Spheres of Responsibility

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
ltlredwagon's picture
ltlredwagon
Spheres of Responsibility

The interview with Catherine Austin Fitts and the comments which followed have me thinking about spheres of responsibility. 

I like the bus/cliff analogy which SagerXX and others have used.  Sager’s bus has gone through a “Bridge Out Ahead” sign towards an unknown breach (underpass? river? deep canyon?).  Some posters recommended that passengers prepare for the crash, while others said no, you gotta stop the bus.  Depends, of course.  We can all think of scenarios where preparing for a crash without at least trying to control or stop the bus would be insane.

I think it’s useful to look at spheres of responsibility. Preparing self and others for the crash is in one sphere.  Controlling and stopping the bus before it leaps into the void is in a larger sphere.   I’d say one ignores that larger sphere at one’s peril, no matter the difficulty of accomplishing control.

In the real world I have spheres of responsibility:  myself, my family, my business, my community, my state, the nation, and the world.  In my opinion, the CM group is a phenomenal “prepare for the crash” organization, addressing primarily the narrower spheres, although also researching and publishing information crucial to understanding the wider zones.  What they do is done so well I’m not sure I’d want it changed.  A few other groups, with seemingly far fewer participants, are addressing the wider spheres, seeking to gain control of the “bus”  by addressing the problems of the Fed, fractional reserve banking, debt-based money, international monetary policy, etc.

In seeking to gain control of the bus one would need to first notice the bus “behaving” in ways harmful to the survival of the passengers.   Next, one would need to investigate this to determine how to gain control.  Counterproductive would be failing to notice, or failing to investigate, investigating superficially, failing to LOOK, and sitting in the back of the bus stirring up and overwhelming passengers with conspiracy theories:  armed jihadists? (that girl was speaking Arabic!); road workers union trying to make a statement? (he’s wearing an AFL-CIO T-shirt!)

Even more damaging is painting (or allowing others to paint) those who ARE trying to look, who are trying to DO something, with the brush of “Conspiracy Theorist”, and tossing their hard won information (and, though incomplete, it must be real information, not speculation derived from tortured analysis of scant data) into the “CT” bin, curiosities to be pulled out and mulled over from time to time, or ridiculed with a self-satisfied chuckle.  These people, often among the more courageous, have undertaken the extremely difficult task of investigating powerful individuals and groups.  These individuals and groups often go to enormous lengths to ensure that they and their activities are neither noticed nor investigated and have the wherewithal to do so. Some groups (such as Congress - insert emoticon of your choice here) may not be "conspiring" particularly at all, just part of ordinary human ignorance, degradation and corruption. Failing to differentiate committed investigators from Conspiracy Theorists is detrimental to all.

But even if investigating and finding the WHOs and the WHYs is difficult, one can notice WHAT is happening, see that it is wrong and try to correct it.   Failing to do this, no matter the difficulty or the danger, is suicidal, if not in the short run (decades), inevitably in the long run (centuries or millennia).   Applying the “wait out the bad weather” theory of geo-politics (Saddam was a bad storm, Mao was a catastrophic typhoon) is a sure road to eventual ruin.

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Re: Spheres of Responsibility

Ltlredwagon

As I see it, the people driving the bus are delusional, they are firmly entrenched at the wheel, and they are surrounded by a dense pack of squabbling people who are mostly delusional too.  Changing that situation by joining the pack would take a very long time.  I doubt it is even  possible.

The cliff is fast approaching.  To me it makes more sense to jump off the bus by establishing a safer position.  Even that may require more time than we have left.  Sager has demonstrated how long community building takes.  After you become well prepared, then it makes sense to widen your focus. 

At this point being realistic is critical.  My primary sphere of responsibility is clear.  I understand your point, but I think we have run out of time for noble intentions.

Travlin 

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

Here's the problem. 

YOU CAN'T JUMP OFF THE BUS!!!! 

The only way to stop the bus, is to take out the bus driver/s.  (Remember:  YOU CANNOT JUMP!)

It's that simple.

You cannot make arraingments for your family, friends, country, etc...without understanding the powers behind the problem. 

This is the main issue that I have with CM's thoughts/solutions/etc.....  He's not taking the REAL power behind the curtain into the equation.  And the sad part about all of this is:  EVERY BIT OF REALITY is in their own writing/words/interviews/etc....  It's all there. 

Ugh.

trwiley's picture
trwiley

Ltlredwagon,

Great points, which relate well to what I've been thinking about a lot lately, and also to this interesting (rather long) blog I came across about the need for a larger sphere of responsibility.

I personally want to try and prevent the global collapse for the sake of my children and everybody everywhere. And actually if I were more interested in my own selfish protection, than I would recognize that what affects the world, in other words global problems (climate change, food prices, peak oil, economy) also affect my individual safety...especially if people are resorting to rioting, looting, terrorism, etc..

It goes beyond "noble intentions". Realizing that our global problems affect each of us...that we are all "on the bus", and that the bus is our world, and that there's no way to jump OFF the bus, is what will help us take on a big enough "sphere of responsibility" to actually solve our problems. Even if jumping off the bus were an option, it's not a responsible choice, for our children and grandchildren.

M.E.'s picture
M.E.

What if we could get everyone to jump off? It's just as far fetched as trying to stop it but both are possible, even remotely. If everyone jumps off, who cares if it crashes.

I understand that LR is frustrated and I appreciate that because he knows stuff but can't get others to believe it. At the same time, I don't understand how knowing that stuff would affect or change what I'm trying to do. Feel free to PM me or send some reading material so I don't hijack this thread.

ltlredwagon's picture
ltlredwagon

M.E., help me out here.  Regarding “jumping off”, break that down for me in real world terms.

Travlin, we agree on a lot.  Noble intentions alone get little done.  Change will take a very long time.  It may not be possible.  The cliff is fast approaching. 

I wish you well on your preparations.  I’m working on mine - not done by a long shot.  I’ve learned that some actions forward many spheres of responsibility:  getting out of debt, finding more responsible local banking, cutting up the credit cards, supporting local businesses, etc.

You say prepare, then widen your focus.   What's the relationship between those two steps in your mind?

Travlin's picture
Travlin

Logan, Trwiley, Ltlredwagon

If I was literally on a bus that couldn’t be stopped I would jump off.  I’m fully aware that I cannot actually get off the bus in our circumstances, but I can try to figuratively, by distancing my family from the worst effects.  I am very aware that global problems effect us all and cannot be escaped.  I would like to leave a better world for my children.  However, systemic change on the scale we need would take many decades if it is even possible – and we don’t have decades.  Do you really think you can stop this bus?  How?  And how soon? 

The current historical trends are immensely strong, as Chris explains in the Crash Course.  Many are the results of fundamental human traits, practices, and culture that have been building for centuries.  Even the most powerful people and institutions are just reacting to these forces.  They are influencing but not controlling them.  When you are standing on a beach and the water rapidly retreats out to sea, you better run for high ground because the tsunami is coming.

Each of us has limited time, money, and energy.  Working and raising a family, leaves little enough for preparations.  Does it make sense to dedicate your resources to political action that is extremely unlikely to be successful, and certainly not soon enough?  Or does it make more sense to do your best to prepare for your family and form bonds with others locally?  Hard times make for hard decisions.

By your example and your word you can spread awareness as you go. As you personally get better prepared, and have more time, you can reach into the other spheres as you please. If you can awaken others that is good.  But keep your priorities straight because time is not a given.

Travlin 

ao's picture
ao

Here's the difficulty as I see it.

First of all, forget about the bus analogy and consider the following:

We make all our preparations.  Let's look at the most perfect scenario.  We live in a completely energy independent, well insulated, well designed house off the grid.  We remove our dependency upon outside energy through a combination of wind, solar, geothermal, and wood heat.  We have our own well (and for the sake of our ideal scenario, we assume the water can't be contaminated).  We remove our dependency upon outside water sources.  We have a large garden (or farm if you will), greenhouses (for cold weather food production), a fish pond (for fish and waterfowl and to attract other game), fields and forest on our property (for plentiful wild game and wood as a back-up to our geothermal and passive solar heat), food animals (including chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, rabbits, pigs, sheep, goats, and cows), and work animals (including a few horses, some guard dogs for livestock and human protection, and cats for rodent control).  We remove our food dependency.  We have vehicles that are electric as well as bio-fueled as we use mopeds, bicycles, or foot transportation as much as possible.  We remove our dependency on liquid fuels for transportation.  We establish good relationships with our neighbors and in our community.  We develop a local economy exchanging goods and services and providing for common protection, safety, and health.  We don't have to worry about wandering, marauding individuals or gangs of private citizens intent on taking what is ours.  We reduce or eliminate our dependency on the financial, insurance, and health care kleptocracies.  We home school our children.  We remove the establishment and cultural brainwashing of our children.  And so on.

The question is who can still tax you, regulate you, legislatively control you, etc., with force, if necessary, for their own selfish purposes?  Who can pass laws to confiscate your wealth and property and further restrict your rights and freedom, slowly over time or in one fell swoop, for one reason or another, with the full sanction of their law?

In short, the same people who were the primary cause of the problems in the first place are still in control and still able to adversely affect every aspect of your existence.

If they're not removed, ultimately, the most important problems remain and the downhill slide of life and liberty continues unabated.

Poet's picture
Poet
Circles Of Control, Influence, and Concern

In one of our classes that I took at the company I work at, we were told to draw concentric circles:

The innermost circle is the Circle of Control.
That's us. We can control our own actions and act and react as we wish.

The intermediate circle is the Circle of Influence.
That's those around us whom we can influence through our relationships. We can influence friends and family, neighbors and co-workers. Going further out to tenuous relationships and the whole market, our influence diminishes.

The outside circle is the Circle of Concern.
We may be concerned about something, but we really have no control or influence over what happens. You and a few friends cannot stop major corporations from building a bunch of factories on the other side of the world.

(Nota Bene: Granted, the concepts shared were to tell us that we couldn't really ask for a raise, we could only influence our work environment to make it a more pleasant place to work, but they are still valid concepts. You work with what you have.)

So: What can we directly control? What can we directly influence? Is there enough time and can we get enough control or influence going? Personally, trying to stop climate change or the onset of peak oil or the catabolic collapse of the United States is like spitting into a hurricane. I have a family to support. I can only do what I can to prepare myself and influence my friends and family and a few of my neighbors and co-workers.

I may be extremely concerned that the bus is going over the cliff, but there is a driver firmly in control and many near the front to guard him. There likely isn't enough time to even study what's going on and determine the appropriate actions to take to save the entire bus. Assuming I had the control and/or shared the influence, even attempting to wrest the driver from the wheels may well lead me to being injured or in a worse position - or slam us all into a wall long before we hurl over the cliff.

But I can do some things about where I am sitting, how I am positioned, and help a few around me.

Poet

Travlin's picture
Travlin

Hi Ao

You are absolutely right.  I see this as one of our biggest dangers, given the trends of the last few years.  Check my signature line.  You can use force against gangs and raiders if you have too, but self defense against government officials is suicidal, because they’ll just come back with overwhelming force to make an example of you.  In theory, if things severely degrade, central government control will decline a lot.  Authority will shift to local government which should be more responsible and responsive.  We hope.

I can’t see myself leaving the USA.  Other governments don’t inspire confidence either.  At least here I know my environment and can make good assessments.  How do you suggest dealing with this issue? 

Travlin 

xraymike79's picture
xraymike79

First we have to accept the fact that humans have acted like any other species which, when finding an energy source favorable to its growth and seeming well-being, will exploit it to the maximum. Fossil fuels, specifically oil, have given us the illusion that we are above and beyond the ravages of the natural world and the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Our modern industrial civilization is replete with everything from farmed fish shipped from New Zealand on massive tankers to electronic gadgets like ipods made from rare-earth minerals excavated with diesel-driven machinery. For a dose of reality, read people like Richard Heinberg or Gail Tverberg or George Mobus. 

So after absorbing that reality and comparing it to what is going on today with the infinte growth paradigm still completely bolted to the economic steering wheel of the world, is there any question that you should not be doing something to distance yourself from the wreckless driver? While preparing as much as possible within your own immediate circle of family and friends, I believe there is no question that each individual should be contributing towards changing the dysfunctional system around us, in however small a way. That could include such things as having discussions with your neighbors about the three E's or posting your thoughts on a blog or joining an activist group. When masses of people do these small things, they add up and can instigate society-altering events like in Egypt or any other Revolution in history. When you stop waiting for life to open up a really grand vista, you discover that it's full of small opportunities for quiet heroism--one or more of which may open up a grand vista for you, after all.

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

AO,

You're very right!  That's very much my point.  You can run as far as you want, but you're still going to have to go against the "power" structure eventually.  Why not do it when you have MANY more people than what the plan indicates?  

I've set my family and some friends up to survive the initial "explosion".  After that, there is no survival.  At first upon purchasing my "compound" and setting it up I thought "we're going to SURVIVE!"  In other words....jump from the bus.  But after $14m dollars, massive amounts of time, energy, etc...it's still only temporary.  I've come to understand this.  Now, my children, wife and other persons that have been designated to protect, keep safe the community, will still be in a very good position to survive the initial shocks.  But others of us that were planning on moving into the compound, are now taking the stance that:  We need to fight these SOB's.  However we can.  Not through violence (unless they start it first).  But when it does start, be beacons for others to go against the bstrds.   

Your sphere of influence, will always be the one you CHOOSE to influence.  

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson

"the u.s.a. is in the awkward position of being too far gone tochange from within,but not far enough to shoot the bastards who got it here."

don't remember where i read/heard the quote but it seems a summary of this thread.

ao's picture
ao
Travlin wrote:

Hi Ao

You are absolutely right.  I see this as one of our biggest dangers, given the trends of the last few years.  Check my signature line.  You can use force against gangs and raiders if you have too, but self defense against government officials is suicidal, because they’ll just come back with overwhelming force to make an example of you.  In theory, if things severely degrade, central government control will decline a lot.  Authority will shift to local government which should be more responsible and responsive.  We hope.

I can’t see myself leaving the USA.  Other governments don’t inspire confidence either.  At least here I know my environment and can make good assessments.  How do you suggest dealing with this issue? 

Travlin 

Travlin,

I always appreciate your very level headed, thoughtful, kind, and considerate approach to issues.  What I think we have to consider is that WE are the government.  Government is established and empowered by us, the citizens.  When elements of it have gone awry from what is good for the citizens and the nation and from what is good, period, those elements need to be held accountable and brought back on track or removed.  The agents of force that would oppose the citizens (i.e. the police and military) need to be made to understood that if they want to save this nation (or this world for that matter), they have to consider that they too are citizens and by acting to oppress others, they are ultimately oppressing themselves and their families and their future descendants.

Truthfully, if things degrade, I think central government will become stronger, not weaker.  They may have less power to improve conditions for their citizens but they will counter this impotence by tightening the screws of oppression even tighter.  But like you, I have no plans for leaving the U.S.  The issue must be dealt with and there will eventually be no safe haven anywhere.

What is occurring certainly involves the 3Es and understanding the 3Es is important but in the final analysis, problems with the economy, energy, and the environment are SYMPTOMS, not the DISEASE.  The disease is spiritual in nature.  When governments, organizations (such as corporations) and individuals act out of greed and selfishness (beyond reasonable self interest) and impose poverty and injustice on others, that is a spiritual problem.  Likewise, the solution is ultimately spiritual in nature (but certainly not limited to only the spiritual). 

I'm reminded of the biblical verse:

“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”

I think fasting and prayers for guidance, forgiveness, and repentance, and subsequent actions in accordance with these prayers are a start.   What to do next will follow from that.  

ao's picture
ao
LogansRun wrote:

AO,

You're very right!  That's very much my point.  You can run as far as you want, but you're still going to have to go against the "power" structure eventually.  Why not do it when you have MANY more people than what the plan indicates?  

I've set my family and some friends up to survive the initial "explosion".  After that, there is no survival.  At first upon purchasing my "compound" and setting it up I thought "we're going to SURVIVE!"  In other words....jump from the bus.  But after $14m dollars, massive amounts of time, energy, etc...it's still only temporary.  I've come to understand this.  Now, my children, wife and other persons that have been designated to protect, keep safe the community, will still be in a very good position to survive the initial shocks.  But others of us that were planning on moving into the compound, are now taking the stance that:  We need to fight these SOB's.  However we can.  Not through violence (unless they start it first).  But when it does start, be beacons for others to go against the bstrds.   

LR,

I heard you loud and clear and agree.  Hopefully, my post reinforced what you said.

P.S.  This is completely off subject but I've always admired your Siberian husky avatar.  Is the dog yours and by any chance, is it from a bloodline that would include a dog named Rasputin that was a show winner over 35 years ago? 

Travlin's picture
Travlin
robie robinson wrote:

"the u.s.a. is in the awkward position of being too far gone tochange from within,but not far enough to shoot the bastards who got it here."

don't remember where i read/heard the quote but it seems a summary of this thread.

Robie

You remember the message very well.  Here is the quote.  It’s one of my favorites.

“America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.”

Claire Wolfe – From her book 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution

Travlin

Travlin's picture
Travlin

Ao

Thanks for the kind words Ao.  I see my disguise is holding up well.  I write more than I talk these days because of all the scar tissue I’ve acquired from biting my tongue! Wink You are one of the posters that make this an exceptional site for good dialogue, and I just try to live up to that standard.

You made many good points in your thoughts on government.  And I agree that more oppression is likely, as long as the capacity is there. 

ao wrote:

What is occurring certainly involves the 3Es and understanding the 3Es is important but in the final analysis, problems with the economy, energy, and the environment are SYMPTOMS, not the DISEASE.  The disease is spiritual in nature.  When governments, organizations (such as corporations) and individuals act out of greed and selfishness (beyond reasonable self interest) and impose poverty and injustice on others, that is a spiritual problem.  Likewise, the solution is ultimately spiritual in nature (but certainly not limited to only the spiritual). 

This is the heart of the matter alright.  I’ve seen this trend worsen over the decades.  Public leaders in all arenas used to be more likely to acknowledge the long-term public good and act accordingly.  As a nation we seem to have become addicts to greed and it has taken control and become all consuming.  I think that like most addicts, we are going to have to crash and hit bottom before we change our ways.

Travlin 

ltlredwagon's picture
ltlredwagon

Recommended reading:  Anatomy of a Miracle:  The End of Apartheid and the Birth of the New South Africa by Patti Waldmeir.

Ideas with broad acceptance can transform a society with surprising rapidity. 

We have "economic apartheid" in this country and elsewhere, but people don't even know they're enslaved. That idea does not exist in their minds.   Most fundamentally, they don't understand their own money that they use every single day of their lives - debt-based money, and fractional reserve banking.  As Henry Ford stated:  "It is well that the people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."  While there seem to be many popular efforts to encourage backyard gardening (which I support), I'm not finding many viral videos on youtube which simply educate people on our monetary system. 

I've gone a bit off my own thread in suggesting a possible step forward.  Maybe this discussion is simply on whether one should only prepare for going over the cliff, or make some effort, if not to prevent the crash, to try to control the bus in whatever way possible to lessen the damage and get the bus back on the road headed in the opposite direction.  

"...too far gone to change from within"?   Well, not true for me.  Sounds like weak philosophy in service of resignation.

aarondenal's picture
aarondenal
ao wrote:

I'm reminded of the biblical verse:

“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”

I think fasting and prayers for guidance, forgiveness, and repentance, and subsequent actions in accordance with these prayers are a start.   What to do next will follow from that.  

Thanks AO,

You bring up a point I love to hear.  The external prep work is certainly important to the extent that one can do it.  But I am becomming more convinced that the most important preparation one can do is the internal prep work.  Finding the source of our strength as individuals and continuing to reconnect to that source is one way to put it.  But remaining humble and open and kind to one another will prove to be the most difficult task of all during a true crisis.  It may prove to be one of the ultimate tests of our resilience.

MarkM's picture
MarkM

From a Karen Kwiatkowski essay "Egypt" over on Lew Rockwell:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/kwiatkowski/kwiatkowski262.html

Instead of what is discussed within the stale and frightened halls of our own stultified government, Americans ought to reflect on the words of Saint Augustine, a man quite familiar with the Mediterranean and North Africa, as well as extreme state thuggery: "An unjust law is no law at all." De La Boétie observed that to reject unjust laws and the unjust state that enforces them, a people need not be exceptionally courageous, but rather to simply withdraw their consent. He wrote, over four centuries ago,

…there is no need of fighting to overcome this single tyrant, for he is automatically defeated if the country refuses consent to its own enslavement: it is not necessary to deprive him of anything, but simply to give him nothing; there is no need that the country make an effort to do anything for itself provided it does nothing against itself. It is therefore the inhabitants themselves who permit, or, rather, bring about, their own subjection, since by ceasing to submit they would put an end to their servitude.

So, any specific ideas on withdrawing consent?

aarondenal's picture
aarondenal
MarkM wrote:

…there is no need of fighting to overcome this single tyrant, for he is automatically defeated if the country refuses consent to its own enslavement: it is not necessary to deprive him of anything, but simply to give him nothing; there is no need that the country make an effort to do anything for itself provided it does nothing against itself. It is therefore the inhabitants themselves who permit, or, rather, bring about, their own subjection, since by ceasing to submit they would put an end to their servitude.

So, any specific ideas on withdrawing consent?

Nice post.  I have to admit, it is a bit refreshing since I have been wallowing in the mire of dark talk regarding revolution on the part of some.  I can see the logic, yet the reality is unimaginable, literally.

I have some thoughts.  The first is to disavow the corporation as much as possible in one's daily life.  This is surprisingly hard, in my experience.  Yet, it could prove very powerful if used collectively.  Here are some examples of what I mean specifically:

o  Gather all the materials you need from within your local vicinity.  Or produce it yourself.  Avoid any store that is not owned within your immediate community.

o  Turn off the television/main stream media.  Engage in your real life and relationships.

o  Homeschool your children.  It is amazing how much exposure kids get to corporate interests in school.

o  Be proactive about your health.  The pharmaceutical industry should not be trusted with your body. 

o  Find and support growers who do not use chemical additives for their crops, nor genetically modified seed.  Gonna be tough with the new deregulation of GMO.  Those companies are doing their best to grab our food supply by the neck.

o  Do not eat at restaurants in general.  Sorry.  Unless it is an exceptional one, and we have a few where I live, they will be getting the cheapest (read: worst) material for their product.  Supporting them supports the corporate interests. 

These are some off the top of my head ideas at this time.  I look forward to hearing others.

littleone's picture
littleone

Wonderful topic and responses!Laughing

-De La Boétie

MarkM,

This quote gets to the core of responsibility and actionable response.

Let me add a bit of wisdom for further clarity...

source: Carlos Castaneda's Don Juan's Teachings

A Separate Reality by Carlos Castaneda:

By the time knowledge becomes a frightening affair the man also realizes that death is the irreplaceable partner that sits next to him on the mat. Every bit of knowledge that becomes power has death as its central force. Death lends the ultimate touch and whatever is touched by death indeed becomes power.
      A man who follows the paths of sorcery is confronted with imminent annihilation every turn of the way, and unavoidably he becomes keenly aware of his death. Without the awareness of death he would be only an ordinary man involved in ordinary acts. He would lack the necessary potency, the necessary concentration that transforms one's ordinary time on earth into magical power.
      Thus to be a warrior a man has to be, first of all, and rightfully so, keenly aware of his own death. But to be concerned with death would force any one of us to focus on the self and that would be debilitating. So the next thing one needs to be a warrior is detachment. The idea of imminent death, instead of becoming an obsession, becomes an indifference.
      Now you must detach yourself; detach yourself from everything. Only the idea of death makes a man sufficiently detached so he is incapable of abandoning himself to anything. Only the idea of death makes a man sufficiently detached so he can't deny himself anything. A man of that sort, however, does not crave, for he has acquired a silent lust for life and for all things of life. He knows his death is stalking him and won't give him time to cling to anything, so he tries, without craving, all of everything.
      A detached man, who knows he has no possibility of fencing off his death, has only one thing to back himself with: the power of his decisions. He has to be, so to speak, the master of his choices. He must fully understand that his choice is his responsibility and once he makes it there is no longer time for regrets or recriminations. His decisions are final, simply because his death does not permit him time to cling to anything.

-Don Juan

A Separate Reality by Carlos Castaneda

This one line from the above quote is an excellent summary:

Only the idea of death makes a man sufficiently detached so he is incapable of abandoning himself to anything. -Don Juan

Thus, one is unable to fake this process because withdrawing consent involves facing mortality/death.

-littleone

Travlin's picture
Travlin

I don’t want to torture the bus analogy to death, but below is an interesting video interview where it is used.  I’ve been thinking, “What if the road is icy and beyond control?”  The video takes it a step further.  Consider your view in light of what they say.

Start at minute 7:00.  Excellent interview of Woody O’Brien by Stefan Molyneux.  My thanks to poster Gregroberts for the link from another thread. 

Travlin 

idoctor's picture
idoctor

fandango's picture
fandango

Off the bus and on the bike----

Maya Pedal - Bicycle Machines

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

AO,

Sorry I didn't answer this when you asked.  I've been fighting a nasty virus AND bacterial infection, and haven't had much energy of late.  

No, that's not my dog. 

But I do have a Siberian Husky that is direct from Chinook's Alladin of Alyeska, which was the cornerstone stud of the Alaska Kennel, that produced the first AKC Husky Champion.  I'm not sure if Rasputin came from the same stock, but it wouldn't surprise me.  My baby is very similar to my avatar, but with brown eyes.  If you've ever owned a SH, you know they're unbelievable animals!  Hard Headed, but loyal and friendly.  

We live on a lot of land out here in N. VA, in which she's able to run as much as her heart sees fit (which is a TON).  She's taken down 3 fox (without one nip on her), numerous raccoons, and tangled with a Skunk (she lost that one....so did we as she stunk for 2 months!).  Anything that runs from her, her instincts take over and she takes them down.  It's actually pretty funny to watch little kids in the back yard.  She'll be all friendly with them, licking, etc.....then when they start to run, she'll bound after them (even if she's a couple hundred meters away) and lightly tackle them.  Humans she takes down, she just licks to death.  Animals, she kills.  It's just their nature.

Anyway, she's a great dog!  Thanks for asking!

ao wrote:
LogansRun wrote:

AO,

LR,

I heard you loud and clear and agree.  Hopefully, my post reinforced what you said.

P.S.  This is completely off subject but I've always admired your Siberian husky avatar.  Is the dog yours and by any chance, is it from a bloodline that would include a dog named Rasputin that was a show winner over 35 years ago? 

ao's picture
ao
LogansRun wrote:

We live on a lot of land out here in N. VA, in which she's able to run as much as her heart sees fit (which is a TON).  She's taken down 3 fox (without one nip on her), numerous raccoons, and tangled with a Skunk (she lost that one....so did we as she stunk for 2 months!).  Anything that runs from her, her instincts take over and she takes them down.  It's actually pretty funny to watch little kids in the back yard.  She'll be all friendly with them, licking, etc.....then when they start to run, she'll bound after them (even if she's a couple hundred meters away) and lightly tackle them.  Humans she takes down, she just licks to death.  Animals, she kills.  It's just their nature.

Anyway, she's a great dog!  Thanks for asking!

We've had 3 Siberians and 2 husky mixes.  Your dog sounds exactly like ours.  I watched our alpha male (the one that looked like your avatar) scent, charge, and flush a pheasant and leap and take it 6 feet out of the air.  He was quite the hunter and one of the smartest dogs I've ever seen.  My wife entered him in a countwide obedience show and he came out on top over German Shepherds, Dobermans, etc.  Our big alpha female was a lead dog in a sled team and hunted field mice like a wolf.  She loved charging and ramming you (or other dogs) when you weren't looking, taking you off your feet, and then standing panting there with a big grin on her face, pleased with all the fun.  She had her share of run-ins with skunks and porcupines but the only time I ever saw her back down (and wisely so) was with a neighbor's pet bobcat.  They're great dogs. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments