Still Report: Iceland

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv
Still Report: Iceland

Some interesting points (paraphrased):

• Iceland privatized the savings banks and the Landsbankinn, which was effectively the Bank of Iceland (Central Bank) as well
  • For the first few years, things looked good, the economy doubled but under the surface the private bankers were creating a huge bubble
  • They opened a new offshore Internet bank called Icesave targeting new depositors from the U.K. and Holland by offering attractive interest rates for new depositors
  • Hundreds of thousands of new accounts were opened, entire towns and police department pension funds put their money into Icesave
  • Using fractional reserve lending, Icesave fanned that into billions for questionable new loans
  • Icesave started investing in European ventures, especially in Russia - many now believe that Icesave actually became a money laundering operation for the Russian Mafia
  • All the while, trading on the good reputation of solid banking Iceland had built up over the previous decades
  • The Icesave accounts were not in Iceland and were never incurred by the Icelandic Government so they were not bailed out
  • In the face of tremendous political pressure at home, the British and Dutch governments bailed out the Icesave accounts of their citizens and then tried to make Iceland pay for it
  • Today Iceland is the new battle ground as it attempts to become the first nation in modern times to escape the serfdom of the debt money system - if Iceland escapes, the rest of the world will be watching

Go Iceland!!!!

Larry

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun
Re: Still Report: Iceland

Awesome Larry!  Every man, woman and child should be praying for Iceland's independence!  Isn't it amazing that the only thing you hear about this in MSM is Iceland's failure to pay back the loans, and not WHY this is taking place?  That in itself should raise the eyebrows of the non believers.

John99's picture
John99

Larry, You know Iceland is very close to my heart! In fact have just returned from a sailing trip with good friend, Sigurjon Jonnson. Siggi, as I call him, has just completed a life-long dream. He has completed a 55 foot modern day Viking Ship, based on the original viking ship designs over 1000 years old.

I flew there for the launching of this magnificent ship just before the financial collapse of Iceland.

Icelanders and what they are doing with voting out corrupt politicians, filing criminal charges against corrupt bankers, and a recent lawsuit against Deutsche Bank for fraud, give hope to the entire world.

Meanwhile here are some pics of Siggi's boat from his site: http://www.langskip.com

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

OMG John!  What an absolutely fantastic boat!  Thanks for sharing!

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

WHOA....what a beautiful ship!     

Bet you really enjoyed seeing her firsthand.  Are you still living on a boat?  Don't forget, you invited LogansRun and me to "come aboard" your ship for a visit...we're still waiting for you to come pick us up.  Atlantic or Pacific?  Cool

Seems like a lot of people are becoming interested in the Iceland story though it is very hard to come upon reliable information.  The MSM has blacked out much of the story.

Birgitta Jónsdóttir

The Still Report Video shows an interview with Birgitta Jónsdóttir; Member of the Icelandic Parliament.  She has been an international  champion in the fight for freedom and a political leader in both the move to break away from the international debt based private banking system and in restoring a free press.

Member of the Icelandic Parliament for the Movement. Party Group Chair Person. Member of the following parliamentarian committees: Foreign Affairs committee, Environmental committee, EU application committee, Truth commission committee, Nato committee.

LONDON — Iceland's parliament voted Thursday to create what supporters hope will be the world's strongest protections for free speech and journalism, passing measures intended to make this Nordic nation a safe haven for investigative reporting.

The legislation — passed unanimously with only a single abstention — requires the government to draft regulations changing Icelandic law to strengthen journalistic source protection and shield reporters from foreign libel judgments. While the measures were mainly aimed at improving the nation's own transparency, Iceland hopes to lure Internet-based media and data centers that would use the country as a base of global free speech.

"This is changing the way the world sees us," said lawmaker Brigitte Jonsdottir, who said that strengthening free speech laws would restore credibility to a nation mired in an economic crisis linked to bad debt and murky deals.

Benton said the idea that Iceland could somehow shield writers and journalists from libel judgments elsewhere "strikes me as a bit of a harder sell."  Nevertheless, he said he could envisage a situation in which some media organizations move their Internet servers to Iceland to prevent them from being searched or seized. And in general, he said the push was admirable one.

"In so many places these sorts of regulations are driven by powerful players," he said. "It's a good thing that in this case the driving force is something that seems a bit more idealistic. Whether it will be effective or not we'll see."

She's also the spokesperson for Wikileaks founder Julian Assange who is currently being sought by the Pentagon.  “I think Assange would do well to keep his whereabouts unknown”  Daniel Ellsberg speaking about Julian Assange

Don't know if you saw it but earlier this week, Alex Jones interviewed her.  He does a lousy job in sensationalizing, badgering and interrupting her constantly.  She's inspiring and refreshing to hear; but he's not, still, the interview is worthwhile.  The first minute or two of her phone connection is almost inaudible, then it gets a bit better.

!

Larry

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

Maybe before the next Bilderberg meeting?  I'll make myself available!  Would kind of suck if they decided to have it in Nepal or something though.lol

I watched that interview on Infowars and as you said, she's an excellent representative for their movement!  How anyone could come away after listening to her and not have a feeling of "she's right", I don't know.  AJones drives me nuts though.  Could you imagine what type of kid he was?  Probably ate glue constantly.Tongue out

John99's picture
John99

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the Alex Jones Birgitta Jonsdottir interview - had not seen it. I have corresponded with Birgitta, and am so impressed with everything she has done. She is a poet and artist who just got angry with what was happening to her country, and so ran for parliment and got elected- great story.

She is now looking for any material on how the IMF enslaves countries. I have seen some good things on this but can't remember where so if you have any links or suggestions, I will forward them on to her.

Reference the 'beer on board' invitation for you and LR, it still stands - the pick-up is the shaky point :-)

And on Siggi's viking ship, I hope to be cruising with him on board, later this year when he sails it to Norway, the ancestral home of the vikings and their famous 'langskips'.

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Bill Still is going to be on Alex Jones show, this afternoon July 2, @ 2 pm Central.  He was one of the people who traveled to Iceland and spoke with Birgitta Jónsdóttir, and no doubt others, about monetary reform.  Very encouraging.

Larry   

SteveW's picture
SteveW
John99 wrote:

She is now looking for any material on how the IMF enslaves countries. I have seen some good things on this but can't remember where so if you have any links or suggestions, I will forward them on to her.

John,

If you correspond with Birgitta you should let her know that Naomi Klein's "Shock Doctrine" is the definitive work in this area. It details the predatory economics of Milton Friedman and the Chicago school and the role of the IMF in bringing austerity and privatisation of public assets. The work is of academic rigor with practically everything she says being referenced. I found it heavy going, swallowing only so much at a sitting.

http://www.naomiklein.org/main

John99's picture
John99

Thanks SteveW, will pass it on.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments