Some Observations about the Flu Event

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
JTinDenver's picture
JTinDenver
Some Observations about the Flu Event

I'm far from a Alex Jones type conspiracy theorist, but I'm interested what people's opinion is about the rurmored FEMA camps and an outbreak of this Swine Flu?

Also something that this outbreak has exposed, is how susceptible America could possibly be to a biological terror attack due to Mexico's weakness in having secure borders.  While I doubt the Swine Flu is a terror attack, I shudder at the thought if a pandemic was spread intentionally be targeting a vacation hotspot.  Thoughts?

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12
Re: Some Observations about the Flu Event

JTinDenver

Hi.  I cannot resist responding to this.  I have followed the Avian Flu thing for a couple of years and find this whole process interesting to say the least.  There is really no point in quarantining people en masse at this point as I understand it since this is now global and given how mild it can be, it may already be widespread with many people with mild infections, but we cannot know since it is impossible to test everyone to get an accurate rate of occurence (prevalence).

I understand the concern about bioterrorism since this thing seems to originate from one location but it is not so virulent just yet so not such an effective weapon I think.  These are just the thoughts of one person and only my opinion.

Regards and Welcome!

Denise

Juvysen's picture
Juvysen

I heard they're closing schools in TX already.  Closed until further notice.  People are *really* freaking out over this.  I feel like I must be missing something because I'm just not that worried yet.

SPM's picture
SPM

Wow. I guess I haven't been paying enough attention to this whole thing.

LindaBobzien's picture
LindaBobzien

I have been paying attention and think I must be missing something too!  I can't figure out why this a media field day and the WHO is at level 5.  It sounds reasonably mild yet they are acting like it's "12 Monkeys".  Are they thinking it will mutate or something?  I have to shake my head when the media is reporting "the first US death" and it turns out to have been a child from Mexico.  Are they TRYING to freak people out?  Obviously the media likes to sensationalize things but why is the WHO in a tizzy?

Juvysen's picture
Juvysen

Linda, I'm wondering the same thing.  I literally laughed out loud when I heard that the WHO had raised it to level 5.  from the cdc:

Quote:

In response to an intensifying outbreak in the United States and internationally caused by a new influenza virus of swine origin, the World Health Organization raised the worldwide pandemic alert level to Phase 5 on April 29, 2009. A Phase 5 alert is a strong signal that a pandemic is imminent and that the time to finalize the organization, communication, and implementation of the planned mitigation measures is short.

Pandemic is imminent?  Whaa?  So, since this looks like a big freak out I'm just going to make sure we have enough toilet paper, etc.  Because, while I don't think an actual pandemic is LIKELY at this time (but again, I could be missing something), I DO think that a big ol' freak out lockdown is likely... at least if you go by how they're all bugging out over this whole thing.  If they quarantine us all, I wanna be set up so we're not going hungry or something.  We have enough food in the house, I believe, to be pretty comfortable, but it'll be sad not having fresh veggies until it grows in our garden (got a few weeks on that, yet).

JTinDenver's picture
JTinDenver

I guess I  see it differently...there's something that the government is not telling us.  I don't trust the government nor the media in the States.  For example I went on CNN's site yesterday and the top story was the plane fly over in NYC.  I went on the CDC's site and had to scroll down and open a link to get an update.  On the other hand I went to WHO's site and BBC's site and it was the #1 topic being covered.  This seemed strange.

I  think back to November and how it was "sprung" on us that the banks were in dire trouble.  Then I think about the mass hysteria and how our economy would come to screeching halt if our goverment really let on to how bad things are and I see motivation for the government to downplay how severe things are. 

Juvysen's picture
Juvysen
JTinDenver wrote:

I guess I  see it differently...there's something that the government is not telling us.  I don't trust the government nor the media in the States.  For example I went on CNN's site yesterday and the top story was the plane fly over in NYC.  I went on the CDC's site and had to scroll down and open a link to get an update.  On the other hand I went to WHO's site and BBC's site and it was the #1 topic being covered.  This seemed strange.

I  think back to November and how it was "sprung" on us that the banks were in dire trouble.  Then I think about the mass hysteria and how our economy would come to screeching halt if our goverment really let on to how bad things are and I see motivation for the government to downplay how severe things are. 

Right, and this is where I'm at.... well, sort of.  What do they know that we don't know?

coolhandluke's picture
coolhandluke

Each day roughly 3000 people die form malaria and yet there is no one freaking out about it.

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/

In the 70's the government tried a massive swine flu vaccine campaign.  Unfortunately for the government the pandemic never was a pandemic. Even more unfortunate are the many who took the vaccine and developed Guillain-Barré syndrome, a paralyzing nerve disease.  Worst of all...25 people died from the vaccine while only 1 died form the swine flu. 

1976 swine flu debacle:

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-sci-swine-history27-2009apr27,...

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/29/Swine-Flu....

Im not buying the hype.  Eat right, stay in shape, and more than likely your immune system will take care of the rest. 

Lucas Marshall

SPM's picture
SPM
JTinDenver wrote:

I guess I  see it differently...there's something that the government is not telling us. 

Agreed. Something is going on. Fema camps. War games to lock down major cities. They didn't even do that much work for the potential of a large hurricane hitting New Orleans. Maybe this is a response to that. I do whole heartedly think MSM is controlled by the government. Censorship is already here in the states. They use it to advance their agenda. Look here while we act over there.

What they are trying to hide I can only speculate. Maybe that the economy is in shambles and near collapse, cheap oil is almost gone, plentiful food is almost gone, were devestating our earths ecosystem?

I also see the flu issue as a diversion. I see the little flyover spectacle as a wonderfully orchestrated diversion. To think no one in government had any idea that a jumbo jet with F-18s trailing it, flying a few hundred feet over the WTC site would scare a few people?

SPM's picture
SPM

I wonder how many people die of AIDS each year?

r101958's picture
r101958

I'm a little curious as to the incubation period with this strain? Anybody heard anything official? I understand that the New York school kids went to Mexico during spring break.....wasn't that about 3 or more weeks ago. If so, how long has the virus been in this country already? Maybe nothing....just an interesting question.

Juvysen's picture
Juvysen
r101958 wrote:

I'm a little curious as to the incubation period with this strain? Anybody heard anything official? I understand that the New York school kids went to Mexico during spring break.....wasn't that about 3 or more weeks ago. If so, how long has the virus been in this country already? Maybe nothing....just an interesting question.

I heard it was about 3 days.

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

Hi All,

The main point that has been emphasized in the Asian MSM has been the fact that this bug is communicable during its incubation period, which can range from 3 to 7 days. The point being that this means containment is basically impossible. You can't screen people at borders, airports, etc. effectively because they are contagious for several days before they begin to develop recognizable symptoms.

It is for these reasons [that the Asian newspapers have been reporting that] everyone is freaking out. They figure that it could already have been communicated to millions upon millions of people, and if so we wouldn't even know that yet. By the time they develop symptoms, it will be too late for quarantine to be effective because they'll already have communicated the disease to many others.

I too was shocked when this morning's South China Morning Post was ablaze with headlines saying pandemic was imminent, but that's what they are now saying here. Suddenly last night and today I see many people on the street and in the subway here in Hong Kong wearing masks.

Erik

Davos's picture
Davos

Hello:

I'm following it closely, don't know which way it is going to go. 

I know, and please don't peg me as rascist, from reading "The Great Influenza" that certain nationalities were gene resistant and others gene succeptable, they think becuase way, way back some regions got the flu like that before. Because of that I made the misstake of thinking that people in Mexico were gene succeptable and in America they were more resistant.

Then I watched this. Dr. Henry Niman (Video A(H1N1) Google Tracking)

Seems like we are lucky and the cases are low becuase of the statistics/numbers. This Phd is saying that Mexico had 200,000 cases (and soon so shall we). 200,000 cases? Where was that in the "media"? Makes sense, the first victim was in the hospital about 10 times and they didn't know what it was. In 1918 they thought it was a light flu not a pandemic. And I have to believe the 200,000 cases as Mexico is "shutting down" http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b58601e2-35a2-11de-a997-00144feabdc0.html

The part about it spreading at airports makes sense as I am a former airline pilot. I don't know if masks/gloves work but this took me by surprise. Seems to me if one worker is sick it would at least help contain it. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/30/border-agents-airport-workers-told-wear-surgical-masks/ 

So in short, I hope this thing fizzles out instead of mutating into a serious pandemic.

madhouse's picture
madhouse

I am not sure is this is the right post for this like but has any one seen this..

H1N1 virus' not affected by tamiflu?? growing resistance to treatments.

from about 2 months ago...

http://www.medpagetoday.com/InfectiousDisease/URItheFlu/13072

Juvysen's picture
Juvysen
Davos wrote:

Hello:

I'm following it closely, don't know which way it is going to go. 

I know, and please don't peg me as rascist, from reading "The Great Influenza" that certain nationalities were gene resistant and others gene succeptable, they think becuase way, way back some regions got the flu like that before. Because of that I made the misstake of thinking that people in Mexico were gene succeptable and in America they were more resistant.

Then I watched this. Dr. Henry Niman (Video A(H1N1) Google Tracking)

Seems like we are lucky and the cases are low becuase of the statistics/numbers. This Phd is saying that Mexico had 200,000 cases (and soon so shall we). 200,000 cases? Where was that in the "media"? Makes sense, the first victim was in the hospital about 10 times and they didn't know what it was. In 1918 they thought it was a light flu not a pandemic. And I have to believe the 200,000 cases as Mexico is "shutting down" http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b58601e2-35a2-11de-a997-00144feabdc0.html

The part about it spreading at airports makes sense as I am a former airline pilot. I don't know if masks/gloves work but this took me by surprise. Seems to me if one worker is sick it would at least help contain it. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/30/border-agents-airport-workers-told-wear-surgical-masks/ 

So in short, I hope this thing fizzles out instead of mutating into a serious pandemic.

I have thought there must be a *lot* more cases just in terms of statistically spreading it to so many different countries via visitors.  It makes sense to me that there are probably 200k cases, but still, if only 1000-2000 of them have turned bad enough for them to call them "suspected cases"  I'm still just not that scared.  That'd be 1% of infected people have it bad enough to be noticable, you know?  That's not even the number of deaths. Yeah, it *could* mutuate, but my understanding is that in most first world countries viruses mutate to more mild cases because things are harder to spread where there's good sanitation.  That is, if you're vomiting into the toilet instead of the street, wash your hands because you have water available for that, etc, it makes more evolutionary sense for viruses to become more mild so people are more likely to go out and infect others (because they don't know they have it).  I wish I had the link to the study on this...

One percent of the world is still a LOT of people, but it's only 10 percent (if there's 2000 "cases" and 200 have died - which seems to still be speculation at this point...) of that that was suspected deaths or something, right?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments