The specter of financial armageddon — health care and federal debt in the United States

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
investorzzo's picture
investorzzo
The specter of financial armageddon — health care and federal debt in the United States

The deficit is the gap between expenditures and revenues inany given year ($1.4 trillion in the United States in 2009),whereas debt is defined as accumulated past deficits, or thestock of what we owe ($7.5 trillion at the end of 2009).1 Economistsdistinguish between two types of deficit: cyclical and structural.Cyclical deficits rise or fall in the short term in responseto economic conditions. In economic downturns, tax revenue fallsand government spending on public programs such as unemploymentinsurance increases, leading to larger deficits and higher debt.These deficits are not necessarily a problem: they can boosteconomic activity and mitigate economic downturns. When theeconomy expands, revenues rise and spending falls, creatinga cyclical surplus that, holding all else constant, can reducethe debt.

In contrast, structural deficits represent an underlying, persistentimbalance between revenues and expenditures. The United Stateshas a substantial, growing structural deficit, much of whichreflects current and projected increases in federal spendingon Medicare and Medicaid. This federal health care spendingamounted to 5% of the gross domestic product (GDP) and 20% offederal outlays in 2009 and is forecast to reach 12% of theGDP by 2050.1 Health care spending is thus a key driver of long-termdebt. This does not mean that we cannot run a structural deficit,but deficits must be small enough that debt grows more slowlythan the GDP.

http://healthcarereform.nejm.org/?p=3170&query=TOC

This info gotten from this link. Good conversation.

http://www.netcastdaily.com/broadcast/fsn2010-0320-3.mp3

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv
Re: The specter of financial armageddon — health care and ...

The insanity continues because too many people still believe we have a functional government.  The quiet coup was completed many years ago and now our rulers have decided to destroy any pretense of nation states.  Every bill they pass is a deceptive step towards our destruction and the health scare bill is another example.

• IRS to Enforce Health Reform  - "The Internal Revenue Service will function as the government’s chief enforcer for health care reform.   The bill states that the purpose of the mandates is to regulate “economic and financial decisions about how and when health care is paid for, and when health insurance is purchased.”  The IRS is the collection arm of the private Federal Reserve.
  • Mandatory vaccinations - "The Federal Government’s proposed mandatory health insurance will mean mandatory vaccinations/immunizations. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) says that for anyone who refuses to keep up-to-date vaccinations, under the new health reform, you will not be able to obtain any health care you may need until immunizations are current."  If you have figured it out yet, we are being purposely poisoned via vaccinations that will now be mandatory.

Larry

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Re: The specter of financial armageddon — health care and ...

I'm reading up on Libertarian thought and when I saw this in "Federalist Papers No. 10" I immediately thought of the bill passed on Sunday:

"The public good is disregarded in the conflicts of rival parties, and measures are too often decided, not according to the rules of justice and the rights of the minor party, but by the superior force of an interested and overbearing majority."

Thanks Madison, Hamilton & Jay...

Viva -- Sager

WilliamJ's picture
WilliamJ
I haven't read or heard from

I haven't read or heard from any other sites besides the one that you linked to that the government will require mandatory vaccinations. Is this true or is this a misinterpretation of the current law? I do know that certain school systems this past fall denied students accees until they were vaccinated with certain vaccinations.

Saffron's picture
Saffron
mandatory vaccinations
DrKrbyLuv wrote:
  • Mandatory vaccinations - "The Federal Government’s proposed mandatory health insurance will mean mandatory vaccinations/immunizations. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) says that for anyone who refuses to keep up-to-date vaccinations, under the new health reform, you will not be able to obtain any health care you may need until immunizations are current."  If you have figured it out yet, we are being purposely poisoned via vaccinations that will now be mandatory.

This is infuriating but I do hope it is hype. Currently parents are told that to enroll their kids in school they must show proof of vaccination, but what nobody tells you is the religious exemption, opt-out form. Interestingly it's on the back of the proof of vaccination form, but I've heard they sometimes give a copy of the form without the back part. I received a notice in the mail last week that my son would need the pertussis vaccine before being enrolled. Although we plan to go back to full-time homeschooling, I called to see if the opt-out form was still an option and apparently it is (at least so far.)

I have heard of people challenging the "religious" aspect ... i.e. questioning what religion is against vaccination and whether you truly practice that religion. I've not personally been questioned (though admittedly I've only had to sign it a couple times,) but am prepared to not even deal with that by stating my first child had a serious reaction to an early vaccine. This may need to become the new "opt-out" if they start cracking down on the religious one.

~ s

iameurope's picture
iameurope
I live in the UK and the

I live in the UK and the people here too have too deal with huge NHS budget cuts.

It's unbelievable that the population in countries such as the USA and the UK suffers from insufficient health care.

I have found an interesting article on the topic.

mainebob's picture
mainebob
No Immunizations....Another way to get exemption....

Saffron, There are other ways too....

Someone I know (must remain secret) got a regular doctor to sign form
that immunizations were given even though they were not.

jettH's picture
jettH
With regard to health care

With regard to health care expenditure, reducing health care costs is a prime concern in American medical care issues for today's America. Minimizing the costs of health care is an extremely tough nut to crack. According to the Wall Street Journal, it is estimated that there are up to 4.4 million hospital re-admissions per year that could have been preventable, adding up to about $30 billion of the total national expenditure on health care. That’s about 10 percent of what Americans spend on healthcare. The proof is here: Preventable re-admissions a growing problem for hospitals, newstype.com

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments