tuition for living expenses such as rent, food, books, supplies, clothes, auto repair (I fixed my brakes with student loan money lol) and even vacations! I know quite a few of my fellow class mates who went on trips with the student loan money they were given. I hope they enjoyed those trips because the party is over for most of them.

Some more facts on the student loan debt timebomb:
Total student loan debt: $864 billion outstanding
Federal backed student loan debt: $665 billion
Private student loan debt: $168 billion

At the current rate total outstanding student loan debt will be $1.76 trillion by 2020. 90b X 10 years = 900 billion. Throw in compounding interest on deferred and loans in default and the number will easily break $2 trillion within the next decade. Im confident that this number will not be reached as the student loan debt binge party will come to an end. If it doesn't then we have bigger problems as we will have a generation of slaves stuck in nondischargeable debt, paying interest on bonds. I've mentioned this before that because the federal government owns the bonds that the proceeds will be distributed based on where the federal expenditures are due. Over $2 trillion of federal expenditures go towards offense (its not defense) spending, social security and medicare.

In the event that the student loan bubble continues and generations X, Y, and Z become debt slaves for life with no true opportunity to prosper, then the US will have a new export: economic refugees as more will be fleeing the country in pursuit of life, liberty and property. I am considering the ex-pat option myself. Today the gas station employee which I have smoked cigarettes with for over a decade told me he is leaving for Indonesia next year for good. Imagine that, Indonesia instead of America. Something unimaginable 10 years ago. He also added that over half of the people that came over since the early 1990's have either returned home or are in the process of leaving. My parents are on there way to moving back to Greece (peaceful west coast part, no riots lol).

Student loan debt growing at a $90 billion dollar annual rate will have terrible implications for the future of the country. If serious and true reform is not undertaken then this will leave a substantial portion of an entire generation indebted, enslaved, depressed and ruined. Either they will flee, pay back their loans with glee, or despair in their hardship and austerity.

http://www.finaid.org/loans/studentloandebtclock.phtml

bmcreider's picture
bmcreider
Re: Student loan debt growing at a rate of $2,853 per second

Student loan debt will cripple our young peers. I opted out of college before I knew of collapse or decline but my friends and acquaintances disagreed and gladly took on debt when necessary believing it to be an investment. They even admitted it was just a piece of paper but the social pressures and lack of autonomy made them all the more willing. Sad.

abinclane's picture
abinclane
About their credit card debt

It is too sad to think if most of our students will end in great debt. Hopefully the government and some sort of organizations can help them with their credit card debt. If a student do finds a lending company that can help them with their education and give them a low interest rate on their payment, then the better.

Poet's picture
Poet
How Long To Pay Off $50,000? Or $100,000?

Fee free to pass this on.

Student loans are currently going for between 4% and 9%, depending on your credit, etc.

Say a student borrows $50,000 over the course of their college life.

After college:
At 4%, it takes over 10 years to pay off at $500 per month.
At 9%, it takes over 15 years to pay off at $500 per month.

If the same student borrowed $100,000...
At 4%, it takes over 10 years to pay off at $1000/month, or more than 20 years at $606/month.
At 9%, it takes over 15 years to pay off at $1000/month, or more than 30 years at $800/month.

You want to live on your own, drive a (used) car, pay for gas and insurance, go out with your friends, get married, start a family, save for a house, etc.? Better find a good job or you're living with your parents for the first 10 to 15 years of your life after college.

How Worrisome Is Student Debt?
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/15/how-worrisome-is-student-debt/

Poet

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments