Saving Video's off Youtube - Here's one method that works

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
maveri's picture
maveri
Saving Video's off Youtube - Here's one method that works

I have seen a number of posts that contain links to youtube video's etc.

These are great but unfortantly youtube doesn't readily allow you to save the content for viewing later on whilst offline.

After a bit of searching (not a lot to be honest) I discovered an easy way to be able to save the youtube content for later viewing (and convert it into other formats if you desire). Yes, there is a ton of software that does this but this one has been verified by myself and a lot of others use it as well.

For this operation, I use the following software:

1. Firefox Web Browser  http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/  - FREE

2. VLC Media Player  http://www.videolan.org/vlc/  - FREE (this media player will play just about anything and runs on multiple platform types as well)

Steps:

1. Install firefox (it can happily exist with IE and will not cause problems having both web browsers installed - just make sure when you install it, you don't select it as your default browser if you want to keep IE as your main browser)

2. Connect to 'Downloadhelper' website  http://www.downloadhelper.net/index.php  using the firefox web browser.

3. Select the install TAB

4. Click on 'ADD to Firefox'  and your done!

Now, when your browsing youtube and you have a link for a video file, you simply Right Click on the link and in the dropdown list you will have an option 'Downloadhelper' and selecting this will give you the option of saving the content :-)

Firefox will add the download to it's download list and commence a download of the file - note: multiple files cna be queued for download and firefox will work it's way through the files, downloading one at a time.

The file will be saved with the filetype .FLV.

To replay this file, you can use the VLC media player.

5. Start VLC and select file open etc etc etc or drag and drop the video file onto the player.

You can also use VLC to convert the video file from a .FLC file to other formats.

- Start VLC, select Convert/Save and select your input, then select your output filename and the various format options you want.

Hope this is helpful for people - I know this stuff can be gleened by doing a google search etc but I thought it might be nice to share with others what I do as I know it works. I've used this method to get Dr Albert Bartlett's video's on exponential functions etc to my work mates for example - this tends to work better than providing links as where I work we are behind a filter and a lot of stuff simply doesn't work (like youtube).

:-)

Michael Höhne's picture
Michael Höhne
Re: Saving Video's off Youtube - Here's one method that ...

Thanks, it works great. I will try to create a video DVD with some material I watched recently and I'm interested to see if it works and how the quality is when watching on TV. 

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Do any of you techies know a way to take a youtube video and burn just the audio to a CD? I've often wanted to be able to hear youtube stuff while driving in my car - sometimes the video is not really important to the message.

barrt's picture
barrt

Great tip maveri thanks

DrKrbyLuv, (can i call you Dr Luv for short? Laughing) To record sound from youtube, or from anywhere else, click on your start button (presuming you use windows) go up to Accessories, then click on Sound Recorder, press record while you listen to the videos on youtube, then burn the resulting file to a cd

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

barrt - thanks for the tip...Dr Luv will be fine

maveri's picture
maveri
Michael Höhne wrote:

Thanks, it works great. I will try to create a video DVD with some material I watched recently and I'm interested to see if it works and how the quality is when watching on TV. 

Excellent - I'm glad I have been able to contribute :-)

Sadly, the video quality from youtube tends to be quite low.

You might be better off trying to source the original articles if you require high quality.

I've used the video's to put together a CD/DVD for some of the people at my work. People get so many links emailed these days that they just don't bother checking many of things you send - but I've found that if I rock up with a CD/DVD in hand with some of the stuff you want to show them, it gets a better response. I've even opened their CD/DVD player, popped it in and said "Hey - you should check out this"...

A LOT of people are still living in fairly land (as I was) and it's quite sad to think about what may happen to a lot of those people as they see no need to prepare at all. Some people even say they don't want to hear doom and gloom, others listen but can't see how it can really happen - as in Australia they really have only known times of plenty - still, I'm trying to do my bit. I'm am soooooooo greateful to the person who sent me 'Money as Debt' and the link to 'The Crash Course', it's helped me realise that everything is just not alright and that it's just sensible to do something at least.

I guess if there is a total collapse of everything as a worst case, the positive will be that people will hopefully band together and drop all the superficial crud in life. It also makes you realise that despite cultures and beliefs etc, when you get down to it we are all united by our common need to survive - it's just nice to have like minded people here who want to help each other prepare as much as possible.

jkibbe's picture
jkibbe
Status: Martenson Brigade - YouTube Channel Admin (Offline)

Here's another method:

1. Go to http://www.zamzar.com/url/ and paste the YouTube URL into Step 1 of the form.
  2. For Step 2, choose the filetype you want to save the YouTube video to.  I choose mp4 to play on my iPod as a video, or mp3 if I want audio only.
  3. Type in your email address and hit convert.
  4. After a few minutes you'll get a download link in your email.
  5. Click on the link, download, and voila!

I've been using the service for years and it works great.  You can also convert pics and text docs to other formats at http://www.zamzar.com/

Enjoy!

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

It wouldn't surprise me in a "national emergency" for the internet to be shut down. So saving videos to disk isn't a bad idea actually.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments