setting up clean energy municipality in Mansfield, Ct.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
mimbck's picture
mimbck
setting up clean energy municipality in Mansfield, Ct.

hi.  i am part of a citizen group that has begun discussing setting up a clean energy municipality in our town.... mansfield center, ct.  we met with the town manager and our sustainability coordinator, both who are willing to consider it.  they asked me to research information about how to go about doing it.  it would be great to have someone who has done or is in the process of doing this, come down and speak to us, as i have no idea how to get started.  is there anyone out there that can give advice or contacts to help us? miriam kurland

sevenmmm's picture
sevenmmm
Re: setting up clean energy municipality in Mansfield, Ct.
mimbck wrote:

hi.  i am part of a citizen group that has begun discussing setting up a clean energy municipality in our town.... mansfield center, ct.  we met with the town manager and our sustainability coordinator, both who are willing to consider it.  they asked me to research information about how to go about doing it.  it would be great to have someone who has done or is in the process of doing this, come down and speak to us, as i have no idea how to get started.  is there anyone out there that can give advice or contacts to help us? miriam kurland

Here is my advice: it is a waste of time. As soon as everyone concerned realizes they have to give up funding heat for the public pool, or a new bridge for vehicle traffic, or roof repairs on a public building, on and on and on, they will not allocate the numbers to what it is going to take (money for insulating, sealing, solar heating, solar electric, wind turbines, ect.).

Just my opinion, based on experience, sorry.

TNdancer's picture
TNdancer

The cleanest, greenest, bestest kilowatt is the one not used.

First place to start is conservation.  Find out what they use NOW, and when you figure out out to cut that in half, then you'll know 2 things:

1.  They're serious about it.

2. They're ready to begin looking at alternative ways to produce the power they need.....after, of course, they cut some more use.....ahahahaaaaa

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater

You might want to look into a waste-to-energy plant like those that are popular in Europe. We have one near where I lived until recently (in Nssau County, Long Island New York) and it was a cash generator in both tipping fees (fees paid to drop off garbage) and metal recycling. They even made money disposing of things like illegal drugs and guns for the police, and incinerating infectious medical wastes. It heats things to 2,000 degrees F and filters out the polutants. It more than pays for itself.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments