Seizing of Gold

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
ergamblin's picture
ergamblin
Seizing of Gold

Hello:

I'm just logged on to this website 1 hour ago, and have watched the first 10 chapters of the crash course.  Please forgive my ignorance, but I specifically remember that Chris Martenson mentioned that back around the time of the Great Depression, because of the "declared emergency", that the US Government "seized all of the gold in the nation."  My questions: 1. From whom did they seize it?  2.  What's to stop them from doing it again in another "emergency"?

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd
Re: Seizing of Gold

ergamblin,

First, welcome to the site! Second, here are two links from this site that may provide the information you are seeking:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/gold-confiscation/9436

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/lets-talk-about-gold-confiscation-ag...

If you need more, look back here. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will reply!

Chris

compinthegroove's picture
compinthegroove

Back in the Great Depression, the currency was backed by gold.  The argument goes that since gold was the base, it needed to be taken away in order to devalue the dollar.  I personally don't buy that argument at all.  A fiat decree would have sufficed.  To me it boils down to government theft of private property.  I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

Nate's picture
Nate

ergamblin,

The gold guys are also the gun guys. There is an average of 1 gun per person in the US.  It won't happen, because government would lose all legitimacy overnight (instead of 6 months from now). 

Nate

Set's picture
Set

I believe that somebody on this site once wrote that ‘they’ are already seizing your money through inflation so you might just as well take your chances with gold.  I also recall reading that the first time ‘they’ seized gold, most people didn’t turn it in as was required by law anyway.

gregroberts's picture
gregroberts
mike009's picture
mike009

I remember seeing a video somewhere that:      Fort Knox may not have the gold.        If it does then the US may retain some of its wealth.  If it doesn't then then the US will have absolutely nothing.   I also remember that the IMF  (proposed world bank ??? ) may have the largest amount of gold.  So that if people demanded going back to a gold standard that this would not be good because the IMF has the majority of gold.

Any comments? 

I think I saw it in a video called " The Money Masters"  

docmims's picture
docmims

Confiscation of gold requires gold in bank vaults where they can just confiscate it.  It would require physical gold owners to "fess" up and voluntarily give up their gold.  They do not have the manpower for house to house searches, and if they did they would lose that manipower very fast in random casualties.

Sorry officer I don't own any gold.  wish i did, i would give it to you to fund my govt.  have a nice day! 

Anyway, confiscation laws are not really to take the gold from the population, they are mainly to restrict trading in gold to help hide the fact that their fiat currency is worthless.  It is more of a politcal and propaganda move than an actual physical move to invade peoples homes.  FDR confiscated gold mainly so he could manipulate the price. and pay debts to European banks with inflated value gold.( which is why European banks have more origional american gold coins than exist in the entire US today.  Pretty funny since FDR paid the central bankers 90 percent gold coins as payment in gold through a loophole.)

idoctor's picture
idoctor

They have probably been selling us Fort Knox Gold all along knowing if they ever needed it back they would just confiscated it like they did before LOL...just joking. Really they do not have to confiscate it at all, all they have to do is make it illegal to use & whats the difference? If they said PMs are illegal to use as any form of money or barder how would it help us that hold the physical.....we could try to cross borders to exchange it in countries that don't outlaw it but many of us want those borders tighten up or closed to illegals. Could just as well work against us trying to cross for options we may need.

Carl Veritas's picture
Carl Veritas

Mike,

If the IMF member governments actually agreed to peg their currencies to gold again,    each will secure for themselves.   Now look at the member list and see who can bring the most guns to secure their share of the loot, er gold.     

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop

In order to understand the govt, which is currently "mobbed up", you have to think like a criminal--and this is no exaggeration. What would a self interested mobster, reliant on other crooks and the power elite for funds do, on a personal financial level? They'll run the currency right into the ground, pursuing profits, or just as an automatic consequence of their criminal behaviour. As international fiat is trashed, they'll start accumulating gold themselves.   Eventually measures may be undertaken to restore the currency and stabilize the economy but it will take a true grass roots revolution. Confiscation could be part of that scenario, but if the goal of confiscation is to discourage hoarding mentality, and weaken the value of paper currencies, as in the Depression, it's not likely.

As long as even a slim vestige of the current status quo remains, you can count on the mobsters in charge to do what is in THEIR self interest and that is to eventually reap huge rewards for their own personal gold caches.  Gold hasn't even begun it's run up.

compinthegroove's picture
compinthegroove
agitating prop wrote:

In order to understand the govt, which is currently "mobbed up", you have to think like a criminal--and this is no exaggeration. What would a self interested mobster, reliant on other crooks and the power elite for funds do, on a personal financial level? They'll run the currency right into the ground, pursuing profits, or just as an automatic consequence of their criminal behaviour. As international fiat is trashed, they'll start accumulating gold themselves.   Eventually measures may be undertaken to restore the currency and stabilize the economy but it will take a true grass roots revolution. Confiscation could be part of that scenario, but if the goal of confiscation is to discourage hoarding mentality, and weaken the value of paper currencies, as in the Depression, it's not likely.

As long as even a slim vestige of the current status quo remains, you can count on the mobsters in charge to do what is in THEIR self interest and that is to eventually reap huge rewards for their own personal gold caches.  Gold hasn't even begun it's run up.

This is exactly what I've been thinking. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments