Scientists discover tiny solar panels that create themselves

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
jneo's picture
jneo
Status: Platinum Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 7 2009
Posts: 742
Scientists discover tiny solar panels that create themselves

 

http://dvice.com/archives/2010/09/scientists-disc.php

land2341's picture
land2341
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 20 2009
Posts: 402
Re: Scientists discover tiny solar panels that create ...

I dug way backwards on this and it is true.  But,  there are questions now about whether or not we have the will to make major changes to new energy sources.  The technology exists already and is ripe for improvements like this.  But, we won't do it until the whole mess that we have self-destructs.   There are far too many people with vested interests in the status quo.  I bet that this technology disappears as fast as this thread will.

Zapata's picture
Zapata
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 28 2010
Posts: 28
Re: Scientists discover tiny solar panels that create ...

Crazy, huh? Hundreds of billions for bailouts, and stuff like this an obscure back-story.

And there's a guy working on photovoltaic paint... probably out of his basement.

Land2431, that's the catch 22... the system insists that the market will get into new technology when it becomes cost effective, but by that time there will not be enough resources to develop the new technologies... ha, ha, joke's on us... smart little monkeys.

TNdancer's picture
TNdancer
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 20 2008
Posts: 127
Re: Scientists discover tiny solar panels that create ...

I wouldn't take that bet, Land. 

Fairly regularly, you'll see articles like this on solar innovations, that's it.....never see them make it to a store shelf where you can actually BUY them.

I've been hearing  "50 cents/watt" for PV was just around the corner for 30 years, and it never came to pass...so I finally just decided to bite the bullet and get mine....at about 6 bucks/watt.

mainebob's picture
mainebob
Status: Bronze Member (Offline)
Joined: Jan 13 2009
Posts: 97
Re: Scientists discover tiny solar panels that create ...

Eureka!.... I've made a discovery!

I'm looking out my window at trees with leaves...
These are tiny solar panels that make celulose!   Cool

-Bob

land2341's picture
land2341
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 20 2009
Posts: 402
Re: Scientists discover tiny solar panels that create ...

That is precisely where the idea came from.......

Diogenknees's picture
Diogenknees
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 25 2010
Posts: 109
Re: Scientists discover tiny solar panels that create ...
TNdancer wrote:

I wouldn't take that bet, Land. 

Fairly regularly, you'll see articles like this on solar innovations, that's it.....never see them make it to a store shelf where you can actually BUY them.

I've been hearing  "50 cents/watt" for PV was just around the corner for 30 years, and it never came to pass...so I finally just decided to bite the bullet and get mine....at about 6 bucks/watt.

 

Seems like too much to pay in the current market, a couple of places have been selling panels for under $2.00 a watt for over two years .

http://sunelec.com/

TNdancer's picture
TNdancer
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 20 2008
Posts: 127
Re: Scientists discover tiny solar panels that create ...

Perhaps I should have specified: Price per watt delivered to point of use.

Yeah.....panels ALONE, you can get that cheap.....if you'll take laminates or Chinese panels of questionable quality.

Getting decent mono panels will run in the 3 buck range.......which means nothing without the REST of the equipment to invert the DC and/or store it in batteries.   When you're done, assuming YOU do all the labor, guess watt ? (ahahaha)......6 bucks.

DurangoKid's picture
DurangoKid
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 25 2008
Posts: 174
Re: Scientists discover tiny solar panels that create ...

Just lends further evidence to what Mike Ruppert and many others have been saying for years.  There is no combination of alternative energy sources that can come close to oil.  Even if they were found today, it would be two or three decades before they could be scaled up to match hydrocarbon energy.  I noticed no mention of wattage per unit area, price and availibility of the chemicals in volved, overall cost of the process.  Nor was there any mention of the range of temperatures where this process works and how rugged it might be.  I saw the lab apparatus and nothing more.  I saw nothing to contradict the idea that in the very near term humanity will have to get by with a steadily declining capacity for useful work.

And another thing.  Plants capture about 0.1% to 0.2% of the available sunlight and convert it into carbohydrates.  Silicon solar cells are much more efficient except when you consider the embodied energy in their manufacture.  We have overshot the Earth's carrying capacity save for fossil hydrocarbons.  Take away the fossil hydrocarbons and we're left like Wyle E. Coyote several feet past the edge of a cliff.

Diogenknees's picture
Diogenknees
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 25 2010
Posts: 109
Re: Scientists discover tiny solar panels that create ...
DurangoKid wrote:

Just lends further evidence to what Mike Ruppert and many others have been saying for years.  There is no combination of alternative energy sources that can come close to oil.  Even if they were found today, it would be two or three decades before they could be scaled up to match hydrocarbon energy.  I noticed no mention of wattage per unit area, price and availibility of the chemicals in volved, overall cost of the process.  Nor was there any mention of the range of temperatures where this process works and how rugged it might be.  I saw the lab apparatus and nothing more.  I saw nothing to contradict the idea that in the very near term humanity will have to get by with a steadily declining capacity for useful work.

And another thing.  Plants capture about 0.1% to 0.2% of the available sunlight and convert it into carbohydrates.  Silicon solar cells are much more efficient except when you consider the embodied energy in their manufacture.  We have overshot the Earth's carrying capacity save for fossil hydrocarbons.  Take away the fossil hydrocarbons and we're left like Wyle E. Coyote several feet past the edge of a cliff.

 

The problem with Ruppert and the other Johnny come lately's is their message is often taken as "it's too late", or "we don't have the resources".  None of which prevents one from doing something about their own personal energy usage, buying a couple of panels, building your own solar water and thermal panels. The first solar water heater I built back in 1971is still functioning, itself made of scrap. It must have paid back the massive original investment of $22.00 for solder and glass quite some time ago......Cool

DurangoKid's picture
DurangoKid
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Oct 25 2008
Posts: 174
Re: Scientists discover tiny solar panels that create ...

There's a difference between backyard projects supplied from the local surplus shop and scaling up to run a world short on oil.  However much you scrounged or horse traded to get your equipment has little bearing on an industrial scale.  Who cares about EROEI when your outlay is $22 and a few feet of 60/40 solder?  It makes a big difference when you try to supply a city of hundreds of thousands.  Then it becomes a matter of interest rates, bond ratings, loans, taxation, city-wide changes to infrastructure, planning, zoning, storage, etc.  Not quite so simple.  Then we need to talk about lead time.  It looks like government and other institutions aren't ready to move on this until the oil problem is so obvious that it can no longer be denied.  Might be too late by then.  By then, the surplus market will likely be dried up by all the backyarder types who got the message early.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 10 2008
Posts: 3998
Re: Scientists discover tiny solar panels that create ...

I can buy 185W panels for slightly more than $500....  that's $2.70/W

Diogenknees's picture
Diogenknees
Status: Silver Member (Offline)
Joined: Jun 25 2010
Posts: 109
Re: Scientists discover tiny solar panels that create ...
DurangoKid wrote:

There's a difference between backyard projects supplied from the local surplus shop and scaling up to run a world short on oil.  However much you scrounged or horse traded to get your equipment has little bearing on an industrial scale.  Who cares about EROEI when your outlay is $22 and a few feet of 60/40 solder?  It makes a big difference when you try to supply a city of hundreds of thousands.  Then it becomes a matter of interest rates, bond ratings, loans, taxation, city-wide changes to infrastructure, planning, zoning, storage, etc.  Not quite so simple.  Then we need to talk about lead time.  It looks like government and other institutions aren't ready to move on this until the oil problem is so obvious that it can no longer be denied.  Might be too late by then.  By then, the surplus market will likely be dried up by all the backyarder types who got the message early.

All of which is pretty much my point, why wait for a one size fits all solution? That's the main reason little is being done, big business wants a status quo monopoly where you pay them every month, as has been the case for much of the 20th Century.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments