Senate Bill 510 - Outlawing The Sale, Tradeing or Sharing of Home Grown Foods

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
barter's picture
barter
Senate Bill 510 - Outlawing The Sale, Tradeing or Sharing of Home Grown Foods

Dick Durbin, Senator from Illinois, introduced S510 which makes it illegal to sell, trade or share home grown food.  What are the chances of this passing in the lame duck sesssion?

wstanhall's picture
wstanhall
Re: Senate Bill 510 - Outlawing The Sale, Tradeing or ...

they can have my silver queen corn when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers

ewilkerson's picture
ewilkerson

If Congress passes such a law I'm not going to believe it.  That would be so stupid, but does anyone know any other way to describe them?  Seriously though, I doubt it would pass.

Ernest

Is there any information on why Durbin would want such a bill passed?

dshields's picture
dshields

Why would the dems want to pass such a bill ? 

horstfam's picture
horstfam

Here is a link to learn more about this bill:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-510

MarkM's picture
MarkM

Could anyone direct me to the specific area of the bill that includes the regulation of home grown food?

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Re: Senate Bill 510 - Outlawing The Sale, Trading or ...
MarkM wrote:

Could anyone direct me to the specific area of the bill that includes the regulation of home grown food?

Mark -

I couldn't find anything reading through the bill summary at the link provided in an earlier post.

In any event, there doesn't appear to be much traction with this bill - it looks like the last activity was a Committee Report almost a year ago.

And even if it does somehow pass, I'll still trade my cucumber-habanero salsa for some of JAG's nuclear green chili death sauce.

MarkM's picture
MarkM

Dogs,

I scanned the summary, as well. I didn't see anything pertaining to homegrown. Maybe there is something in the full text. I just don't have the time right now to read it. Before I get my pressures up about one more thing, I want to know it is a real concern. I overlooked the part on activity regarding the bill.

They will have to hire a few more "revenuer" types to keep you and JAG in your proper places.

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

Welcome back!  I hope more of the old timers come back soon!  

Signed:  TitanicLaughing

Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:
MarkM wrote:

Mark -

I couldn't find anything reading through the bill summary at the link provided in an earlier post.

In any event, there doesn't appear to be much traction with this bill - it looks like the last activity was a Committee Report almost a year ago.

And even if it does somehow pass, I'll still trade my cucumber-habanero salsa for some of JAG's nuclear green chili death sauce.

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
MarkM wrote:

They will have to hire a few more "revenuer" types to keep you and JAG in your proper places.

All a part of next year's jobs bill...

deggleton's picture
deggleton
ewilkerson wrote:

Is there any information on why Durbin would want such a bill passed?

I cannot answer the question as posed, but through NOFA (Northeast Organic Farming Association), I know that food safety and food security are very different agendas, and agriculture is not the word for food production.

I guess Durbin's either doing the bidding of agribusiness or trying too hard to protect people, recognizing the reliance of most on unknown/distant producers.

David

land2341's picture
land2341

There are SO many things to be genuinely worried about.  It drives me crazy that this type of willful misinterpretation and fear-mongering get more traction than any badly worded and severely misinterpreted bill does.....  

A lie travels around the world while the truth is still getting its shoes on......   Who said that??  And they said it before the internet!

littleone's picture
littleone

!

tom.'s picture
tom.

Thanks littleone, for the update

They are voting on the bill today

HERE ...  is where to find your senator to voice your opinion

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Before you all go charging off urging your Senators to vote "NO" make sure you are aware of the fact that the actual title of the bill is "Senate Bill 510: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act" and NOT "Senate Bill 510 Outlawing The Sale, Trading or Sharing of Home Grown Food"

As others have pointed out there is nothing in this bill that expressly outlaws the sale, trading or sharing of homegrown food.  Summary and full text available here:  http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-510

I am asking my Senator to vote no because I think they have bigger fish to fry and it's just another issue the Federal government will stick its nose into and screw up.

I still have tabasco, Anaheim, jalapeno and habanero peppers for TRADING or SHARING with anyone.  Cool

akamai mom's picture
akamai mom

I am very disturbed by this bill.  The Tester-Hagen amendment is being suggested to relieve very small scale food production from the expensive, cumbersome oversight that could otherwise criminalize the basic human right of cultivating their own food and saving seed.  That amendment is not for sure in the bill.  I have been trying to build support against S510.  The wording is too broad and far reaching.  Anyone with a fruit tree or backyard chickens could be deemed in violation.

Ken C's picture
Ken C
akamai mom wrote:

Anyone with a fruit tree or backyard chickens could be deemed in violation.

Even if in the near term small producers are not bothered by this provision then some bureaucrat later will interpret it so that "could be in violoation" will morph into "will be in violation".

It is best not to give the federal government ANY opportunity to limit,tax, license, restrict or otherwise control what you do.

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer

the big question - how would they enforce a bill like that?  EGP

GlennK's picture
GlennK

No need to enforce it.  Just make everyone a criminal by law.  You wouldn't tell on your neighbor would you?

Ken C's picture
Ken C
EndGamePlayer wrote:

the big question - how would they enforce a bill like that?  EGP

How do you enforce the law against running a stop sign? Do you try to catch everyone that disobeys or do you make an example out of a few so the rest get the message.

If the law is on the books the gov will use it  to their best advantage to increase the control over the people. They do not have to try to actively enforce that law. If you come the attention of the authorities for any negative reason and you happen to have some fruit trees well guess what the law gets enforced and you pay the price.

jfolta's picture
jfolta

This is from CARE Farmers dated 11/16/10.  I don't know much about it although I did call both my senators to ask them to vote for the amendments noted below.

Dear Fellow CARE Member:

Following is an Action Alert from PASA conserning Senate Bill S 510, Food Safety Modernization Act.

We know this is short notice, but please take time to read and take action.

Respectfully,

CARE Board of Directors

Excerpt taken from Natural News.com

[ <http://www.naturalnews.com/030418_Food_Safety_Modernization_Act_seeds.html>http://www.naturalnews.com/030418_Food_Safety_Modernization_Act_seeds.html ---The vote is imminent: It has been called "the most dangerous bill in the history of the United States of America." It would grant the U.S. government new authority over the public's right to grow, trade and transport any foods. This would give Big brother the power to regulate the tomato plants in your backyard. It would grant them the power to arrest and imprison people selling cucumbers at farmer's markets. It would criminalize the transporting of organic produce if you don't comply with the authoritarian rules of the federal government.

"It will become the most offensive authority against the cultivation, trade and consumption of food and agricultural products of one's choice. It will be unconstitutional and contrary to natural law or, if you like, the will of God." - Dr. Shiv Chopra, Canada Health whistleblower (<http://shivchopra.com/?page_id=2)>http://shivchopra.com/?page_id=2) ]

Please call your Senators and ask them to:

· Vote for the Manager's Amendment

· Vote for the Tester-Hagan Amendment

It's easy to call: Go to <http://www.congress.org>http://www.congress.org and type in your zip code. Click on your Senator's name, and then on the contact tab for their phone number. You can also call the Capitol Switchboard and ask to be directly connected to your Senator's office: 202-224-3121.

The message is simple: "I am a constituent of Senator___________ and I am calling to ask him/her to vote for the Manager's Amendment and the Tester-Hagan Amendment to the Food Safety Modernization Act. We need a food safety bill that cracks down on corporate bad actors without erecting new barriers to more local and regional food sourcing. Size and practice appropriate food safety regulation for small and mid-sized farms and processors is vital to economic recovery, public health, and nutritional wellbeing. "

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Ken C wrote:

If the law is on the books the gov will use it  to their best advantage to increase the control over the people. They do not have to try to actively enforce that law. If you come the attention of the authorities for any negative reason and you happen to have some fruit trees well guess what the law gets enforced and you pay the price.

ZING!  We have a winner!

I've read that in the Middle Ages many kings/queens/nobles laid down so many law and such restrictive ones that it was impossible to observe them all and make a living.  So they were "honored more in the breach than in the observance" to maim some Shakespeare.  But if, as Ken writes, you "come to the attention" of the authorities for whatever reason, you're already a criminal and easily put out of the way.  One way to quiet down the rank and file.

Viva anyway -- Sager

jpitre's picture
jpitre

Not that I am in favor of the bill - but there seems to be verbiage in it that limits the coverage of at least some of the regulation to "more than $500,000 in annual sales" and in other parts of the bill speaks to small business as not having to keep records. Anyway, it appears that the main thrust is to regulate large scale food operations. Also, it is quite some way from being in  final form, so it may not (I hope) be as terrible as it may seem on the surface

One amendment proposed includes exemptions:

"The Tester-Hagan Amendment, on the other hand, remains a real possibility. The amendment, introduced by Sen. Jon Tester (D-MT) and supported by Sen. Kay Hagan (D-NC), would exempt farms and food producers that either fit the FDA's definition of "very small business," sell most of their products directly to consumers, restaurants, or retailers within state lines or within 400 miles that have annual sales of less than half a million dollars."

Jim

akamai mom's picture
akamai mom

Our local news reported that this bill passed the Senate unanimously yesterday.

I don't see that information surfacing yet on this government tracking site, which does list the text of the bill in its entirety.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-510

I hope the Tester-Hagan Amendment does get included.

This bill is so open ended, the wording applies to anyone.

I am in agreement with the earlier posting on this thread about enforcement.  When we can all basically be living in a status deemed as criminal, it silences us.  If we resist the system in whatever way irritates the local municipality, we can be prosecuted for our crimes of growing and sharing food to the extent of having our land confiscated as the law states. There are many excellent examples of targeted prosecution.  Harassment and road blocks that are common outside a reggae event would probably yield at least as many offenders were they placed outside of Rotary fundraisers or Chamber of Commerce events (I attend these) and there could be significant driving while intoxicated arrests as well as an expired registration, etc..  Certainly, attendance would drop if the expectation is to endure a paperwork search and a flashlight in your eye upon entering or exiting an event.  There are completely different standards to which a set of laws are applied from one social group to the next.  We now have local ordinances prohibiting the ability to sleep in a vehicle, with the express purpose to control the homeless and basically run them off the island.  People are not even allowed to sleep in cars on private property.  People in distress thus become a liability for more stable people who might have the motivation to offer them refuge.  Sleeping isn't the crime; being unwanted is the transgression.  Being homeless in this expensive community happens to employed families and workers who are by no means vagrant.  Private extensions of aloha should be encouraged rather than pushed onto public entitlement programs.

If a municipality wanted to dislodge a community of 'hippies', they could execute a raid for organic food or basic gardening.  This might sound crazy, but it is consistent with arbitrary enforcement of certain laws.  In my area, organic farmers feel they are treated like marijuana growers and live in fear of busts for the campsites of their farm workers.  Meanwhile, the application of prime agricultural land is encouraged to be used as gentlemen estates, who plant a small orchard of hardwoods or barely harvested fruit and have a horse pasture, to receive agricultural tax status.  Serious farming is discouraged and basically criminalized, because it attracts the riff-raff of young, ragged, white people who are willing to do work trade and receive low wages.  The farming isn't the real problem; it is the intolerance for the type of people who are willing to do the work. Never-mind that the island imports 90% of its food.  If the work was done by compliant, immigrant Asians there would be less enforcement than toward the confident group of workers who choose a humble life out of resistance to the dominant culture.

This is all relevant to the Crash Course in that it impedes humanity's progress toward responsibly preparing for impending change.  The Food Safety Modernization Act is a step in the wrong direction and I encourage a call to our representatives to make sure the small farmer/gardener is not held to large industrial standards.

tom.'s picture
tom.

Senate Passes Overhaul of Food Safety Regulations

By GARDINER HARRIS and WILLIAM NEUMAN
Published: November 30, 2010

Despite unusual bipartisan support on Capitol Hill and a strong push from the Obama administration, the bill could still die because there might not be enough time for the usual haggling between the Senate and House of Representatives, which passed its own version last year. Top House Democrats said that they would consider simply passing the Senate version to speed approval.

COMPLETE STORY

Well, I surely hope it dies.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Senate Bill S510 (FDA Food Safety Modernization Act) Explained:

When I heard about Senate Bill s510 I was completely freaked out. The first thing I heard about it was that it makes it illegal to grow your own food. I immediately got on the phone to call my senator about how OUTRAGED I was and why was he planning on putting my grandma in jail for that cute little patch of cucumbers she grows for her canned pickles! What kind of man likes to put grandmas in JAIL HUH? In fact, I think I will just go down there and tell him what an asshole he is in person!! But then I regained some of my brain cells and remembered that MY senator probably didn’t write the bill and took a journey down the rabbit hole to see what I could find out about this bill....................

If you trade or give your food away, or sell it at farmers markets, you are no longer considered growing for personal consumption which puts you in a category as a Community Supported Agriculture supplier, or so you forget what it actually means CSA’s for short. This is a whole world of difference because now your food has to be “traceable” That means if your neighbor little sally walker has a tummy ache, you need to be held accountable for giving her those bacteria laden zucchinis. What it really means is a drive to the freshly built State Agriculture Office, to talk to the ladies who got promoted from the DMV to fill out a stack of paperwork the size of War and Peace, pay a handy little “CSA Liscensing fee” plus all the taxes and stuff of course, agree to surprise inspections, OH, and don’t forget that dollar to the blabbity blabb fund. By the way would you like to register to vote sir?

Above excerpt from the full article here:  http://laughterandliberty.com/senate-bill-s510-explained-sort-of/

The site (Laughter and Liberty) puts a light hearted spin on serious topics.  Warning - if you are allergic to hyperbole, don't read too many of the reader comments that follow the article or you will puff up like a blowfish and will need to get Epied in the thigh.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

Throw this one on the compost pile.

Looks like S510 is on pretty thin ice.

There is hope for a reprieve from Senate Bill S510, the awful, expensive, bureaucracy-expanding, federal power grab over our food supply. The reason is that the bill contains new fees, which can be regarded as taxes, and the Constitution requires all tax bills to originate in the House of Representatives. John Stanton of Roll Call reports:

By pre-empting the House's tax-writing authority, Senate Democrats appear to have touched off a power struggle with members of their own party in the House. The Senate passed the bill Tuesday, sending it to the House, but House Democrats are expected to use a procedure known as "blue slipping" to block the bill, according to House and Senate GOP aides.

The debacle could prove to be a major embarrassment for Senate Democrats, who sought Tuesday to make the relatively unknown bill a major political issue by sending out numerous news releases trumpeting its passage.

There are two possible outcomes here:

The blue slip could lead to one of two likely outcomes. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) could simply drop the issue and let the next session of Congress start from scratch, a strategy that would allow him time in the lame-duck session to tackle other last-minute priorities, such as the expiring 2001 and 2003 tax cuts, a long-term continuing resolution, an immigration bill and a repeal of the military's ban on openly gay service members.

Or he could try to force the issue in the Senate after the House passes a new version of the bill. But in order to do that and still tackle the other issues, he would need a unanimous consent agreement to limit debate.

According to Senate GOP aides, a unanimous consent agreement is all but certain to be a nonstarter because the bill's chief opponent, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.), will not agree to such a deal.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2010/12/s510_food_power_grab_may_be_st.html

tom.'s picture
tom.

Thank you for the update Rick, that makes me feel a little better.

inga's picture
inga

I have no problem with food being trace-able.  I am a small grower, (and I mean small) and I sell veggies, soap and eggs.....that said, charging me an arm and a leg for some kind of certification etc. will drive me out of production, which leaves one less 'local' provider.  Charge me 25$ an give me an ID number.  Fine.

I opted out of the local farmer's markets due to their ridiculous over-regulation, which stated I could NOT leave until dark....(sorry but I lock up my chickens at dusk, plus I do have a life, and it is hard to fit life in between cooping chickens and bedtime).  Also the local in store vendors in our town didn't want competition... so say you sell, 'soap', (which I do) and they don't want any one competing with the French soap they have on their shelves, so, they 'vote' you out of having a spot on the public commons to sell.  It's like being voted off the island.  I don't live in the city, so I have no say as to the 'enactment' of this law.

I don't mind paying a fee.  I don't mind picking up my litter.  I do mind not being able to park my vehicle near my stall.  (They told us to get a 'locked truck'...locked truck?  Really? A locked truck?  Nevermind my utility vehicle has 263,000 miles on it......and my body has more....Sure, let me run out to the money tree.

I do mind having to remain in the stall I paid for, unless I ASK PERMISSION TO LEAVE, which reminds me way too much of my parochial grade school days.  I figure, I pay for the stall....why does it matter to them when I leave?  If I am out of goods, why should I sit there?  When I got the 13 PAGE contract, I opted out....this for a farmer's market in a town of 6,000!  Many of us opted out

As far as SB510 goes, it is my understanding it doesn't apply to small vendors of RAW goods....you can sell the cukes, but not the pickles.  You can sell the berry but not the jam.  I can understand that, since I can and I could see some nasty problems if it isn't done right.  I would not sell my canned goods.  Too much liability.  I can only sell my eggs off farm now, as far as I know....I can't drive them to the crossroads and sell them there, nope.

My water is polluted from chicken poo from the million or so chickens down the road, and they are worried about my several dozen layers giving some one a disease???    Where is the regulation?  I am so persnickety, I even tried to get my chickens immunized....my vet laughed....she told me my coop was very clean and my flock healthy, and I was not the problem....

The 500+ cows down the road, make enough poo to match a city of 8,000 people which of course would require a fancy sewage system....what do they do with the cow poo.....fling it all over the surrounding fields....and sorry, there isn't enough acreage to absorb that kind of poo......it loads the aquifers with nitrates.  Fine if you are a guy....you save on viagra, right?  Seriously, the DNR looks the other way and we have to buy an RO system for water.

I remember when families ran the dairy farms, and they were 40 to 200 acres around here.  The land could handle the poo....and the families had work.  Was that so bad?

I am peeved with all the MISPLACED regulation and I am a progressive....Regulate the big dogs...it's about time....leave us little pups out of the mix.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Not my most cordial letter. LOL!!! 

My bet is that the staffer will just toss it out. But with intent I decided to add a little bit of anger to it. Perhaps to send a message the public is getting completely fed up with them. 

I will not go into detail regading my reasons but I will be watching your vote on S.510 with great concern. I urge you to vote NO on this bill. The right of Americans to engage in their own food production, unhindered by the federal government should NEVER be infringed upon. Can't you guys stop making damn laws that strip us of our remaining liberties and just go golfing instead? Hell, we'll re-elect you for it, I promise. 

Stop protecting me. Really. Stop the favoritism, this time to Monsanto, Smithfield, Cargill and other mega-culture businesses, and look out for us for once, would you? We're (the public) not all stupid. And if you're going to respond with a damn form letter then save me a little more deficit spending and don't bother wasting the franking privilege. Thanks. 

Sincerely, 

Pete

plato1965's picture
plato1965

Don't get mad...  get even!

Boycott Monsanto (et al)... and all who use their monopolised terminator-crud.

Favour products that are GM free. Make a list of those products containing GM / proprietary / patented grains.

Do not use the products or services of anyone who collaborates with them.. legal firms, supermarkets, accountants.

Make them a pariah. Make Monsanto a curse word..

A Monsanto (noun) - corrupt predatory control freak, who'd sell his grandmother for the melt cost of her fillings.

Strategy people.. STRATEGY !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r85OxK58KnE

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments