"Seeking Solutions In An Uncertain World"

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
"Seeking Solutions In An Uncertain World"

A thoughtful guest post from over at good ol' ZeroHedge (which, even if it smells and sounds like a frat house from time to time, is still a fun and useful place):

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/guest-post-seeking-solutions-uncertain-...

A quote:

Quote:

Sun-tzu once said, “If your enemy is superior, evade him. If angry, irritate him. If equally matched, fight and if not, split and reevaluate.” As we navigate this socioeconomic maelstrom, an increasing number of people are weighing their options -- and some of the smarter folks I know are “going dark.”

What does that mean? They’re selling businesses, unwinding trading operations or otherwise distancing themselves from the capital markets. The thematic reasoning is straight out of an Ayn Rand novel: “I can’t compete and when I do, the rules of engagement change in the middle of the game. I’ll let the powers that be vanquish themselves and return in three to five years to sift through the remains.”

'nother one:

Quote:

As we wrestle with reality and attempt to operate in the best interests of ourselves and those we love, some have chosen to extricate themselves from an increasingly tenuous struggle to focus on the little things in life. I suppose they’re lucky to have that option and their actions are consistent with a widespread reprioritization following the Great Recession. I’ve written about them before; net worth vs. self-worth, having fun vs. being happy and the caveats of looking for validation at the bottom of a bank account.

Viva -- Sager

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv
Re: "Seeking Solutions In An Uncertain World"

Hello Sager,

I really enjoyed your ZeroHedge link (http://www.zerohedge.com/article/guest-p...) as it struck a personal chord.  The "get out while you can" chorus is getting louder and louder.  The article accurately stated that the current capital gains tax of 15% may soon become 28% or more depending on your tax bracket.  And, we wonder if the government will go after our 401ks, IRAs, pensions, life insurance payouts and all income differed plans.  Should we cash out and accept the current tax hit to hopefully regain control of our savings?

Tyler Durden went on to suggest that maybe "getting out" meant leaving the United States to protect your accumulated savings.  Yup, I pushed that hard with my wife three years ago in suggesting that we needed to research and visit possible escape destinations.  I wanted out, I had already taken other actions to mitigate potential losses but it wasn't enough in my mind. 

The second part of your post raised another important question; "As we wrestle with reality and attempt to operate in the best interests of ourselves and those we love, some have chosen to extricate themselves from an increasingly tenuous struggle to focus on the little things in life."

Fortunately for me this didn't become a haunting, reoccurring question.  My wife explained that if I was right, and things were going to get really bad; then we had better stay close to the people we love. 

I have read many times that we should prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  I won't accept that.  I think we should prepare for the worst and fight like hell for the best.

Larry

Thomas Hedin's picture
Thomas Hedin
Re: "Seeking Solutions In An Uncertain World"

The "get out while you can" chorus is getting louder and louder.

The sad part is the only way out of this mess is create money as a final payment but everyone seems more than willing to talk about anything but the actual problem.  The fact that all money is temporary and it's all based on interest bearing debt.  There is no way out of this rapious montetary system other than to replace it with something that works.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments