Seven Principles of Sound Public Policy

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
investorzzo's picture
investorzzo
Seven Principles of Sound Public Policy

The seven principles are these:

• Free people are not equal, and equal people are not free.
  • What belongs to you, you tend to take care of;
    what belongs to no one or everyone tends to fall into disrepair.
  • Sound policy requires that we consider long-run effects and all people, not simply short-run effects and a few people.
  • If you encourage something, you get more of it; if you discourage something, you get less of it.
  • Nobody spends somebody else’s money as carefully as he spends his own.
  • Government has nothing to give anybody except what it first takes from somebody, and a government that’s big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you’ve got.
  • Liberty makes all the difference in the world.
  • .......More on these themes.....

http://www.mackinac.org/article.aspx?ID=3832

cannotaffordit's picture
cannotaffordit
Re: Seven Principles of Sound Public Policy

Investorzzo,

I have always like these principles, and believe in them strongly.  What I'd love to see is a set of principles for "Sound Corporate Policy."   Surely, there must be more than just one that says "Get all you can for yourself and to hell with everybody else."  It's my personal belief that the real evil of corporations (especially financial ones) is that they do not understand, or if they do understand they ignore, that they have some social responsibilities....toward their employees, their communities and the Earth itself.

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

Sound Libertarian, or "Classical Liberal", principles, of which I am in full agreement.

Some other useful resources which I enjoy:

The Cato Institute: http://www.cato.org/

The Ludwig von Mises Institute: http://www.mises.org/

The Libertarian Party: http://www.LP.org/

Ron Paul's Campaign for Liberty: http://www.campaignforliberty.com/

investorzzo's picture
investorzzo
Ben A wrote:

Investorzzo,

I have always like these principles, and believe in them strongly.  What I'd love to see is a set of principles for "Sound Corporate Policy."   Surely, there must be more than just one that says "Get all you can for yourself and to hell with everybody else."  It's my personal belief that the real evil of corporations (especially financial ones) is that they do not understand, or if they do understand they ignore, that they have some social responsibilities....toward their employees, their communities and the Earth itself.

Ben, I also think that companies are completely short sided when it comes to company objectives. I always like to look at Apple to think different. They look at the longterm and environment for stability of the company. They realize that good public perception goes along way in keeping the company growing. The Japanese also have a good longterm view of health and profitability. Although I think that corporate over everything else is a bit extreme on their part. Companies need to get over the us verses them (employees) mentality. Until they realize that the greatest asset they have is the employee and not just give it lip service, we will have continued destructive outcomes.

My ideal work life would be fostering education and new ideas, not to mention guest speakers to inspire everyone. Not the harrasment and intimidation that now permeates most companies. Employers need to realize that keeping people happy improves competition, with new ideas and productivity. Lessons high turnover that bad companies foster. You treat people like children, they act like children. I also notice that large companies seem to lack attention to detail, have way to much overhead. Most of this is redundant and unnecessary. Good ol'boy mentality and leadership is compromised  by to little of the real information getting to those that make decisions. Nor is the ideas that come from the lower levels of the company shown any recognition. It's the same thing we fight with those who are in roles of power. Wanting to stay there at  any cost.  Looking at subordinates as lesser people and not shown respect. But I also realize that employees have to work hard and educate themselfs for the better position and not have it handed to them. But in a lot of companies it's who you know, not what you know. Leadership starts from the top and works it's way threw the ranks. Either it's working and fostering a better worklife or it's corrosive and destructive and leads to major longterm outcomes.

As for the banks and government - it needs a major overhaul!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments