Skype Forum - Two Beers With Steve

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
kemosavvy's picture
kemosavvy
Skype Forum - Two Beers With Steve

I've been kicking around this idea for quite some time but I thought i'd throw it out. I'm thinking about hosting a skype forum concerning issues presented on this website, since most of us do something wildly different in our day jobs. my skype forums 'schtick' is that we are having two beers with steve (of course two beers in an hour is a stretch for me, more like 4-6) and discussing important issues.

my thinking is this: i have a very difficult time finding people who are even remotely interested about discussing these issues. a one-hour skype forum would provide us with a venue to discuss/listen to real people from this site. some true back and forth, i think, would help us all get a better understanding. i also want to spend some time on talking about getting the word out and alerting people about the path we're headed (through speeches, local media, dvd distribution, etc.).

i'll post questions in advance so you may have some time to prepare, the first one is pretty easy, 'what beer are you drinking?'. i hope this skype forum has legs and it takes off. i'm thinking sunday nights are the best but considering this is superbowl sunday, maybe this saturday night would be a good start, 9PM EST. the first forum will be a planning session. meet-n-greet.

whattya say?

Headless's picture
Headless
Re: Skype Forum - Two Beers With Steve

Saturday night? You've definitely posted the corrrect picture...

As this involves a participant-preferred level of alcohol consumption, I would llike to suggest that we observe a realistic set of standards governing epithets, four-letter words, put downs, and momentary freak-outs; specifically:

• epithets: max 3 per sentence (e.g. The banker consulted with the Treasury Secretary on the T.A.R.P.);
  • four-letter words: allowed as first or last word of sentence only; [Edited for language]
  • put downs: must refer to someone not logged on (e.g., Every time he opened his mouth we saw Dick);
  • momentary freak-outs: one per person per session (This is still America).

Let's chat!

Lee

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat

I love this idea, but I can't make it tomorrow night. If it's during the week, it's usually not a problem for me to work it out.

Nice rules, Lee. I'm sure they will come in handy...I think I'm not just speaking for myself when I say that political frustration can run really high with this site's members at times.

If this were to grow and a number of people just get on and chat, that would be great, but it could easily turn into more of a social talk rather than one that deals directly with the issues for the purposes of serving the community. Don't get me wrong, either way it's great, but perhaps we should clarify the goal of the session before going in.

I don't want to volunteer anyone to contribute even more, but maybe we should having targeted learning sessions that are scheduled and tend to be more with one person instructing with questions at the end. I think that structure might manage the discussion a little better than a large unstructured discussion. If Chris had the time and wanted to discuss some particular items, maybe he could schedule a session. Likewise, if someone else felt like discussing, say, permaculture, it would be great to have them give some background on that with others asking questions along the way or at the end. The particularly ambitious might even create a few slides. There was a recent "survey" forum that simply dealt with discussing people's individual experiences and something of that nature could prove insightful.

It would be fairly straightforward to propose or post new skype sessions and then see who signs up as showing interest to see how viable that session would be. 

Maybe this is thinking too big for now. Keep posting when sessions are going to be and hopefully I can make the next one!

Cheers,

Mike

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder

Interesting idea - I'm willing to give it a shot.

Headless's picture
Headless

Mike said:

"Nice rules, Lee. I'm sure they will come in handy...I think I'm not just speaking for myself when I say that political frustration can run really high with this site's members at times.:"

Mike,

You have a level of class that most people will never achieve. I assume you've seen Braveheart; do you remember the scene where William Wallace addresses the crooked son of the leperous (how appropriate) "noble?" He, William Wallace, said, "If you would just lead, they would follow you...I--I would follow you."

Keep up the good work Mike.

Lee

cat233's picture
cat233
Nonzeroone wrote:

Mike said:

"Nice rules, Lee. I'm sure they will come in handy...I think I'm not just speaking for myself when I say that political frustration can run really high with this site's members at times.:"

Mike,

You have a level of class that most people will never achieve. I assume you've seen Braveheart; do you remember the scene where William Wallace addresses the crooked son of the leperous (how appropriate) "noble?" He, William Wallace, said, "If you would just lead, they would follow you...I--I would follow you."

Keep up the good work Mike.

Lee

Exactly Lee...Mike as to why I am trying to pawn mine and Dogs daughter your direction... I thought I had a good spiel, but you sure didn't take the bait.  Dogs will love this Skype forum....Though he will have single malt in hand.

Cat

joemanc's picture
joemanc

Great idea!

My vote is for Sunday nights, 9PM EST. Though if you want to make it international and try to get as many people as possible to participate, perhaps 6PM would work better, that's 11PM London time, and about 8AM Sydney time.

Doesn't have to start Super Bowl Sunday. I need to download skype and get a headset!

kemosavvy's picture
kemosavvy

okay, we could do this next sunday night and that would not be a problem, maybe 6-7PM EST,

i think a topic of the week would be nice (like a specific chapter of the crash course) and that would be the platform we work off of.

the problem with a project like this is that you want to start off simple and let it grow, i've learned that being overambitious can only make you frustrated when the dream grows in another direction. i hope that makes some sense.

let's just let the first couple of forums dictate exactly where we are headed.... and mike, as long as someone is here to take a leadership role we shouldn't get off course for that long before the leader directs us back to the subject. who the leader is will probably be found out through the first couple of forums. the natural progression may be for someone other than me to take control, but i'll direct the first forum.

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat

Cat: Your spiel certainly impressed a number of us on here. Perhaps said Hokie will be on these forums sometime? Dogs says that she will have to show me how to hold utensils at the barbeque. Not sure why steroid infused turkeys would have any particular experience with utensils, but we Cavaliers only use utensils with integrity - silverware.

cat233's picture
cat233

Mike... The Hokie does have a boyfriend, but I don't see a ring on her finger.  BTW she does know how to use utensils, I have seen her do so with my own eyes . I still have plans, you will be coming here for a BBQ someday and we will see what happens...  I will put Dogs in his kennel before you arrive.

Cat

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat

sounds great, kemosavvy.

next Sunday will be bad for me as well, I'll be driving home from Rowe. But don't hold back for me, get this started and keep me updated.

And perhaps this should also be addressed to the admins, but let me know what you think:

In the past, I've used wikis to collaborate on a number of projects and if there is an easy way to integrate one into this site that would serve us very well, I think. I envision that a wiki could be used as a sort of "sign up" area for some of the skype forums, so we could get a feel over who was interested. Also, it might prove useful if people were to post How To items, like creating biodiesel. This way, the page could be edited and updated without having to do another new post. And, it could be something like a wikipedia where many people could continuosly improve the information. Wikipedia might tell you what solar panels are, but it won't give you practical info on installation. Likewise, I bet you can find biodiesel on there, but I'm sure you won't be able to learn how to make it.

Probably getting ahead of myself yet again. I definitely agree that for now we should just see what the interest level is in Skype as-is. Thanks for posting this and organizing!

Mike

kemosavvy's picture
kemosavvy

i guess i'll be around tonight and can be reached at stephen9134 on skype, check back tonight on this thread to see if i  cancel but for now the time is set as 9:15EST, so that will be 8:15 my time (just after i put the kids to bed at 8:00 my time).

first off, grab a few beer-skis and we'll do a roundtable on where to go from here.

thanks, talk to you tonight.

steve

kemosavvy's picture
kemosavvy

i'll have to cancel tonight, bad planning on my part.

sorry

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Sign me up.  Just tell me when and where.  There are 30+ bottles of single malts in the booze locker upstairs so even at two glasses a session that puts me in the game for about 3 years.

Mike - Don't believe a word Mrs. Dogs says.  Kennel my eye.  I am the master of my house and when she lets me, I wear the pants in the family.

fortytwo's picture
fortytwo

Count me in as well.  Lets try for another Sunday.

I recently organized something similar to this for a work function.  We found that rotating leaders was important (everyone has a different approach).  Also-  our first call was always spent going around and introducing ourselves.  It was good to learn people's voices and their speach patterns.  It helped to have a moderator handle 'calling on people' as the group got larger.  Interupting someone to make a point just doesn't work when the group gets above 4 people. 

I'll put some beers in the fridge so I'm ready for the next attempt!  

Thanks for getting this going-  its important.

fortytwo's picture
fortytwo

This Sunday would be a great evening to skype!

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

I may have a conflict - will know this evening.  Otherwise I'm good to go.

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat

I'll be out of town this weekend, but returning Sunday night. If we can do it later on (9ish), I should be good to go.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments