Something off with etsan's posts?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Littleskipper's picture
Littleskipper
Something off with etsan's posts?

Something about this person's posts seemed a little strange to me.  I recently saw someone doing this on another forum I belong to.  They seemed to be very interested in the subject but the questions were off base - as if they were fishing for info.   I noticed from etsan's post history that one question was about whether they "should I sell my house" and then later this person asked if  they "should buy a house".  In the first one they still owe on the house and worry about foreclosures affecting the value of their home, in the second they have enough money to buy a house and pay cash.  A little strange but maybe it's just me.

docmims's picture
docmims
Re: Something off with etsan's posts?

I don't see it as a problem.  Everybody is wrestling with what to do right now in housing.  It is a conundrum:

real estate values are still falling, however Interest rates are at all time lows with a very high risk of rising.

Chris' answer for himself was to buy and lock in the low interest payment, because he was planning to stay and modify the homestead for sustainable living for the long term.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Littleskipper wrote:

Something about this person's posts seemed a little strange to me.  I recently saw someone doing this on another forum I belong to.  They seemed to be very interested in the subject but the questions were off base - as if they were fishing for info.   I noticed from etsan's post history that one question was about whether they "should I sell my house" and then later this person asked if  they "should buy a house".  In the first one they still owe on the house and worry about foreclosures affecting the value of their home, in the second they have enough money to buy a house and pay cash.  A little strange but maybe it's just me.

Hm...  FWIW, on another thread Etsan wanted to know why a stock market crash would cause job loss.  Anybody who's watched the CC (and/or been paying attention since the .com crash) oughta know the answer to that question.  I answered the ? in detail out of a desire to make newcomers feel welcome.  

Maybe Etsan is a bot who has been programmed to ask the kinds of questions that would stimulate answers?  Undecided

Viva -- Sager

Lemonyellowschwin's picture
Lemonyellowschwin
SagerXX wrote:

Maybe Etsan is a bot who has been programmed to ask the kinds of questions that would stimulate answers?  Undecided

Why would anyone want to program a bot to do that? 

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Admittedly -- it's an unlikely prospect.  That's why I used the "rolling eyes" emoticon.

Having said that, programming geeks do all sorts of things for inscrutable (to the outside eye) reasons.  And everybody should understand that in Sager-land, "geek" is not a pejorative term.  <smile>

Viva -- Sager

keelba's picture
keelba

I'm not sure why it would matter. If the questions are legitimate then this is the place to get his questions answered. If he's just fishing and wants to see his name in print and get a little attention then you can ignore his posts altogether and eventually he'll get bored and leave. Or you could answer those questions anyhow because others might be interested to hear your response too and, even though you're enabling him, you are still benefitting the community. You have the right to like or dislike whomever you choose for whatever reasons you want, as we all do, and if you don't care for someone then just ignore them and their posts.

keelba's picture
keelba

<oops> posted twice by mistake

JAG's picture
JAG
SagerXX wrote:

Actually, JAG (notice the third-person context) is a disinformation algo-bot for Goldman Sachs. Thank you for the profits.Sealed

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD

Hahahahahha

JAG your too funny

Littleskipper's picture
Littleskipper

Just had to put my tin foil hat on for a moment - you never know who's really behind some of the posts and or what their motives might be.  When a person joins this type of forum they typically seem to have a decent understanding about what we're facing in the near future and they themselves subscribe to some or all of the ideas...so to post  "maybe we don't have anything to worry about" just doesn't jive.  Anyway this is my final post on this subject...I have to get back to working on preparing.  Baker Seeds and Seeds of Change are calling my name at the moment.  

etsan's picture
etsan

Hello,

Wow I can't believe you guys are posting about my posts. The questions about selling my house and buying a new property were 9 months apart. Economy changes and things change. Like I've said on my other posts, I'm new to all of this and althogh my questions may not sound as intellectual, I'm asking those questions because its easier for me to understand the simple answers one by one. Some of the posts like many of Chris post, its hard for me to understand because of all the economic vocabulary, etc. Plus some of the concepts are too deep for me to understand. Thats why you see me ask simple qustions. I'm not doing these posts for fun. I do these posts to learn more after watching CC more than a year ago. I've been talking to other people about the CC situation, but the funny thing is everyone I talk to is like "don't live in fear", "you are paranoid", or I'm being annoying or something. They feel like as if I'm trying to shove something down their throat. Fact is, I don't know anybody outside of this forum that discusses about these important issues facing us. I can't talk to anyone whether it be friends or family where I can get a healthy discussion going. Its always the same ole "I'm paranoid" or "I'm overthinking or thinking too much". Its funny how some of you may even consider that I'm a BOT trying to mine data or something. I don't think bots are able to reply like what I'm doing right now. I'm sure Earthwise (another member here) knows because I've private message him before and looking into property with land down in SD, California. So if you guys have any more concerns or questions about me, please do ask and I've be happy to reply it its not too personal.

Thanks.

mike009's picture
mike009

I appreciate your honesty.  i often have "what if ......  " questions.  Especially about macroeconomics.   So much is happening today and 99% of the population are blind.   The people I talk to have never had been effected by what's happening.  They don't have to fight in 2 major wars.  They never experienced a depression.  They never had to protest or fight their government  ( they think they don't have to).   They haven't had major price increases at the gas station so they had to wait in line ( and may never get gas to get to work !!!  )   They never had to try not to get a vaccine that is mandated by the government.    

My answer is to be prepared as possible.   Sure I think about buying a Lexus  or something, but keeping in " reality " with this and other sites is helpful  so I don't get off track.

Best of Luck.

Mike

earthwise's picture
earthwise
etsan wrote:

I'm sure Earthwise (another member here) knows because I've private message him before and looking into property with land down in SD, California.

Yeah, but that was before I knew you were a bot!!Surprised

earthwise's picture
earthwise

etsan,

There are a lot of really smart people on this site (unfortunately, I'm not one of them) and their insight and analysis is valuable because they have no personal agenda, nothing to gain. But it appears that they jumped to the wrong conclusion in this case. Don't be ashamed that you have difficulty understanding economics. So do I and probably most folks who are reading this. And please continue asking "stupid" questions. That way I don't look so dumb. Besides, thats how you learn.

One question though: Can bots really be paranoid? Who'da thunk that?Wink

docmims's picture
docmims

HeLLo AsIaN Gurls -- L-i-k-e to meet Ni/ce American guys.

-- oops spam bot out of control.

sorry

DocWink

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments