Single Malt Scotch and Roman Coins and whatever else

49 posts / 0 new
Last post
joe2baba's picture
joe2baba
Single Malt Scotch and Roman Coins and whatever else

i am creating this sandbox so that those who wish to discuss single malt scotch..........yuck .......but i guess it is supposed to be cool and show a certain level of sophistication, and old roman coins ...............now we are getting esoteric(sure will come in handy when the shtf................uh can i have a loaf of bread? what ? you want to know if these coins are from the later roman empire after they had debased their currency? well dang i dont know)

can have a place ot play

i apologize for cluttering up the forums but i needed a new place to play

Jarhett's picture
Jarhett
Re: Single Malt Scotch and Roman Coins and whatever else

I am a big fan of the Macallan 12 + single malt Scotch Whiskey.  In preparation for SHTF I have bought 5 cases, Is this enough??? I have also bought a solar powered ice maker, that collects rain water to enhance my Scotch enjoyment.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Good 'Ole Boys Sandbox
joe2baba wrote:

i am creating this sandbox so that those who wish to discuss single malt scotch..........yuck .......but i guess it is supposed to be cool and show a certain level of sophistication, and old roman coins ...............now we are getting esoteric(sure will come in handy when the shtf................uh can i have a loaf of bread? what ? you want to know if these coins are from the later roman empire after they had debased their currency? well dang i dont know)

can have a place ot play

i apologize for cluttering up the forums but i needed a new place to play

It's spooky, Joe, because I was just thinking that those who don't play well with others need their own sandbox.  But then, if they're all in the same sandbox, who will the bullies have to beat up on?

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

I'd go w/the 18-year Lagavulin.  And I'm heretical enough to take it neat.  

Also enjoy the Talisker (more floral).  

And Laphroaig is just seaweed'n'peatsmoke and utterly over the top.  I don't often get the jones for it, but when I do...nothing else will do.

Getting a case or two of liquor/wine/et al. is moving up onto my shortlist of Stuff To Get. Still a few things in front of it (mason jars, some garden stuff)...

Viva -- Sager 

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

Joe, thanks for the diversion; one is always welcome.

Jarhett, I love Macallen; its my favorite major label Scotch! 

Sager, what is wrong with taking Scotch neat? I learned that from my father, thank you very much. Still, my wife doesn't appreciate Scotch, so I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I would like.

c1oudfire, can I play in the sandbox, too?

Will there be more, or is this it? 

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

Oh, chocolate!

Should I stockpile it, or learn to make it? I can't very well live without the stuff...

Jarhett's picture
Jarhett
ccpetersmd wrote:

Oh, chocolate!

Should I stockpile it, or learn to make it? I can't very well live without the stuff...

You should definitely learn how to make it. I do not know if we can start a thread titled the definitive chocolate making thread or not?  Things you will need cocoa plants, a cow if you want milk chocolate, and probably some sugar cane. 

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
ccpetersmd wrote:

Oh, chocolate!

I've been thinking about that one too.  Can't grow the cocoa beans -- they're a tropical plant, zone 9, I think.  I've put up a bunch of cocoa powder and coconut oil, so I could make some myself, but it can't be as good as the stuff we're used to.  Oh, well . . .

Now that you mention it, chocolate has always been a popular black market item in times of crisis.  Unfortunately, it doesn't keep very well.

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
c1oudfire wrote:
ccpetersmd wrote:

Oh, chocolate!

I've been thinking about that one too.  Can't grow the cocoa beans -- they're a tropical plant, zone 9, I think.  I've put up a bunch of cocoa powder and coconut oil, so I could make some myself, but it can't be as good as the stuff we're used to.  Oh, well . . .

Now that you mention it, chocolate has always been a popular black market item in times of crisis.  Unfortunately, it doesn't keep very well.

I saw beautiful (and huge) cocoa plants growing in a greenhouse at Walt Disney World a few months ago. Perhaps I could build a cocoa greenhouse here in Iowa? My wife and children would be absolutely beside themselves with joy!

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
c1oudfire wrote:

I saw beautiful (and huge) cocoa plants growing in a greenhouse at Walt Disney World a few months ago. Perhaps I could build a cocoa greenhouse here in Iowa? My wife and children would be absolutely beside themselves with joy!

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Chocolate!

Dr. Peters;

I've seen cacao trees growing in the greenhouse here at the Chicago Botanic Garden, and wondered the same thing myself.  But they're very space-intensive, and really need a warm, humid atmosphere, which isn't going to mesh well with a peak oil situation. . .  you can see that I've giving this an embarrassingly large amount of thought. . . . Ahhh . . . I can live in a world without Volvos, but I'm not sure about a world without chocolate.  I may just lose the will to survive . . . 

Wink.

You must be winding down from a long day in the OR. 

Septimus's picture
Septimus

The debased coins from the late empire are much more common and less expensive than earlier ones (can be as cheap as $1 each or even less in uncleaned (read encrusted) group lots. Coins from well know emperors such as Marcus Aurelius, Nero, Augustus, etc are all readily available but cost more but are still affordable for decent copper coins, or, in the case of Marcus aurelius, even silver. Decent pieces of these empeorors can be had for $25 - $100.

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts

Speaking of Chocolat, I enjoy the movie as well.

jerrydon10's picture
jerrydon10

Don't forget the panty hose. During war rationing, I think the big barter items were chocolate, cigarettes and panty hose. But I don't know if women wear panty hose nearly as much as they used to. oh well.

Roundhouse's picture
Roundhouse

Single Malt Scotch... now there's a thread title that caught my attention!

My father (last name of Scott, whose parents immigrated from Edinburough) taught me to drink scotch (read with a fairly strong accent).  Anyway, he always liked to say "A Scotsman has to plug his nose when he drinks good scotch because the smell of it makes his mouth water and he dunna want to dillute it)!!

It still makes me smile when I think of it..... but I'm enough American to be able to sip without plugging my nose.  It took lots of practice but hey, it was worth it!!

Ready's picture
Ready
gregroberts wrote:

Speaking of Chocolat, I enjoy the movie as well.

That's the escape for our family too.

We have an old LCD projector I got from work, and sometimes we go outside and project a movie onto the side of the barn from my laptop and have sort of a drive in theater, where the neighbors come over and watch with us. The picture quality sucks as does the sound, but it is still pretty fun. I think once things get bad, we'll make it a weekly event, every Saturday night, free movies for the whole community. I guess any reason to bring people together can be a good one, especially if they bring Scotch, Roman Coins, and Chocolate.

I think this thread was meant as a shot across the bow of an avid poster here, but I am actually enjoying it at face value for what is in the subject line. Sorry if we hijacked your slapdown thread Joe!

Best,

Rog

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

to clear the air there is no way to hijack this thread...........the whatever else in the heading covers everything. this is how we build community.

thanks for the info on the chocolate i hadnt thought of that as a barter item. amory lovins has been growing and harvesting tropical produce in his house in aspen for almost thirty years so growing cocoa beans should be a cool thing to do.

my anarcho libertarian friend arly plans on going commercial with his still ..........so all you single malt folks can come on down and see what you are missing........it will blow you away.

he also is stepping up production on the state flower for the hippies among you so if you need some diversions you are more than welcome. 

oh btw arly is a libertarian  around polite folks like the folks here but among his friends he is an anarchist

one of my favorite refrigerator magnets is " hand over the chocolate and no one will get hurt"

remember you can make spirits from just about anything...........start now.

i used to get just as drunk on j&b as any single malt

tom.'s picture
tom.
R_Eddy wrote:

I think this thread was meant as a shot across the bow of an avid poster here, but I am actually enjoying it at face value for what is in the subject line. Sorry if we hijacked your slapdown thread Joe!

Best,

Rog

LOL .. ya think?

Ready's picture
Ready
Re: whatever else = wood pellets
Tom Loftus wrote:

LOL .. ya think?

Tom, I see you got flagged on that one, so I'll make this quick Hopefully you see it before your post gets zapped.

I know in another thread a long time ago you mentioned you make wood pellets. I have a sawmill, and I'm interested in doing the same thing. How do you make them? Is there a press of some sort, perhaps a wax additive or something like that?

Since anything goes on this thread, I might as well make it about wood pellets!

Best,

Rog

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

i bow once again to your genius

tom.'s picture
tom.

Either of THESE TWO mills are good if you use sawdust

I use shavings and wood chips so I need THIS HAMMERMILL as well as the first mill.

tom.'s picture
tom.

I deleted the image from the web .. somebody didn't care for my interpretation :-(

Ready's picture
Ready
Tom Loftus wrote:

Either of THESE TWO mills are good if you use sawdust

I use shavings and wood chips so I need THIS HAMMERMILL as well as the first mill.

Tom,

Those are more expensive than I expected. Do you think the benefits of pellets over plain old chopped wood justifies the inital outlay? I can get an outdoor wood stove for just a little more, and they will burn for a day per loading even in really cold weather.

I appreciate your input,

Rog

tom.'s picture
tom.

Rog, there are other benefits besides burning .. this past winter pellets were going for $5.00 per 40 lb bag on Craigslist .. that's 10 bags per hour on (1) quart of diesel. I personally do not have a pellet stove, but I do have a PELLET BASKET inside my woodstove, which can be removed to burn logs. Sometimes I need logs to get my temp up around 750 deg.. the basket will only get me to around 400 .. OK until the outside goes below 30 deg F.

Ready's picture
Ready

Got it.

Thanks again.

R

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
ccpetersmd wrote:

Sager, what is wrong with taking Scotch neat? I learned that from my father, thank you very much. 

IMO, neat is how it oughta be done.  

But according to (most of) the Scots I've met, one is supposed to splash in a bit of room-temp water to let the Scotch "open up".    

Crazy Scots...(and my surname is McCallum)...

Viva -- Sager 

joe2baba's picture
joe2baba

i think it would be useful to investigate bio char you get charcoal and the gas from the combustion. the bio char can be used as a soil amendment for your garden .

we are working on a design right now i will keep you posted

Mr. Fri's picture
Mr. Fri
Re: Chocolate!
c1oudfire wrote:

I've seen cacao trees growing in the greenhouse here at the Chicago
Botanic Garden, and wondered the same thing myself.  But they're very
space-intensive, and really need a warm, humid atmosphere, which isn't
going to mesh well with a peak oil situation. . .  you can see that
I've giving this an embarrassingly large amount of thought. . . . Ahhh
. . .I can live in a world without Volvos, but I'm not sure about a world without chocolate.  I may just lose the will to survive . . . 

Wink.

Oh no, I hope we don't look back at this period in history and realize that it was the era of "peak chocolate." How depressing that would be. 

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
So, chocolate, firearms, scotch, roman coins, vegetable gardens, precious metals. Anything else? What an interesting group we are!
tx_floods's picture
tx_floods

Mother Earth News just ran an article on bio-char. Seems like you just burn some wood, and put the fire out before the wood turns to ashes. Voila! Charcoal. What could be better than that? Burning some firewood outside, throwing back a few coldies?

The article can be found at Mother's website.

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Chocolate!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments