Serious Freeze Dried Food Shortage

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
dshields's picture
dshields
Serious Freeze Dried Food Shortage

Hi,

I went to order some freeze dried food and got a big surprise.  You can't buy any.  Mountain House says it is shipping all its product to retailers so it is not taking orders from people.  Nitro-pak, the largest Mountain House retailer, says they are not accepting orders from people at Mountain Houses's direct request.  So, where is all the food going - people are not allowed to buy any ?  All I can think of is the government is buying it all.  Seems pretty serious.

http://www.mountainhouse.com/

http://www.nitro-pak.com/shipping-update.php

Any ideas ?

txgirl69's picture
txgirl69
some resources

I have been buying f/d and dehydrated food like a fiend the last 3 weeks. I ordered from:

Homeland Preparedness - already received it

Pleasant Hill Grain - already received it (I order meats, cheese, butter and ghee from here)

Survival Acres - it took a couple of weeks, but it shipped today

The Ready Store - has not shipped, yet

Dehydrated Food Storage - again, it took a couple of weeks processing, but it shipped today

Ready Depot - shipped today

You might try some of these. I've run into a few places that didn't have diddly-squat left. - Buy it while you can, soon it may be better than gold.

Rita

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Emergency Essentials has it.....
dshields wrote:

Any ideas ?

dshields -

I get mine from Emergency Essentials and have had no problems with availability.  In addition to Mountain House, they have Provident Pantry and Yoders products.

Emergency Essentials site:  http://beprepared.com/Default.asp?

dshields's picture
dshields
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:
dshields wrote:

Any ideas ?

dshields -

I get mine from Emergency Essentials and have had no problems with availability.  In addition to Mountain House, they have Provident Pantry and Yoders products.

Emergency Essentials site:  http://beprepared.com/Default.asp?

this link has the following notice -

Get Special Offers from
Emergency Essentials

Home » Food Storage » Food Storage - Freeze Dried Foods » Freeze Dried Food by Brand » Mountain House® Freeze Dried Foods

Mountain House® Freeze Dried Foods

Mountain House Can Notice:

Due to a recent increase in demand, Mountain House has asked all distributors to temporarily stop taking new orders for Mountain House cans. Mountain House’s backlog is so large that they have stopped supplying all distributors with new orders for the time being. They have committed to fill all of our previously placed orders; therefore, we continue to receive regular shipments from Mountain House. Customer orders that have already been placed with Emergency Essentials will be filled as the product arrives.

Emergency Essentials is included in a small group of distributors that will be able to start ordering more Mountain House cans when they are available. We don’t know how long this will take; however, if you would like to be among the first to be notified when this happens, please go to our website, BePrepared.com, and sign up for our e-mail newsletter (located toward the top of every page). We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and we hope to receive word from Mountain House soon.

Sincerely,
Emergency Essentials, Inc

Other companies products seem to be available but I hav never had any of their products.  Have you checked out these other products ?  How do they compare to mountain house ?

txgirl69's picture
txgirl69
product comparisons

I've done a lot of research on the differences btw freeze dried and dehydrated shelf lives - which is what your looking at with MH. All of their products are FD, so they last to infinity. Dehydration is a different process, getting better all the time, but the items have slightly different ageing characteristics. They can still last from 10-25 years, depending on what it is.....

I feel confident enough in what I've read that I've ordered from all of the places mentioned. I have more products that are not MH, than products that are MH. I have lots of Provident Pantry, Rainy Day and Alpine Aire foods. I buy canned cheese, butter, ghee and Yoders canned meats. Plus, canned goods from the local grocery.

My concern about MH foods is appetite fatigue. We try them before we buy a lot of anything, just to make sure we can choke it down. Everything they have is an entree in itself. I prefer to cook my own meals, but use those for barter or emergencies when cooking is not an option.

~ Rita

joesxm2011's picture
joesxm2011
I tried two of the Provident

I tried two of the Provident Pantry items that I bought - pork sausage crumbles and FD green pepper dices.  They were better than I was expecting, but I do not have a lot of experience with FD or dehydrated food.

I also bought some of the mylar bags, O2 absorbers and buckets with lids from Emergency Essentials and packed some rice and beans.  The process went smoothly using an iron and aluminum level to heat seal the bags.  In retrospect I wish that I had bought less pre-packed and packed more of my own.

Joe

WendyT's picture
WendyT
420,000 meals ordered by White House

I read this on the internet recently.  I thought I read it here, in a Daily Digest.  Will see if I can find the report.

Wendy

WendyT's picture
WendyT
FEMA National Level Exercise 2011 scheduled for May 201

I'm guessing the meals are for this.  (Will continue to look for report I saw on meals ordered.)

National Level Exercise 2011 (NLE 2011)

FACT SHEET

National Level Exercise 2011 (NLE 2011) is scheduled for May 2011. The purpose of the exercise is to prepare and coordinate a multiple-jurisdictional integrated response to a national catastrophic event.

NLE 2011 is designated as a Tier I National Level Exercise. Tier I exercises (formerly known as the Top Officials exercise series or TOPOFF) are conducted annually in accordance with the National Exercise Program (NEP), which serves as the nation’s overarching exercise program for planning, organizing, conducting and evaluating national level exercises. The NEP was established to provide the U.S. government, at all levels, exercise opportunities to prepare for catastrophic crises ranging from terrorism to natural disasters.

NLE 2011 is a White House directed Congressionally-mandated exercise that includes the participation of all appropriate federal department and agency senior officials, their deputies and staff; and key operational elements. NLE 2011 will focus on regional catastrophic response and recovery activities between federal, regional, state, tribal, local and private sector participants.
Exercise Focus

NLE 2011 will simulate the catastrophic nature of a major earthquake in the central United States region of the New Madrid Seismic Zone (NMSZ). The year 2011 is the bicentennial anniversary of the 1811 New Madrid earthquake, for which the NMSZ is named. NLE 2011 will be the first NLE to simulate a natural hazard.

NLE 2011 activities will take place at command posts, emergency operation centers and other locations to include federal facilities in the Washington D.C. area and federal, regional, state, tribal, local and private sector facilities in the eight member states of the Central United States Earthquake Consortium (CUSEC). The eight member states of CUSEC encompass four different FEMA regions: Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee (FEMA Region IV); Illinois and Indiana (FEMA Region V); Arkansas (FEMA Region VI); and Missouri (FEMA Region VII).
Exercise Objectives

Through a comprehensive evaluation process, the exercise will assess response and recovery capabilities both nationally and regionally. The exercise is designed to validate the following capabilities:

* Communications
    * Critical resource logistics and distribution
    * Mass care (sheltering, feeding and related services)
    * Medical surge
    * Citizen evacuation and shelter-in-place
    * Emergency public information and warning
    * Emergency operations center (EOC) management
    * Long term recovery

Validating the Homeland Security System

Exercises such as NLE 2011 are an important component of national preparedness, helping to build an integrated federal, state, tribal, local and private sector capability to manage a catastrophic event; and rapidly and effectively respond to and recover from any major disaster that occurs.

The functional exercise offers agencies and jurisdictions a way to test their plans and skills in a real-time, realistic environment and to gain the in-depth knowledge that only experience can provide. Participants will exercise response and recovery functions that are critical to responding to a catastrophic event. Lessons learned from the exercise will provide valuable insights to guide future planning for disasters and other emergencies.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Modified: Friday, 28-Jan-2011 11:54:34 EST

http://www.fema.gov/media/fact_sheets/nle2011_fs.shtm

WendyT's picture
WendyT
FEMA put out a Request for

FEMA put out a Request for Information (RFI) on Jan. 20, 2011 to .....

...identify sources of supply for meals in support of disaster relief efforts based on a catastrophic disaster event within the New Madrid Fault System for a survivor population of 7M to be utilized for the sustainment of life during a 10-day period of operations.   FEMA is considering the following specifications (14M meals per day):...

Three days later (Jan. 23) it cancelled the RFI. 

Notice they were talking some big numbers... 14 Million meals per day for 10 days!  Orders of magnitude larger than I saw mention of elsewhere.

Source:  https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&tab=core&id=eaea338540...

WendyT's picture
WendyT
Mountain House says it's not supplying government

Interesting.

Dear Valued Customers:

In response to the recent concern of FEMA purchasing Mountain House products:
FEMA posted the following RFI (Request for Information) on 1-20-2011. In the RFI, FEMA was asking for information for 14M/day for 10 days. They then withdrew the RFI on 1-27-11. The RFI is a request for information only. It is not an order. In addition, this RFI was never sent to Mountain House. This is to confirm that Mountain House is not supplying FEMA or any other Government agency with Mountain House #10 cans or pouches.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) procures and stores pre-packaged commercial meals to support readiness capability for immediate distribution to disaster survivors routinely. The purpose of this Request for Information is to identify sources of supply for meals in support of disaster relief efforts based on a catastrophic disaster event within the New Madrid Fault System for a survivor population of 7M to be utilized for the sustainment of life during a 10-day period of operations.

As you know we have removed #10 cans from our website temporarily. The reason for this is sales of #10 cans have continued to increase. OFD is allocating as much production capacity as possible to this market segment, but we must maintain capacity for our other market segments as well.

Currently our inventory for both cans and pouches is all being shipped to our retailers. Once all of our retailers are back in stock 100%, we will put items back in stock on our own website. For our #10 cans, we do have a small number of dealers that you can contact for future ordering of our food storage items. Although they are not taking any orders at this time, we do suggest you contact them to see how you can be notified as soon as they are in a position to once again accept new orders. For a list of those dealers, please contact us at [email protected]

We expect this situation to be necessary for several months although this isn’t a guarantee. We will update this information as soon as we know more. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your patience. We sincerely hope you will continue to be Mountain House customers in the future.

Oregon Freeze Dry

dshields's picture
dshields
txgirl69 wrote: I've done a
txgirl69 wrote:

I've done a lot of research on the differences btw freeze dried and dehydrated shelf lives - which is what your looking at with MH. All of their products are FD, so they last to infinity. Dehydration is a different process, getting better all the time, but the items have slightly different ageing characteristics. They can still last from 10-25 years, depending on what it is.....

I feel confident enough in what I've read that I've ordered from all of the places mentioned. I have more products that are not MH, than products that are MH. I have lots of Provident Pantry, Rainy Day and Alpine Aire foods. I buy canned cheese, butter, ghee and Yoders canned meats. Plus, canned goods from the local grocery.

My concern about MH foods is appetite fatigue. We try them before we buy a lot of anything, just to make sure we can choke it down. Everything they have is an entree in itself. I prefer to cook my own meals, but use those for barter or emergencies when cooking is not an option.

~ Rita

Good point about the cook your own so get ingredents instead of combos.  I did not think about that.  I will take your advise.

dshields's picture
dshields
I do not like it

I do not like the sound of it.  I am not really a conspirsiy dude like a lot of people who visit this site are.  However, I do not trust the government.  I really do not think they are too worried about an earthquake in MO.  A financial disaster is much more likely.  They would NEVER come out and state they were buying up food for an impending financial disaster.  An earthquake in MO would be be an easy cover.

ao's picture
ao
txgirl69 wrote: I've done a
txgirl69 wrote:

txgirl69,

Your research differs considerably from mine.  Everything I've learned says freeze-died foods have a maximum shelf life of 25-30 years.  To me, that's a lot different than infinity.

land2341's picture
land2341
C'mon,  the government was

UndecidedC'mon,  the government was planning this for May of 2011??  They're planning for what happens after the Rapture occurs on May 21st!  Maybe they guess they'll be left with just DC and Wall Street?? 

(I know I'll be here,  if you have a good storage and you think you're going, can you leave me the keys to your house??)

Poet's picture
Poet
Sounds Like Spam
safetyguyz wrote:

Here is a link to a company that will allow you to purchase long term food products at wholesale. The products have great taste and they will send you a free sample of 9 servings if you pay the shipping which is less than $7. Many of the products have a 15+ year shelf life. Not sure if links are allowed here, but here goes www.5298.freefood2go.com

Safetyguyz

What you haven't done is provided honest disclosure is that you are profiting off the link, which is unique to you, "5298". It doesn't sound right.

Poet

dshields's picture
dshields
good places

I ordered a meat sampler from the following place:

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/canned_meat_canned_chicken_canned_turke...

A number of 13 oz cans for 26 bucks.  The food is actually pretty good and it arrived in a week and a half.  This stuff over noodles or rice is good.  I would rate them as a good company with decent products at a reasonable price.  Not bad.

Travlin's picture
Travlin
dshields wrote: I ordered a
dshields wrote:

I ordered a meat sampler from the following place:

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/canned_meat_canned_chicken_canned_turke...

A number of 13 oz cans for 26 bucks.  The food is actually pretty good and it arrived in a week and a half.  This stuff over noodles or rice is good.  I would rate them as a good company with decent products at a reasonable price.  Not bad.

Dshields

Thanks for the link.  I've been looking for a source of canned meat, butter, etc.  These folks have everything needed for food storage.

Travlin 

albinorhino's picture
albinorhino
Another source for canned meats

http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-Canned-Meats,-Cheese-&-Butter/Categories

Twelve 28-oz. cans for $84.95. We tried each of these products via a sample pack and found them to be of excellent quality, and subsequently purchased several cases. If you can get on their email list, you will receive discount coupons that, generally, apply to anything purchased via their website. Demand is picking up though, our last order took a couple of weeks before it shipped from the manufacturer.

txgirl69's picture
txgirl69
Infinity and beyond.....

AO,

I apologize for the above misleading statement. It was an attempt at humor regarding some of the information I've seen on shelf lives.....The MH website talks about their 25-30 year life span and then, in the same breath, will say they have done in house studies that reach well beyond that time frame.

I realize the written word loses something in translation.

Rita

txgirl69's picture
txgirl69
canned meat

BTW,

I just ordered 6 more cans of bacon from Pleasant Hill Grain, along with 6 cans of Yoders Pork Sausage, 6 cans of Pork Chunks and 6 cans their Hamburger from Ready Depot. I also ordered a case of FD pork chops from MH.

I hope this stuff is good!!Embarassed

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments