Steve Keen - Discusses Global Financial Crisis at Evatt Foundation forum

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
maveri's picture
maveri
Steve Keen - Discusses Global Financial Crisis at Evatt Foundation forum

http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/common/player_launch.pl?s=rn/bigideas&d=rn...

I have not searched around for an mp3 downloadable version of this discussion (sorry).

The above link will take you to a page where you can select either to listen with real player or windows media player.

Speakers were Bernie Fraser, ex-Governor of the Reserve Bank of
Australia, myself, and Garry Weiss, a corporate lawyer (this is also
the speaking order).

Bernie is a very dry speaker in my opinion.

Steve's discussion starts at 19:14 or thereabouts (about a 1/3 of the way along the slider bar)

I have not yet listened to what Gary Weiss says as yet.

Steve is quite certain that the current economic policy makers have no idea of what we are in yet alone how we are going to get out of it.

He believes that had Hymen Minsky's ideas been followed we would not be in this mess today. Steve's view is also that this financial crisis will be a very long one indeed. We points to economics going off the rails after WWII.

Anyhow - I'll leave the rest for you to gather from your own listening and please post an update should you find a downloadable mp3 version.

:-)

strabes's picture
strabes
Re: Steve Keen - Discusses Global Financial Crisis at Evatt ...

Keen is brilliant.  I recommend reading up on his view of debt and how we're in deflation for a long time...and read Irving Fisher's debt theory, the foundation Keen starts with.

It's clear on this audio that Fraser is a bureaucrat...the type of person running any central bank...fairly clueless compared to Keen.

Weiss is great too. 

maveri's picture
maveri

ok - good news.

I found the link to the downloadable file

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/bigideas/stories/2009/2524842.htm

maveri's picture
maveri
strabes wrote:

Keen is brilliant.  I recommend reading up on his view of debt and how we're in deflation for a long time...and read Irving Fisher's debt theory, the foundation Keen starts with.

It's clear on this audio that Fraser is a bureaucrat...the type of person running any central bank...fairly clueless compared to Keen.

Weiss is great too. 

I'm a newbie at economics so the first time I read a work of Steve Keen (about a month ago) I nearly fell off my chair! Talk about over my head.

I'll look up those references you mentioned - thanks for that.

I look forward to hearing Weiss as well then - never heard of him at all but if your giving his a good rap then that's good enough for me.

strabes's picture
strabes

Weiss doesn't really teach anything more about economics, but he has a Jim Rogers-esque gut feel for the situation we're in that I appreciate. 

Yeah that would be a bit heavy to read Keen on your first foray into econ.  :)

Crash's picture
Crash

I haven't read enough of Keen to know that I agree with everything he says, I presume we will differ though at some point.

However,  his 'Debunking Economics' is essential reading for anyone thinking of doing a degree (or masters or any course really) in economics: 

http://www.debunking-economics.com

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments