Stock Market During Hyperinflation

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dorky's picture
Dorky
Stock Market During Hyperinflation

Real estate during hyperinflation is widely discussed.

But what about the stock market, in general as well as specific corporations, during hyperinflation?

Can we say all listed corporations will go up along with hyperinflation?

Or only corporations in specific industries?

How will the fundamentals work out in each industry?

ao's picture
ao
Dorky wrote: Real estate
Dorky wrote:

But what about the stock market, in general as well as specific corporations, during hyperinflation?

During the Weimar Republic hyperinflation, the German stock market went up thousands of percent while gold went up billions of percent.  In other words, stock holders got slaughtered.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Dorky wrote: Real estate
Dorky wrote:

What are fundamentals besides a product marketed to the masses by the investing and financial management industry?

Fundamentals don't matter.  Price movement matters.  Up or down.  That's why a market neutral approach to trading and investing is critical.

Trade in the the direction of the general market, with event awareness, on price moves that match historical expectations - not concerning yourself with an up or down day.  Take a chunk of the move the market gives you instead of staying around hoping for what you want. 

Ahh, what do I know............

Dorky's picture
Dorky
ao wrote: During the Weimar
ao wrote:

During the Weimar Republic hyperinflation, the German stock market went up thousands of percent while gold went up billions of percent.  In other words, stock holders got slaughtered.

Are you sure the stock market gone up just thousands of percentage and not some billions of times over?

ao's picture
ao
Dorky wrote: ao
Dorky wrote:
ao wrote:

Are you sure the stock market gone up just thousands of percentage and not some billions of times over?

I can't recall the exact source of where I read that.  It may or may not have been the article in der Spiegel about the WR hyperinflation.  But from the experiences of relatives in Germany, stock ownership was not the way to go.  I would look into modern hyperinflationary events (of which there have been about 20, if I'm not mistaken, since 1980) and see what you find.  Good searching.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments