Safe Foods And Supplements Thread

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Poet's picture
Poet
Safe Foods And Supplements Thread

Since the meltdowns at the Fukushima nuclear power plants after the March 11, 2011 earthquake and tsunami, a number of us have begun to be concerned about the safety or possible contamination of food and other inputs. This could be fish, other meat, milk, vegetables, seaweed, etc. - not just products sourced from Japan or nearby, but also foods local to you as well. We all have ourselves and our families - especially those with ongoing pregnancies and children - to worry about.

Please post what you believe are "safe" sources for our consideration. Please make sure to include source documentation and/or links for us to check out.

If you actually spoke with or corresponded with a manufacturer or producer, please provide the company, full name of contact, title, the date of contact, and the exact as possible quote of their words.

It would also be important to keep abreast of updates from scientists, NGOs, and other respected sources (Dr. Martenson, Dogs_In_A_Pile, etc.). (But please, try to find reasoned, calm sources. We all know there are some food nuts out there.)

Thank you! Let's crowdsource this so we can all benefit!

Poet

Poet's picture
Poet
Nordic Naturals for DHA, EPA, Omega-3

Nordic Naturals for DHA, EPA, Omega-3

"Nordic Naturals Arctic Cod Liver Oil products are made from 100% Arctic cod livers, from wild Arctic cod (Skrei) that are sustainably harvested from northern Norwegian waters. Nordic Naturals Kenai Wild™ Alaskan Salmon Oil is made from pink and sockeye salmon, sustainably harvested wild from the Cook Inlet in the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska. All other Nordic Naturals products are made from wild, sustainably harvested sardines and anchovies from the South Pacific Ocean off the coast of Peru."

"Molecular distillation removes impurities (heavy metals, dioxides, etc.), saturated fats, and other undesirable organic compounds. Molecular distillation is gentle with exceptionally low heat residence time and is performed in a vacuum to further reduce heat requirement. All time and temperature specifications are proprietary, but we can assure you that no trans fats are created during any of our distillation processes. Any potential impurities and saturated fats are distilled out of the oil, leaving only the key beneficial components of the fish oil."

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/FAQ%27s/FAQs/389

We used Nordic Naturals for pre-natal DHA, and now for nursing DHA for our six-month-old babies. Momma takes it and passes it on to the babies. They seem to be doing just fine, both have hit mental/emotional develmental benchmarks early or on time so far.

Poet

Poet's picture
Poet
Trader Joe's Roasted Seaweed Snacks

I know a lot of the seaweed snacks are from Korea or Japan.

Trader Joe's roasted seaweed snack is from Korea and apparently was harvested over a year ago:
"Thank you for contacting us. The seaweed used in this product was harvested a year ago, long before any of the radiation concerns. Thank you for shopping with Trader Joe's."
http://www.usfoodsafety.com/foodsafetyexpert.aspx

So that sounds safe.

Please Note: Roasted seaweed laver includes oil (such as sunflower or sesame). You don't want to keep it past the expiration date. I've tried some about a year or two past expiration, and I think the oil had partially polymerized or dried up by then - it smelled and tasted a little plastic.

Poet

gaia grrrl's picture
gaia grrrl
supplements, herbs, seaweed, seafood recommendation

Hello CM Community,

While this is my first post, I‘ve been following Chris Martenson and this website since Fall 2008.  I bought 30 copies of the first version of  The Crash Course, and have been sporadically engaged in resiliency preparations since Spring 2009.  I also love food (growing, cooking and eating) and am health conscious and particular about the quality of my water, food, supplements, etc.  I buy local & organic when possible, and prefer to buy from companies that support fair trade and sustainable practices.

When Chris put out his post-Fukushima alert (Nuclear and Economic Meltdown in Progress), I went back into prep mode, updated my to-do list, and re-stocked my supplies of  bulk foods and supplements, hoping to get items that were harvested/manufactured before March 11th.

In terms of supplements, I highly recommend The Synergy Company,  www.TheSynergyCompany.com. The founder and product developer, Mitchell May, is uncompromising about the purity and potency of his products, and goes to great lengths to test raw materials and final products. When I expressed concern about radioactive contamination to their customer service rep in late April, she said something to the effect of  “Mitchell is very much on top of this & is in close communication with our supplier in Japan… We will never ship anything contaminated, and we may need to change our formulas if we can’t find safe sources of ingredients.”  I have been using their products for about 15 years, and have the highest regard for the quality of their supplements and the integrity of the company.

Other companies that I have been purchasing from for about 10 years, and recommend are: Gaia Herbs, www.gaiaherbs.com , which manufactures herbal tinctures and capsules for a wide range of health concerns, that you can find at most health food stores;  and Mountain Rose Herbs, www.mountainroseherbs.com, which carries a huge selection of bulk organic herbs and teas, as well as other herbal products.  Both of these companies do extensive testing and have strong quality control protocols.

One of the things I’ve been grappling with the past two months since Fukushima, is the realization that everything I eat and drink is probably contaminated to some degree. (The purist in me really has a hard time with this!)  It’s a question of degree of contamination, and whether a company does their utmost to source the safest raw materials, to minimize polluting practices, and do vigorous testing and be forthright about their results.

Given this criteria, if you’ve looking for seaweed (& seaweed snacks and supplements), I recommend Maine Coast Sea Vegetables, www.seaveg.com . They have done voluntary toxicity testing on their seaweeds since 1988. When I spoke with a customer service rep in early May, she said their results have been negative for petroleum byproducts, pesticides and biological contaminants, but have shown some heavy metal contamination. She said they hope to have their 2010 harvest test results up on their website in the next month. When I inquired about testing for radioactive fallout, she said they are working with a local scientist at University of Maine who does environmental testing, and will begin testing for radioactive contamination with their 2011 harvest.

And if you choose to eat canned seafood, especially tuna, I recommend Wild Planet Seafood, www.wildplanetfoods.com . They fish for smaller and younger species of tuna that have less bioaccumulation of mercury, and plan to start testing for radioactive contamination with their current catches. They also have Alaskan salmon, California sardines and Oregon shrimp. I recently decided to stop eating tuna altogether, but when I did eat it, I really liked the taste of Wild Planet tuna.

Well, I apologize for the length of this post, and I hope this info is helpful.

Lastly, I want to offer a huge THANK YOU to this community for all your comments and posts, as well as behind-the-scenes efforts. I’ve learned so much from Chris and all of you, and really appreciate the thoughtful and civil level of communication. I wish you all well in your preparations for our uncertain future...

Gaia Grrl

Poet's picture
Poet
U.S. Government Resources

I found the following resources that may be helpful.

FDA
At the FDA web site (http://www.fda.gov/) I saw a Public Health section with a link to a Radiation Safety page:
"What is FDA doing to ensure the safety of products imported from Japan? FDA’s screening at U.S. borders will remain vigilant and will be augmented with radiation screening of shipments..."
http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/publichealthfocus/ucm247403.htm

The next two don't seem to be as useful.

USDA, Radiation Safety Division
http://www.dm.usda.gov/ohsec/rsd/

USDA, Food Safety and Inspection Service
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/

Poet

jneo's picture
jneo
    I've have always like

I've have always enjoyed www.iherb.com

Stock Up

ckessel's picture
ckessel
food resources

Gaia Grrrl,

Thanks for the food source references.  We are doing another round of long term food storage for folks that are just now into the prep mode. The subject of sources for various types of food always comes up so I am going to pass along your post to the group.

Coop

aquariusmediaaseo's picture
aquariusmediaaseo
 Good thread. I like the

Good thread. I like the suugestions of all the members. Thanks for sharing this thread with me.Keep sharing this type of posts.

SPAM_captlevi21's picture
SPAM_captlevi21
I just read your article and

I just read your article and it was totally great, it contains a lot of useful ideas, it is also written in organize manner,thanks for sharing this kind of article.

gain targeted twitter followers.

husher123's picture
husher123
Hi Good Day! It's my first

Hi Good Day! It's my first time to visit this site. I just read your article and I was totally amaze. It contains a lot of valuable information, that could catch up a readers. Supplements, herbs, seaweed, seafood recommendation it could help me and others to build up a healthy lifestyle. Thank you for sharing this valuable information to us. I'm hoping for more updates on this. Keep sharing and god bless!
Be with us <a href="http://getmyfollowers.org/targeted-twitter-followers/">
how to get targeted twitter followers

cloudgenius's picture
cloudgenius
Good Day everyone !   I

Good Day everyone !
  I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page.
and i really appreciate your goodness,

we are real and legit so you can  purchase twitter retweets to us..
God Bless.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments