Standard of Living

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
jneo's picture
jneo
Standard of Living

The standard of living in this country is in decline mode, with not hope in site.  China is making everything and our Oil is also shipped in.  Seems like Opec and China have us by the _________.

I constantly hear that we need 3rd world countries and such to make cheep goods so we can afford them.  I have a problem with that.  

What if this country was still on a Gold Standard, only had a consumption tax, and Produced again?  All would promote small government and low to no inflation.  

If U.S. products are of better quality and last longer than if it were made in china, why not move in that direction?  The argument is that Domestic goods cost more, but if the factors listed above (gold standard, consumption tax) were implemented, would it not make more sense to produce domestic goods?  

Having said that ......wouldn't that standard of living be higher in this country as opposed to having china make everything?

"A country that doesn't make anything can't buy anything" - Ross Perot

SteveR's picture
SteveR
Re: Standard of Living

Our leaders are corrupt - they have no interest in doing anything that would help our country, unless it somehow benefitted themselves as well.  Sad but true.

JAG's picture
JAG

I think in the future, an individual's standard of living will be more dependent on his/her's well-rounded skill set, than personal money supply. Though it can seem overwhelming at times, I look forward to learning new skills and becoming progressively more self-reliant. So far, the process has been very rewarding and empowering. I have learned more in the last year than I have my entire life.

China can keep their crap for all I care...I don't do Walmart. I know many people here think China is the new superpower, I couldn't disagree more. 

Hugh Hendry explains why in this clip:

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

JK121 , 

I really think  it would work to have a 10% consumption tax .

jneo's picture
jneo

Yeah I was thinking 10-15% Consumption tax.  Our current Tax system is Anti-American, it's kills incentive, kills freedom, and kills the family.  Time to vote out the Status Quo Anti-American Politicians.  To me they are the Biggest TERRORISTS!!! and the people at the FED.  

Sarah Palin - Crap

John McCain - Crap

Mitt Romney - Crap

Rudy G - Major Crap

Obama - Crap and a Big Mistake

Hillary Clinton - Crap

The list goes on and on......

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
JAG wrote:

I think in the future, an individual's standard of living will be more dependent on his/her's well-rounded skill set, than personal money supply. Though it can seem overwhelming at times, I look forward to learning new skills and becoming progressively more self-reliant. So far, the process has been very rewarding and empowering. I have learned more in the last year than I have my entire life.

China can keep their crap for all I care...I don't do Walmart. I know many people here think China is the new superpower, I couldn't disagree more. 

Second that.  I think China will soon have enough troubles of its own.  Our focus should be on how the heck can we re-start our moribund nation?  From jobs to actual (real, thoughtful) citizenship to stewardship of our resources.  IMO that's the way out.

Viva -- Sager

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

Like I kept saying when I decided to drop off the grid and everyone asked what I was going to do for money... "If you produce (most) everything you need yourself, what do you need money for?"

I think that's a concept that's really hard for people to grasp anymore. Why have someone else raise your kids so both parents can work, when one parent can stay home to tend the garden and some livestock and "earn" enough to feed the family while actually still being there for the kids?

Why buy cheap China-mart crap that you're just going to have to replace in a few weeks because it's crap... either save up to buy something of value and quality (it only costs a little more) or learn how to make it yourself (it only takes some time).

Why sell your soul and the precious hours of your life working a wage job just to buy cheap crap that you won't enjoy anyway? The key to improving our standard of living is to live with less, but with higher quality!

jneo's picture
jneo

Well said PlicketyCat.  Less is More.  

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
JAG wrote:

Hugh Hendry explains why in this clip:

+1

or, in our exponential world +1(exp(GDP))

deggleton's picture
deggleton
PlicketyCat wrote:

Why sell your soul and the precious hours of your life working a wage job just to buy cheap crap that you won't enjoy anyway? The key to improving our standard of living is to live with less, but with higher quality!

We must replace standard of living with quality of life.

SOL is a dazzling, ever-moving yet ultimately uniform distraction imposed by the power-obsessed, a dead end figuratively and literally.  It works for them because they can manage and measure it with minimal regard for our experiences.  It's neat, we're messy.

QOL fully recognizes and honors the variety and multidimensionality of human beings and works by inspiration:  leaders (any of us!) go for QOL and others follow, finally seeing either the poverty or the unsustainability of SOL.

Stuff isn't what we came for!  Let's make it apparent, each in his/her own way.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments