Serious question regarding affordable Water Filters- need help please

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
JuanGalt's picture
JuanGalt
Serious question regarding affordable Water Filters- need help please

Hello Folks,

Wondering if you can help me out with something.

I live in a major metropolition area in the southwest, in the middle of a large city near the downtown area. I'm pretty sure the local tap water is not very good. In fact probably poor. I live in an apartment building so I don't have total control of the access to the wate fed into the building.

I currently use a PUR water filter for my refrigerator as my main source of water. I know that helps with removing some of the impurities and perhaps filtering out some of the chemicals but it is not a great solution. I know that it does not do anything about the flouride (very toxic and bad for you) and likely not much about the chlorine I think.

I'm aware that there are some great reverse osmosis systems out there but they are usually very expensive. Additionally, I have seen some pretty elaborate systems for distilling water as well.

My budget does not allow for spending hundreds and hundreds and certainly not thousands of dollars on the best or safest solutions.

At the same time, I understand that most of the cheap or inexpensive solutions are ineffective or require soem rather creative and laborous work.

Are there any solutions in the middle? I'm looking for something that, although maybe not perfect, is at least better than what I am currently doing.

Is there a solution that is not too expensive or that simply requires a reasonable amount of prep and work?

I'm sure other folks are probably in the same boat. I would really appreciate some help on this topic and pointers in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

JG  

SailAway's picture
SailAway
Re: Serious question regarding affordable Water Filters- need he

JuanGalt,

I had this Pelican PC600 installed a couple of month ago. It was recommended to me by a friend. It costs $749 and I think I spent ~$300 to get it installed. I'm happy with it so far.

http://www.waterfilter-usa.com/pelican-pc600-premium-whole-house-water-filter-13-bathrooms-p-267.html

JuanGalt's picture
JuanGalt
Thanks SailAway but I live in an apartment...

Don't think I can use a whole house water filter for an apartment. Or can you?

I know you can get one for the entire apartment building but of course the ownership won't spring for that and it's difficult to get an entire apartment community to agree to split the cost for one.

Am I missing something here.

I was think of something better either for the refrigerator, faucet or some separate system thant was not to expensive.

Anybodyelse have any other ideas?

Thanks SailAway, I'll keep that one in mind if and when I move to a house.

JG

tictac1's picture
tictac1
Gotcha covered

OK, I've been running two different RO systems for a couple years now.  The first came with a pressure tank and three pre-filters before the RO membrane.  It's still going, the water it puts out measures at 30 ppm disolved solids.  In other words, pretty darn clean.  The second system i bought has an additional resin filter on the end, it puts out water that's 5 ppm, almost as pure as distilled.

Both these systems cost me a little over $100 on eBay.  The second system, though it does not have a pressure tank, can be hooked up to a garden hose, making it very portable.

For under $100, you are looking at counter-top style purifiers.  I am unaware of ANY counter-top style filters that remove fluoride, you need a special cartridge for an RO unit to remove it all.  Chlorine is easily removed via charcoal.

My recommendation is a small RO system.  It will remove about 80% of the flouride as-is.  Here's a link to the same one I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reverse-Osmosis-6-stage-filter-system-Model-D756CTB-/150661382602?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item23141e41ca

JuanGalt's picture
JuanGalt
Thanks TicTac1...That sounds like a potential solution!

I'll definitely check that out!

A good system, maybe not perfect, that can work for someone that lives in an apartment building and has a total cost of less than $200 would be ideal. 

I've never bought through ebay but it sounds like you had a good experience.

I'll follow that link and review the ebay deals. Thanks.

JG

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Another consideration....
JuanGalt wrote:

I'll definitely check that out!

A good system, maybe not perfect, that can work for someone that lives in an apartment building and has a total cost of less than $200 would be ideal. 

I've never bought through ebay but it sounds like you had a good experience.

I'll follow that link and review the ebay deals. Thanks.

JG

If portability is a factor for you, MSR and Katadyn make a very solid series of portable hiker filter systems.  I am an avid hiker and camper and won't go anywhere without my Katadyn Hiker Pro.  Ligthweight, durable and very easy to use. 

It might be a bit cumbersome filtering water at home, but if you have to bug out on short notice, you just toss it in your pack and roll.  EBay has decent prices for the MSR and Katadyns, but if you keep an eye out for specials at Bass Pro, REI, or CampMor you can do better than EBay.  The Hiker Pro and replacement filter are both on sale at CampMor right now at a pretty decent savings.

JuanGalt's picture
JuanGalt
Thanks DIAP... I'll certainly check out the portable options

sounds like Katadyn Hike Pro is a good portable solution. Just need to shop for best price.

I have one of those Bobble water bottles but I doubt it does much.

I'll check out the deals at CampMor.

Still need to settle on a pretty good but relatively affordable faucet mounted, refrigerator-installed or seperate filter system at home. Live in an apartment building in an area known to have poor water quality. House filters or expensive and elaborate systems are unfortunately not an option.

Thanks!

katyan's picture
katyan
Berkey tabletop water filters

You may want to consider the Big Berkey tabletop filter for drinking/cooking water. It has a larger capacity than those designed for camping, but is small enough to pack up whenever you move in the future. Berkey has a great reputation and their filters are used by international aid organizations around the world.

The stainless steel model with two filter candles starts at $228 on Berkey's website (http://www.berkeyfilters.com) and they now have a less expensive plastic model. You can also find good deals if you shop around. I saw a special discount offer for CM readers posted from a vendor not long ago...not sure if it's still in effect, though.

If you are also concerned about your bath water, there are inexpensive filters which can be installed directly to your showerhead. Of course, they won't remove as many contaminants as the filters designed for drinking water, but they do help significantly.

RNcarl's picture
RNcarl
What about St. Paul Mercantile?

Try this link:

http://www.stpaulmercantile.com/index.php?action=store&item=Bucket17

There are even directions on how to build the filter. Can't get much easier (or cheaper) than this. 

JuanGalt's picture
JuanGalt
Thanks RN Carl

Trying to identify a comprehensive but cost effective solution for drinking, cooking and bath water. One that works for apartment living and that is easy to transport as I move around or at least not too expensive in case I need to ditch it.

YoungEntrepreneur's picture
YoungEntrepreneur
How about trying home delivery of spring water?

Not sure of the cost effectiveness versus buying a higher end filter that removes fluoride but seems like a good option.

In the long-term I think the home delivery would probably cost more.

Sparkletts, Arrowhead and others still offer the service I believe.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
YoungEntrepreneur wrote: Not
YoungEntrepreneur wrote:

Not sure of the cost effectiveness versus buying a higher end filter that removes fluoride but seems like a good option.

In the long-term I think the home delivery would probably cost more.

Sparkletts, Arrowhead and others still offer the service I believe.

Delivery would cost more in more ways than dollars and cents.  The problems with home delivery are:

1.  Dependency upon "someone" else instead of developing resiliency.

2.  Delivery trucks burn oil.  As petro derived fuel sources dwindle, the price will be likely be passed along to the consumer.  Water powered water delivery trucks would be cool (literally and figuratively).

Paying the up front cost for a (portable or easily relocatable) system(s) that secures access to clean and safe drinking and potable water is worth it IMO.

And as a disclaimer, flouride is way down the list of "Things In The World I Am Worried About".  It is below "Getting hit with space junk reentry".

pj619's picture
pj619
Kitchen Counter H2O Filter

Try this link to Mercola.  http://waterfilters.mercola.com/  If I lived in an apt. I would just use a kitchen counter filter.  I have a reverse osmosis under the sink from Costco.  It was very reasonable, but you have to remember to add minerals back in that the R/O takes out.  R/O strips the good and the bad.  You can buy a bottle of minerals at a health food store and just add the 20 or so drops into your water as you drink it.  Hope this helps. 

tictac1's picture
tictac1
RO/distilled

There is no need to add minerals to RO, deionized, or distilled water, that's a myth.  While the mineral content is extremely low to non-existent, most of your minerals come from your food.

http://www.healthcenteronline.com/ahc/water/what-other-doctors-say-about-water.html

On the flouride issue, it depends on where you live, some areas have such high levels of flouride it causes disease.  I know of no one that's been hit by space junk, so it should be higher on your list...:)

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/diseases/fluorosis/en/

Before you buy anything, get an idea what contaminants are in your water, and research what each type of filtration/processing can remove...

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Lottie Williams
tictac1 wrote:

On the flouride issue, it depends on where you live, some areas have such high levels of flouride it causes disease.  I know of no one that's been hit by space junk, so it should be higher on your list...:) 

I will indeed move space junk strikes higher on my list. 

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2009/01/dayintech_0122

It must have been launched by a Longhorn fan.....

JuanGalt's picture
JuanGalt
Thanks tictac1...

Indeed a reverse osmosis water filter that filters out fluoride and chlorine in addtion to impurities is what I'm looking for. I'd prefer something portable but if a good filter that makes sense to simply attach to a kitchen counter top is significantoy cheaper then I may go that route.

I have a very good diet so I'm not concerned with mineral content. Just want the toxins, especially fluroide, out.

I live in a large metro area in the southwest and am pretty sure my water sucks. I currently use a basic filter, nothing fancy and nothing that addresses fluoride and higher level of filtration for undesirable water contents. Thanks.

JG

ao's picture
ao
The definitive discourse on fluoridation

It's all about our precious bodily fluids.

tictac1's picture
tictac1
awesome

A confirmed space junk hit AND a Dr. Strangelove reference, all in one thread...:)

Juan, I'll bet if you do some diggin' you might come up with a water analysis online for your area.  My town has their 2010 test results posted in PDF format, I use it for my gardening efforts, since it's drawn from a well in the same aquifer as mine about a mile away.  As a general rule of thumb, if it doesn't taste good, it isn't!

Try entering into google "2010 water quality report (insert your city name here)".  Then you will know what contaminants you are dealing with, and thus, which filtration system will work best for the $$$.

Now, about that recall code...

JuanGalt's picture
JuanGalt
Reco on any good kitchen sink mounted RO water filters?

Hell CM.com community,

I'm looking for a good and industrious reverse osmosis water filter that can filter out fluoride & chlorine out of the poor water supply typically found in most major metro areas.

Seeking one that can be attached to kitchen sink so I can use it for both drinking water and washing fruits & vegetables. Ideally, I'd like to find one that's on sale.

Berkey and Katadyn water filters are typically recommended but not sure either offers what I'm looking for.

Any help or suggestions here? Thanks.

JG

Bananacarrot's picture
Bananacarrot
RNcarl wrote: Try this
RNcarl wrote:

Try this link:

There are even directions on how to build the filter. Can't get much easier (or cheaper) than this. 

Does anyone know if these filters from St. Paul Mercantile remove fluoride in water?  (I've read that a lot of filters don't)

Bananacarrot's picture
Bananacarrot
RNcarl wrote: Try this
RNcarl wrote:

Try this link:

Does anyone know if these filters from St. Paul Mercantile remove fluoride in water?  (I've read that a lot of filters don't)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments