Shock to the system

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
investorzzo's picture
investorzzo
Shock to the system

My girlfriend just got back from grocery shopping and said "wow" meat prices up 30 percent! Is anyone else noticing these increases. Jon

http://www.caseyresearch.com/displayCdd.php

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen
Re: Shock to the system

Yeah. She said that to me too. I mean...yeah...meat prices are way up. Smile

Seriously. I've noticed the move up here in Kansas too. Bacon, cereal, chips, ice cream all really going up fast.

earthwise's picture
earthwise
Johnny Oxygen wrote:

Seriously. I've noticed the move up here in Kansas too. Bacon, cereal, chips, ice cream all really going up fast.

Bacon, chips and ice cream...........what, are you on a health food kick?  Don't forget the Snickers and a Slim Jim, washed down with a Red Bull!! Now that's nutrition.Laughing

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

hahahahah

Yes that sounds bad doesn't it?

I mean: Spinach, apples and tofu. Undecided

ao's picture
ao
Food expenses grow in these times

As we know, during the Weimar Republic hyperinflation, German citizens spent, on average, 90% of their income on food.  We're getting there.

Just another reason I've been gathering up lots of compost materials this fall to enrich and expand our garden come spring.  Bought large sheets of clear plastic to cover our gardens to extend the season and more than covered the material cost with continued food production later into the season than ever before.  Luckily, we live in an area where fishing and hunting success is high.  They're both activities that I enjoy when I have the time (although in recent years, I've been busier with other activities).  At the present time, it's much easier to earn the money to buy food but if things should change, I'm prepared to scale up these activities.  Venison, rabbit, goose, duck, and grouse are among my favorite foods.  In fact, I just had a friend drop off some freshly caught walleye filets as a thank you for a favor I did for his daughter.    

Along the same lines of food, here's some of my winter reading list:

The Winter Harvest Handbook by Eliot Coleman

Seed to See by Suzanne Ashworth

Preserving Food Without Freezing or Canning by the gardeners and farmers of Terre Vivante

Wild Fermentation by Sandor Elliz Katz

All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
investozzo wrote:

My girlfriend just got back from grocery shopping and said "wow" meat prices up 30 percent! Is anyone else noticing these increases. Jon

johnnyoxygen wrote:

Yeah. She said that to me too. I mean...yeah...meat prices are way up. Smile

Too funny, johnnyo!

But to your question, Jon; absolutely!!  Going to the grocery store is starting to get to be its own surreal experience: prices going up; more cheap prepared dinner food for people with tight budgets; fewer people in the grocery store than before, etc.  It is a bit of a depressing experience in and of itself.  Not sure if others have gotten that same take on things.

suesullivan's picture
suesullivan

I"m noticing it too. For the first time that I can remember  I was shocked a couple of weeks ago to find so many staples no longer available "on sale" regardless of the brand and the "regular" price being 20-40 percent higher than a few months ago. It alarmed me, and I'm stepping up my stockpiling again.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Yes:  bread & meat climbing like crazy. And like ao, we're expanding our garden this Fall (prepping it up for Spring planting) -- hey, meat & bread double in price, we'll just double our garden...  

mainecooncat's picture
mainecooncat

As far as bread prices going up, I recommend people start baking their own -- something I've(we've) just started doing for the first time in our lives.

You don't need any specialty equipment whatsoever --- no special pans, no bread machine, no rare ingredients.

Spend an hour or so of prep time (you can garden, workout, or sleep while they bake) on a Sunday afternoon and have multiple loaves for the week.

The best part is that it's cheaper and significantly healthier.

Bread labled as "artisan" that sells for anywhere between $3-$5/loaf in the bakery section of most supermarkets you can make at home for about $1-$2/loaf or even less depending upon the volume of ingredients you buy. And even if rising (no pun intended) flour prices are considered, it's still cheaper than buying pre-baked loaves.

Lastly, health. You don't need any of the filler ingredients even high-quality bread makers inevitably put in. Plus you can add great things like garlic, rosemary, and sea salt -- obviously the list is endless.

Okay, starting to drool.

ewilkerson's picture
ewilkerson

Absolutely.  All food is going up.  But it's not just because of all the cash flowing in the system chasing the same amount of goods.  It is because the Republican/Agribusinesses and Congress made a deal with the devil.  It wasn't bad enough that our food production requires 10 barrels of oil per year per person to feed us, but they went and started this Ethanol program with government subsidiess.  Not only is it pulling at least 25%of corn into it which could be used for feeding animals, but it has reduced mileage of cars.  Most processed foods have the high fructose corn syrup, so I'm sure that is helping to raise prices, too.  The bad thing on top of everything is that most scientists agree that corn ethanol is a net loss of energy.  CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW THEY WILL HANDLE A FULL BLOWN ENERGY CRISIS?

lpowell23's picture
lpowell23

Of coure food prices are going up!Undecided  Didn't anyone read Eric de Carbonnel's article "2010 Food Crisis for Dummies" ? http://www.marketskeptics.com/2009/12/2010-food-crisis-for-dummies.html

Top of his argument for why there will be a shortage of food in 2010 with catastrophic climate change (hottest summer in recorded history in US, destructive wild fires in Russia wiped out 1/3 of its grain crop, foods in Pakistan & China that wiped out large percentage of their rice crops), and the most recent USDA surprise announcement of a reduction of the corn production projection by 3.8% that sending shock waves through Wall Street.   

Voila! There you have why food prices are going up.    Walmart use to have the most reasonable prices, but they have also started raising there prices.   I don't shop there anymore.    I've been shopping at a discount grocer for several months now and taking the opportunity to stock up on  very cheap canned goods.    Hopefully, by the time they raise their prices I'll have enough food stocked to last thru the winter.    During the winter I'll look into newer ways to gather food be it resorting to hunting, becomes friends with a farmer, and learn how/when to plant some seeds that I have.

ewilkerson's picture
ewilkerson

I agree with the weather reasons, too.  Forgot  those.  That makes weather, excessive monetary policy, and misuse of corn to make ethanol to put in cars.

ewilkerson's picture
ewilkerson

I agree Ipowell that weather is a big factor, too.  That makes weather, excessice monetary policy, and corn into ethanol to burn in cars.  Wait until climate change really takes hold.

land2341's picture
land2341

I completely agree with everyone about why prices are going up.  The question I have is how uneven the price increases are.  "artisan bread" that others are claiming at $3 or more is $1.49 a loaf here.  Cheaper than the Wonder if its really bread bread.  Some meat is going up some is going down.   So,  I did some digging.

Got the chance to talk to a supermarket distribution manager.  It was enlightening to say the least.

He said things were different based on region.  Our region has not been nearly as hard hit as others,  but it has taken a hit. 

Sales were down in the supermarket where I shop by between $5,000 and $8,000 a DAY.

Deflationary pressures were still hitting harder than inflationary pressures.  Many products and brand names are going to be losing their shelf

space as their products are not moving briskly enough.  He said that particular store was throwing out the starbucks products (there is a

seattles best IN the store but starbucks was on the shelf)  and giving that shelf space over to cheaper coffee related products.

He said if there was anything to stock up on now it was coffee and chocolate.  People still buy those and the inflationary pressures on them

are hitting faster.  He advised me to wait until the holiday sales came in early November to stock up on flour and yeast.  But, he said that

then I should really stock up as those prices should be pushing upward come January.

But, his main point was that deflationary pressures were stronger right now.  Lowered supply was being met by lower demand so prices

weren't really going anywhere.  

He speculated  -  and he emphasized that this was really his opinion - that prices would stay stagnant overall until or unless fuel prices

really began jumping.  Then, he said prices will have to go up OR there will be supply issues as people will be unwilling to ship far if prices

are not meeting the cost of the shipping.  

At the end of it all he asked to join our barter circle.....

Just thought I'd share.  I am in the New York to DC sales region  covers parts of Maryland and Ohio too.

gonzy's picture
gonzy

I recently bought dyy as a hedge check it out.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments