Serf Uprising on the Kennedy Plantation

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
machinehead's picture
machinehead
Serf Uprising on the Kennedy Plantation

Well, there they go again! Just as in Virginia and New Jersey, off-year election voters in heavily-Democratic Massachusetts took out their frustrations on the Democratic Senate candidate, electing the Republican instead.

Two things make the Massachusetts result particularly poignant. For one thing, the legislative seat at stake was regarded as the 'Kennedy seat' -- the influential family's dynastic domain since 1962. Secondly, Massachusetts has been serving as a pilot program for the lovely 'health care at gunpoint' system featured in the pending national bill. Either you pony up to a third-party payer for costly coverage, or you get fined like a common criminal. Earth to Washington: the serfs don't like this!

But other things surely were at play, such as the high-handed way in which the standard conference committee procedure was simply bypassed for the pending health bill. The legislative sausage-making got so ugly that the Democratic caucus felt obliged to do it in secret behind closed doors, adding hundreds of pages of squalid side deals to the already-inscrutable 2,000-page original bill. And then there's the lingering disgust over the LooterFest II bankster bailout, one of the first official acts of this compromised administration.

Doubtless there are many ways to provide broadly-available, affordable health care. Quite a few countries are doing it right now. But forcing serfs to hand over their money to the politically-powerful insurance industry, which in turn will pay cost-plus 'customary rates' to the cartelized hospital, physician and Big Pharma industries on their behalf, is no reform at all. Neither is reinforcing the system of employer-provided health care, which means you lose coverage when you lose your job. The incoherent dog's breakfast of initiatives in the current national legislation only entrenched this dysfunctional system, and virtually ensured that uncontrolled costs would run away even more rapidly.

Of course, it's impossible to punish one statist party by empowering another. One need only recall G. W. Bush's Medicare prescription drug coverage act of 2003, a massive Big Pharma giveaway which added $10 trillion to Usgov's insolvency at one whack. However, in the spirit of gladiatorial entertainment, it can be rewarding to witness one statist being used as a human battering ram to smash another.

CoolMore, please, kind sirs! Cool

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Re: Serf Uprising on the Kennedy Plantation

+1 MH.

But if the multi-term Republican elected officials are sitting smugly, chortling over the Massachssetts results, they may find themselves on the outside looking in after their next election.

I am pleased with the results because with any luck, this ridiculous entitlement program being pitched as Health Care Reform won't be able to toss another trillion dollars of obligated debt onto the backs of Americans.

The tribe has spoken, get off the island. 

A scene to be hopefully repeated in 'tribal councils' to come.

joemanc's picture
joemanc
Quote:

Just as in Virginia and New Jersey, off-year election voters in heavily-Democratic Massachusetts took out their frustrations on the Democratic Senate candidate, electing the Republican instead.

We'll find out in November for sure if this is an uprising against Democrats or incumbents in general. I keep seeing favorability numbers for Republicans at rock bottom levels.

I can't find his post, but Mish implied that gridlock is good right now, until we can get more Libertarian minded voices in DC, names likes Rand Paul and Peter Schiff to name a few. I'll take gridlock, for now.

Davos's picture
Davos

Super read. I was unaware that Mass was a pilot pay or get fined state. Pathetic.

Grayson, who I respected up until I found out he was for this absurdity (Health Care) said this in a recent email:

What we HAVE now is government of the lobbyists, by the lobbyists, and for the lobbyists (should have read corporations).

What we WANT now is government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

This is utter and absolute absurdity. We should NOT want what our Constitution provides.  David Walker is 100% correct, our BIGGEST deficit is a leadership deficit.

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown

+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!  MH

And Dogs is right.  If Republicans mistake this for support for them, they will be in for a big surprise in Nov.   

docmims's picture
docmims

I'm for kicking them all out -- republicans and democratic incumbents.

Is Rockefeller's senate seat up for re election this year?  THAT would be the coup against the federal reserve if we could vote him out.

Davos's picture
Davos
docmims wrote:

Is Rockefeller's senate seat up for re election this year?  THAT would be the coup against the federal reserve if we could vote him out.

+1. The only existing member I can respect is Dr. Ron Paul. The rest I can't even find moderator acceptable words for.

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Hopefully a viable third party will arise in America as the treasonous democrats and republicans both kneel behind the same masters and smother their butts with kisses. People continue being motivated to vote against candidates and parties as opposed to for anything.  Voters are disenfranchised by two party tyranny.

At least now we have hope that we are moving closer to gridlock in which nothing big can get done.

Larry 

goes211's picture
goes211

I agree with most of your sediment's but I fear that the current situation will allow the Republicans to think they can go back to business as usual.   If the Democrats get slaghtered in the next election and the Republicans gain all those seats, this country will be in a lot of trouble.  

We need incumbents in both parties to be punished and the ascension of a viable 3rd party that is more interested in liberty and a solid foundation for the future, than handouts to preferred interests.  If that does not happen, we will be better off if we get gridlock between the two parties.

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
Davos wrote:
docmims wrote:

+1. The only existing member I can respect is Dr. Ron Paul. The rest I can't even find moderator acceptable words for.

I think Ralph Nader, at this moment in history would be a better choice, though Ron Paul is very appealing from a right wing libertarian perspective. Paul's anti welfare message, could  be argued reasonably, during times of relative stability-- but during a time of 20% unemployment, lumping corporate welfare together with social welfare, in an attempt to abolish both,  would be cruel to the unemployed, and could usher in a wave of uncontrollable crime.

The new health care package, designed by legislators is a perfect example of corporate welfare at the expense of the social good. It's just amazing that the political process is so corrupt and the media coverage of it, so appallingly superficial, we don't witness the outrage unless we're online, reading Machinehead's  and other's excellent commentary. (you owe me one, MH!)Money mouth

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown
goes211 wrote:

I agree with most of your sediment's but I fear that the current situation will allow the Republicans to think they can go back to business as usual.   If the Democrats get slaghtered in the next election and the Republicans gain all those seats, this country will be in a lot of trouble.  

We need incumbents in both parties to be punished and the ascension of a viable 3rd party that is more interested in liberty and a solid foundation for the future, than handouts to preferred interests.  If that does not happen, we will be better off if we get gridlock between the two parties.

+1

If the Republicans interpret this as a desire to see them back in power under the same M.O. as 2000-2004, they all need to go as well, or like you, I prefer a disfunctional, gridlocked congress.

Mike Pilat's picture
Mike Pilat

Given that health care was right on the door step of getting rammed through, the voters in Massachusetts knew exactly what they were voting for. Above all else, this was essentially a referendum against this ridiculous bill. Far from being a vote for Republicans (or even in some ways a direct vote for Brown), this was a vote based on a specific issue - this concept doesn't seem to happen too much in America. If people had regularly voted based on specific issues that they cared about, our leadership would be a lot better than it is right now. Unfortunately, in the recent past, we have voted in the politicians with the most curb appeal, but the dumbest policies. This election is at least a partial repudiation of that mentality. As a result, all parties should be running scared, donkeys and elephants alike. The public might be catching on to the game and they're sick of getting scammed! It's easy to fool the public when the plunder coffers are full, but with 10% unemployment, average Joe has started to think a little bit more.

Without being unduly hopeful about a single election, I would point out that cultural shifts are slow to form and slow to dissipate. But once they gather steam, they tend to exert more influence on society than many, more transient phenomena. Without getting partisan, the current President's election did not represent a large cultural shift in my opinion. It represented a froth of at least somewhat misdirected anger and misplaced hope. It formed rather quickly and it seems to have lost most of its momentum already. 'Hope' and 'change' are a harder sell these days. The public demands results. But it seems that society is now taking a closer look at policies and concerning themselves less with the nuances of personality that a politician may have. That's why Brown got elected in Massachusetts. And best of all, the public is starting to realize or at least gain some true hope that they can actually influence politics in this country. When the public stops acting like serfs, they will eventually stop being treated as serfs. Hopefully we are all a part of a growing, longer term cultural trend. I won't be impatient, either. The more time it takes to form this, the longer it will last and the "smarter" the politics behind it will be.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX

Almost completely irrelevant except inasmuch as it involves Mr. Brown's victory speech:

Did anybody else get the squicks when he used the speech (in part) to pimp his daughters?  I couldn't believe my eyes.  Another proud moment in American politics...[shudder]...

Viva -- Sager

nkdroth's picture
nkdroth

I Think that was a joke??

kemosavvy's picture
kemosavvy

Incredible posts,

Maybe I should be thrilled with the concept that a message is being sent to Washington but I think for the most part the problems are once again being overlooked. I hope the voting public doesn't return to their American Idol ways after having semi-stimulated themselves by watching Fox News for a few nights. Our problems are in my opinion... unsolvable. The debts are... unpayable. The economic damage is (without a sudden reversal)... beyond short term repair. The energy crisis is being overlooked.

These are problems that need to be faced head on. This electoral victory is the equivalent of an exciting "The Apprentice" boardroom showdown. It's entertainment disguised as politics. Nothing was gained, a little bit more was lost.

When people squeal in ectasy as though the republic has been restored I feel like asking them if they also still believe in Santa Claus. They are both illusions.

Steve

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
kemosavvy wrote:

Incredible posts,

Maybe I should be thrilled with the concept that a message is being sent to Washington but I think for the most part the problems are once again being overlooked. I hope the voting public doesn't return to their American Idol ways after having semi-stimulated themselves by watching Fox News for a few nights. Our problems are in my opinion... unsolvable. The debts are... unpayable. The economic damage is (without a sudden reversal)... beyond short term repair. The energy crisis is being overlooked.

These are problems that need to be faced head on. This electoral victory is the equivalent of an exciting "The Apprentice" boardroom showdown. It's entertainment disguised as politics. Nothing was gained, a little bit more was lost.

When people squeal in ectasy as though the republic has been restored I feel like asking them if they also still believe in Santa Claus. They are both illusions.

Steve

You've rivaled other posters, Kemosavvy, with an equally well thought out post.  I agree with you, that the financial problems are unsolvable. The only light I see at the end of the tunnel is supplied by the white hot rage of Americans,  that could change the political landscape forever.

FinPro's picture
FinPro

I think the solution is possible, but will include the reneging of a great many non-financial liabilities.  Federal/State and Local government are predominently saddled by Pensions, health care and SS.  The party most distanced from the one recognized as taking care of the public sector will someday drop the axe and cut them.  Someday.

We may be headed for an independent presidential win at some point.  Could be a third party.  Up here in MA, The local  republican radio station, WTKK, already had a "where were you when..." show and they're high fivin' it.  It's phyric.  11% of MA residents are registered republicans and MA is one of 11 states now with a majority of independent voters.  Scott Brown's "the first thing I'm going to do is cut taxes.." shows voodoo economics is alive and well, without any leadership to actually cut spending.  The damage done to the democrats brand from health care is staggering.  Coakley had a tough primary, then the vacation, the "Yankee" comment, not hiring a pollster until two weeks before the election and then her generally not getting around.  "Red Sox Nation" may as well be a third party.   

The biggest travesty to me is witnessing the packaging of the crisis' cause as FNMA/FHLMC and Barney Frank?  The populist mileage this is getting is worrisome.  I recognize blood is on some hands there, but it was Martha Coakley who brought 64mm back to MA from Goldman for its missrepresenting auction rate securitites.  For the simple fact that you can not as easily tie the financial crisis up in a knot and make it the brand of those who'd regulate, we may not see things get fixed.  Please, support the Volcker Rule. 

Sam's picture
Sam

Tax feeding vermin will not solve this nation's problems. Productive intelligent people will. The idea that people who produce nothing can improve the living standards of their betters is just bizarre. If the moral midgets in DC will get the hell out of the way we can make things better.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments