Scary: Where is Jim Rogers?

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Davos's picture
Davos
Scary: Where is Jim Rogers?

Scary when you have people like Mark Faber and Jim Chanos on opposite sides of  the fence.

Now Soros, who I really respect is saying that gold is in a bubble. Using Minsky's 7 identifiers I don't see that.

Where is Rogers?????

With a 70-30 vote adding a new cartridge to the printer and wit 120 trillion in debt I just don't see how gold could be in a bubble.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
leo0648's picture
leo0648
Re: Scary: Where is Jim Rogers?

When Soros says sell, he is buying.  He didn't become a billionaire being stupid.  When Soros says to start buying...sell.

It's similar to GS saying oil is going to $200/bbl then oil prices collapse.

Davos's picture
Davos

Thanks, it really drives me nuts when the best are no longer on the same page. I mean it really rocks the foundation. I'm sticking with my 4 g's (5 if I count grub). Soros is a smart guy, but using Hyman Minsky's what is a bubble guide I don't see this as a bubble. Today the Senate with a 70-30 vote put the ink cartridge back in the printer. Gold might consolidate a bit more but - even though I hate to say it - I don't agree with Soros. I'm sticking to my gut and Williams, Puplava, Faber.

investorzzo's picture
investorzzo

one more in the breach my friend.......

Bert Dohmen talks about the bear ralley. Dollar and gold.

January 27th, 2010

http://www.mcalvany.com/podcast/

Davos's picture
Davos
investorzzo wrote:

one more in the breach my friend.......

Bert Dohmen talks about the bear ralley. Dollar and gold.

January 27th, 2010

http://www.mcalvany.com/podcast/

The 9 minute point was interesting.

Davos's picture
Davos

PS This is a good read on it also:

The gold GLD ETF is the 4th largest holding at Soros's hedge fund.

ccpetersmd's picture
ccpetersmd

For what its worth, I'm in cash at present, expecting the dollar to remain strong, and also for gold to fall in the months ahead. I'm certainly not selling any of the gold or silver I own, but am not buying at present, either. I don't have any good source that underlies my reasoning, just a lose amalgam of a variety of sources and suspicions.

Still, I'm a married man, and I have become accustomed to being wrong a high percentage of the time...

Davos's picture
Davos
ccpetersmd wrote:

For what its worth, I'm in cash at present, expecting the dollar to remain strong, and also for gold to fall in the months ahead. I'm certainly not selling any of the gold or silver I own, but am not buying at present, either. I don't have any good source that underlies my reasoning, just a lose amalgam of a variety of sources and suspicions.

Still, I'm a married man, and I have become accustomed to being wrong a high percentage of the time...

Ditto to the married part. Funny!

No, we are sticking to 95% gold and silver. Most was purchased earlier. We have little cash. Interest rates could go up, listening to FSN speak of the bond vigilantes but with the print cartridge back I don't know if that will or won't happen. I suppose if they turn 401k's and IRA's into GRA's it could give them enough buyers of bonds for a while...But I have no faith in paper, equities or bonds. Which leaves just this.

Still it really, really, really bothers me to see Soros say this. Smart people should stick to the same page. 

Phil Williams's picture
Phil Williams

I agree, I can't see this scenario working out for the fiat currencies of the world. Sure, they will go up and down against each other, but in the long run, I agree with Marc Faber, "We are doomed! Doomed!" The money printers around the world will print, that is what they do. I would rather be wrong in the short run, than wrong in the long run. The dollar's just winning the ugly contest. 

ao's picture
ao
leo0648 wrote:

When Soros says sell, he is buying.  He didn't become a billionaire being stupid.  When Soros says to start buying...sell.

True.  He's done it before, he'll do it again.  Methinks he just wants to add to his position at a bargain price.  Gold's going to be volatile as heck in the coming year.  It won't be an easy ride on the bull.  

ao's picture
ao
Davos wrote:

Good find!  This pretty much says it all about duplicitous George.  I wouldn't be surprised if gold becomes the ultimate bubble but IMHO it hasn't inflated to the popping stage yet.  The volatility's going to be wicked but I'm hanging on to mine.     

docmims's picture
docmims
leo0648 wrote:

yep.  Soros is a wealth of misinformation.  Gold may correct 20 percent, but it isn't a bubble till it hits 2000.

Davos's picture
Davos
ao wrote:
Davos wrote:

Good find!  This pretty much says it all about duplicitous George.  I wouldn't be surprised if gold becomes the ultimate bubble but IMHO it hasn't inflated to the popping stage yet.  The volatility's going to be wicked but I'm hanging on to mine.     

One note on this; in the article it says this position was (only as current) as of Oct 09 (based on SEC filings) .... But I tend to agree that he didn't spend a quarter of a billion to do a "day trade."

LogansRun's picture
LogansRun

Davos,

No disrespect intended but, I'm surprised by your love of Soros.  Member of Bilderberg.  Best friends of the Bush Family.  Works/Worked for Carlisle Group.  Helped G&S set up the Cap and Trade Exchange and believes in Carbon Taxes.  Friends and confidant of Brezinski.  The list goes on and on.  IMO, he's one of the ultra wealthy/elite because he gets the info on what's going to take place before anyone else.  In fact, he's one of the persons that's pushing the manipulation of the system.  

Don't know if you've done any research on the guy, but you may want to check it out.  He's associated with way too many "bad" people and "bad" organizations to not be one of them.  Just my opinion of course, but I'm not the only one to think this.  

Respect always.

LR

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

This is from Jim Sinclairs site. Posted today

Posted: Jan 28 2010     By: Jim Sinclair      Post Edited: January 28, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Filed under: General Editorial

Dear Extended Family,

Today I have received many emails concerning Mr. Soros’ dislike of gold. You may have noticed that Mr. Buffett and Mr. Soros seem to be in a PR contest for the position of spokesperson for the future of the USA.

Many Americans erroneously see gold as anti-American and those that do not see a major future for the US dollar as traitors.

You will recall Mr. Buffett’s recent entry into the railroad business was deemed by him and others as being a vote of absolute confidence in America’s continued economic recovery and its sustainability. It is sort of a quasi-competition for economic President of the USA.

I file his bearishness as what he sees as a patriotic position

Nobody can jawbone the gold market for more than a very short term period. Gold is going to and through $1224.10 on its way to $1274-$1278. Following this gold will move onward to $1650 prior to reaching Alf’s and Martin’s published price objectives. This will happen regardless of the many top callers and self deemed patriots screaming out of the woods today.

Respectfully,
Jim

Brainless's picture
Brainless

I accumulate physical gold a little every month, about 0.5 to 1 ounce. I started when it was 725US$ and am still buying at $1100.

This will keep me sane as trying to buy low and sell high gives me stress. I actually not even look at the price anymore, because the money i spend on gold would normally be spend on frivolous things. Because i started a while back i now not feel the urgency to buy more quickly. With all the things happening i still feel the same that a collapse will happen. If not all the better, even if my gold would be worth only 100US$ an ounce it still fulfilled its purpose as an insurance.

So a bubble or not, or financial wizards agree or not. I just follow my own instincts.

Davos's picture
Davos
LogansRun wrote:

Davos,

No disrespect intended but, I'm surprised by your love of Soros.  Member of Bilderberg.  Best friends of the Bush Family.  Works/Worked for Carlisle Group.  Helped G&S set up the Cap and Trade Exchange and believes in Carbon Taxes.  Friends and confidant of Brezinski.  The list goes on and on.  IMO, he's one of the ultra wealthy/elite because he gets the info on what's going to take place before anyone else.  In fact, he's one of the persons that's pushing the manipulation of the system.  

Don't know if you've done any research on the guy, but you may want to check it out.  He's associated with way too many "bad" people and "bad" organizations to not be one of them.  Just my opinion of course, but I'm not the only one to think this.  

Respect always.

LR

Thanks LR. I knew of only some of these. Whenever he speaks I worry about his SDR talk and a new world currency and whatever else (like new world order) would come tied to that. I guess I have always thought of him as a decent man. A few of those associations would preclude him being a choir boy.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
brainless wrote:

I accumulate physical gold a little every month, about 0.5 to 1 ounce. I started when it was 725US$ and am still buying at $1100.

This will keep me sane as trying to buy low and sell high gives me stress. I actually not even look at the price anymore, because the money i spend on gold would normally be spend on frivolous things. Because i started a while back i now not feel the urgency to buy more quickly. With all the things happening i still feel the same that a collapse will happen. If not all the better, even if my gold would be worth only 100US$ an ounce it still fulfilled its purpose as an insurance.

Hey brainless, I think that's a real good strategy!  I try to do something similar, but also find I am juggling that with spending on other preps.  But that's fine.  It all feels like insurance to me, and beats flushing my hard-earned $ down the toilet in my "retirement account" that I can't access!

-pinecarr

idoctor's picture
idoctor

ao's picture
ao
Why Soros is probably buying gold now

I see that others have the same thoughts that we've expressed on this board.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/185447-why-soros-is-probably-buying-gold-now?source=email

BigBadBakken's picture
BigBadBakken

The gold ETF doesn't give 'shareholders' a claim on any physical gold, so I don't see this as a 'ploy' to drive prices down to insure he can accumulate as much as possible at  a much lower point in the sense that many here seem to be hinting at. Obviously, he may be buying physical gold in bulk elsewhere, but the play in GLD to me, is just that, a play. I by no means, am a fan of Soros and his 'dealings' but I think its jumping the gun a bit to assume this is a sign of some nefarious plot to drive out the little guys so he can suck up all the  physical gold because of some inside knowledge he may have about the future of major fiat curriencies.

.....gosh it really felt good to NOT be on the conspiracy bandwagon for the first time in awhile! LOL! I need a break from the news. Oh how I distrust the powers to be anymore....

leo0648's picture
leo0648

Jim Rogers-"You can't print a zinc mine very quickly"

plato1965's picture
plato1965

Commodity funds 'could be next bubble to burst'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jan/31/commodity-funds-warning

"With this GLD certificate, I thee wed"  ?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments