Self Sufficiency is at Stake!

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
fxfarms's picture
fxfarms
Self Sufficiency is at Stake!

This may not directly apply to you NOW; however, with those reading and paying close attention to this Website . . . this will be a future concern!

The National Animal Identification System (NAIS) is posing a bill to require all livestock owners to register their livestock with the governmental agency. Until now, this has not been an issue nor has it been a law.

The risk is simply the cost to raise your own chickens, the pleasure of riding horses anywhere you'd like, or even purchase a pig or beef and/or milk cow from a local farmer. This also greatly threatens heritage breeds that are crucial to our survival as a civilization if ever a epidemic sweeps across the livestock production. Let me briefly explain.

Because all production livestock are genetically similar, it does not take much to cause a catastrophic loss in numbers to sustain human needs. Heritage breeds are those that are genetically diverse enough to weather an epidemic better and preserve a natural reproduction process in times of serious need.

As we all know, agriculture is the foundation of all civilization. The backyard farmer or small-farmer will be those who can help provide food in times of need because full scale production farming will not always be around to supply the populations needs.

Please write your congressmen and senators to tell them to vote against the NAIS ruling. I have attached an in-depth list of details regarding this plan that prohibits small farmers, backyard growers and hobbyists from owning livestock.

-------------------------------------------------------

- It would will destroy heritage breeds of livestock that are crucial to the future of the agricultural industry in time of catastrophic epidemics.

- NAIS was invented by corporate agri-business, and is blatantly bent to favor them in both paperwork and in matters of extraordinary expense

- NAIS is a one-size-fits-all notion that completely ignores that industrial agri-business factories will be the hot-beds for disease should there be an outbreak

- Because of their irresponsible, profit-motivated, and profoundly unnatural maintenance practices which have lead to farm animals with unsound immunity, their stocks could die by the tens of thousands

- If NAIS's bill is passed into law, you will lose your local farms for the forseeable future either because we will be unable to pay the fees or because we will be forced to reflect these fees in our pricing which you will not be able to afford both of which will lead to the same end result of undermining our precious local economy and making you and your family entirely dependent on industrial food from farm away

- Agri-business and the transportation of food account for an estimated 20% of our national fuel consumption

becky's picture
becky
Re: Self Sufficiency is at Stake!

Here's a website that is set up to provide information on how to fight this:

http://nonais.org/ 

becky 

A. M.'s picture
A. M.

Thanks for the heads up...

This is tremendously important. Nothing's sacred to these idiots...

Arthur Vibert's picture
Arthur Vibert

fxfarms- 

This does seem important. I visited the website but I noticed that - at a cursory glance, anyway - the most recent post I could find was from January 2007.

Has there been additional activity since then? What is the current state of NAIS?

I would have thought that at this point it would either have been voted on or no longer an issue, but I don't know.

Thanks for your help.

Arthur 

DavidLachman's picture
DavidLachman

I remember when this was talked about a year or two ago.  Looks like they did a version that is not mandatory, so maybe the grassroots activism (or the Farm Bureau) had some effect!

Check out the USDA website for how the program works and why you should join!

http://animalid.aphis.usda.gov/nais/why/top_reasons.shtml

Remember, it's voluntary (at the moment). 

• Participation is your choice.
  • USDA has no plans to make participation in any component of NAIS mandatory.
  • Individual States may choose to keep participation voluntary or not, based on local needs.
  • USDA strongly believes that the best approach to NAIS is a voluntary system driven by the States and the private sector.
  • You decide - based on your needs - to participate in one, two, or all three components of NAIS.

Arthur Vibert's picture
Arthur Vibert

Thanks, David.

I checked out that site as well. It does seem it has all settled down, but of course I'm not in the ag industry - unless a home garden counts!

Arthur

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

I followed NAIS and several similar Ag Bills closely because there are already enough one-size-fits all regulations crushing the small farmer. In any case, NAIS was modified to be "voluntary"... but notice that the states can make it mandatory, but they can't ignore it. I feel this is just another case of "thin end of the wedge"... they got us to agree to a voluntary overloard, but how long will it be voluntary?!  Nothing the government does is temporary, and once the system is in place it exists only to grow and serve itself.

Almost all of the State and National Food codes should have appropriate exemptions for small producers, because they are not statistically a risk to public health safety... unfortunately they are a risk to agri-corp commerical profit. The regulations are so tough and fees/licensing so expensive to effectively make it cost prohibitive for a small farmer to operate, much less to make any sort of living. It's the whole "get big or get out" mentality!

MarkM's picture
MarkM

Arthur and others,

This has not settled down.  It has been introduced again Feb. 4, 2009.  It is in committee.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-875

PC, it will absolutely, in hindsight, have been the "thin end of the wedge".

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

Yes, the more mandatory and restrictive aspects of NAIS are back in HR-875 Yell

The language in this bill is very vague, and there's that little bit of wording in both the jurisdiction and prohibitions section that expands this essentially unlimited "everything we've said before and everything we might think of next" that is particularly scary.

People keep forgetting that National/Federal legislation of this nature is limited by the Constitution to interstate commerce only!  Anything you produce and sell direct to local customers does not fall into that category! But you get the states blindly accepting these bills without reading them, and the only ones to profit are the centralized agri-giants... all in the name of food safety and security, which is stupid because they are the risk factors and a centralized food supply is NOT safe or secure!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments